***Official Political Discussion Thread***

4gndl23zv1s61.jpg

It's funny that one of the pictures says that you have to pass a civic exam to vote, considering that according to the Woodrow Wilson Foundation, only 33% of American-born citizens could pass the citizenship test, and that's only getting 6 out of 10 questions right. I bet there would be a lot more unemployed liberal arts voters than plumbers.

Lol Texas is worse than Florida. Give people 30 days to leave then send it off with whoever stays :lol:

I was born and raised in Austin. Tough to watch how bad the politicians/policies are here.
The only thing that has me hopeful is how many tech businesses are relocating here from the west coast and bringing all their employees, Elon Musk calling for educated people from all over to move here, and the Republicans not realizing their business tax breaks and incentives are eventually gonna turn the state blue.

I was born and raised in Austin. Tough to watch how bad the politicians/policies are here.
The only thing that has me hopeful is how many tech businesses are relocating here from the west coast and bringing all their employees, Elon Musk calling for educated people from all over to move here, and the Republicans not realizing their business tax breaks and incentives are eventually gonna turn the state blue.

Austin felt further left of center before the first wave of Californian libertarians invaded in the late 90's. To me, modern Austin is a story of two freeways: 35 and MoPac...

But I too miss the Anne Richards and Lloyd Benson Texas of my childhood. People seem to have lost their damned mind.

Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 4.38.55 PM.png

The House Ethics Committee on Friday said it has opened an investigation into Rep. Tom Reed (R-N.Y.) over allegations of sexual misconduct.

Reed said last month that he would not seek reelection or pursue a gubernatorial campaign following a Washington Post report detailing former lobbyist Nicolette Davis's allegations that he sexually harassed her in 2017.

House Ethics Committee Chairman Ted Deutch (D-Fla.) and the panel's top Republican, Rep. Jackie Walorski (Ind.), said in a joint statement that the panel has launched an investigation "and will gather additional information regarding the allegations."

Davis told the Post that Reed drunkenly rubbed her body and unhooked her bra while they were seated next to each other at a pub after a day of ice fishing. She was working as a junior insurance lobbyist at the time during a weekend trip to benefit the campaign committee of then-Rep. Erik Paulsen (R-Minn.).

The 2020 election cycle drew three mysterious no-party candidates in contentious and expensive Senate races — Districts 37 and 39 in Miami-Dade and District 9 in Central Florida — all won by Republicans. The candidates did no independent campaigning, had little to no public profiles, and their candidacies were all bolstered by similarly designed political mail advertisements that were paid for by $550,000 in untraceable funds.

Alfonso’s candidacy shared similarities to Rodriguez’s:

▪ Both candidates’ email addresses were Gmail accounts with identical patterns: first initial, last name, district number and “2020.”

▪ They also had identical campaign finance records, both only reporting $2,000 loans to themselves, and using the money to pay for the $1,187.88 filing fee required of no-party candidates for state Senate.

▪ Both Rodriguez and Alfonso were registered Republicans when they voted in the 2018 midterm elections.

▪ Both Rodriguez and Alfonso qualified for the 2020 election on the same day, with checks hand-delivered in Tallahassee and time-stamped within minutes of one another.

A third no-party candidate also benefited from the mailers — Jestine Ianotti — who ran in District 9, which covers Seminole and Volusia counties and was won by Republican Jason Brodeur.

While probing the case, investigators said they found Artiles flew to Tallahassee to hand-deliver Rodriguez’s check and paperwork at the Florida Division of Elections.

You from austin ? North or Southside?

Back
Top Bottom