***Official Political Discussion Thread***

EuphoricBogusArmyworm-size_restricted.gif

No metal on the subway is impossible to enforce
Why even entertain ridiculousness like that?

I'd imagine the aim is more so to get people to show what they are bringing on trains...not to prevent metal from being brought onto a subway.
Making everyone go through a metal detector and questioning them about what they're bringing on the subway is impossible to enforce

And if we return to the NYPD just using their "discernment" on who to search like the old days then we're just gonna see massive racial disparities in application

It's not a realistic proposal and the question shouldn't even be asked

Making everyone go through a metal detector and questioning them about what they're bringing on the subway is impossible to enforce
But why?

I do understand the congestion it would cause in morning or afternoon travels. But I think an attempt to keep everyone safe is worthy of adding 10 minutes to folks commutes.

I dunno. Not saying I'm right, I just have a hard time accepting the idea that it's impossible.

Inconvenient? Sure. Impossible though?

But why?

I do understand the congestion it would cause in morning or afternoon travels. But I think an attempt to keep everyone safe is worthy of adding 10 minutes to folks commutes.

I dunno. Not saying I'm right, I just have a hard time accepting the idea that it's impossible.

Who is gonna do all these security checks?

And it won't just add 10 mins. During rush hour lines will form waiting for security checks. Ever been to a busy airport during peak times? What takes longer, waiting in the line to go through the TSA security check, or the security check itself.

So most of the time increase from the checks will come from waiting to be checked. You are probably talking about adding massive time to people's commutes.

And again, who is gonna do these checks?

Last edited:
But why?

I don't know about you, but I've ridden the subway my entire life
A 10 minute delay at any time of the day is being idealistic
And that doesn't include the multiple other delays we already have to deal with
It won't go over well, it wont be enforced well and it addresses none of the actual issues with the MTA service
It's essentially another waste of time that only serves the purpose of funneling money to the NYPD

And it won't just add 10 mins. During rush hour lines will form waiting for security checks. Ever been to a busy airport during peak times? What takes longer, waiting in the line to go through the TSA security check, or the security check itself.

So most of the time increase from the checks will come from waiting to be checked. You are probably talking about adding massive time to people's commutes.

It's hard to fathom just how packed many stations get if it's not something you regularly experience. We're talking lines out of the station and down the block for some places and for no guarantee that we're actually that much safer

Millions ride every day. People are not gonna line up single file and wait their turn while the NYPD looks through bags because a lighter set off the detector

The who question seems like a small hurdle. Sounds like job creation.

Airport visit during peak hours? I dont travel often...not sure what are peak hours for an airport. But the wait for the security check definitely took longer than the check itself.

My 10 minute guess was definitely a number pulled out of thin air. That said, it would be on the MTA to figure out a system that would limit the mass delays as much as possible. And I definitely think it's possible, just needs to be thought out.

I don't know about you, but I've ridden the subway my entire life
A 10 minute delay at any time of the day is being idealistic
And that doesn't include the multiple other delays we already have to deal with
It won't go over well, it wont be enforced well and it addresses none of the actual issues with the MTA service
It's essentially another waste of time that only serves the purpose of funneling money to the NYPD

It's hard to fathom just how packed many stations get if it's not something you regularly experience. We're talking lines out of the station and down the block for some places and for no guarantee that we're actually that much safer

Millions ride every day. People are not gonna line up single file and wait their turn while the NYPD looks through bags because a lighter set off the detector
Used to take the train in high school. This is in the Chicago and not down town. So I've never seen PACKED stations to the extent yall probably deal with there.

People being unwilling to participate doesnt equate to not at least making the effort. Very much like mask wearing in that regard IMO.

I dont imagine the process being simple or ease at all. However I do suspect it is worthwhile to at least investigate how it could work.

My 10 minute guess was definitely a number pulled out of thin air. That said, it would be on the MTA to figure out a system that would limit the mass delays as much as possible. And I definitely think it's possible, just needs to be thought out.
That you are way over your skis is obvious
I dont imagine the process being simple or ease at all. However I do suspect it is worthwhile to at least investigate how it could work.

Start with the fact that there are over 3 million subway rides per day:

And only 2 million air passengers in the entire USA.

So you basically want NY to implement a screening program 50% larger than the TSA. It took Homeland Security years with massive federal funding to get the TSA to the terrible level of service it is today. It’s not uncommon to see line delays over 30 minutes in large hubs. No proposal that adds an hour to an NYC commute on any day, much less frequently, will be tolerated.

Based Jesus Based Jesus is absolutely correct; screening subway riders is in no way a serious proposal.

yeah adding screening is a horrible idea. unlike flying, which even for frequent flyers is only every few days, people ride the subway multiple times per day.

if we're going to screen everybody riding the subway we should also start screening every driver before they're allowed to start their car.

Airport visit during peak hours? I dont travel often...not sure what are peak hours for an airport. But the wait for the security check definitely took longer than the check itself.

Used to take the train in high school. This is in the Chicago and not down town. So I've never seen PACKED stations to the extent yall probably deal with there.

People being unwilling to participate doesnt equate to not at least making the effort. Very much like mask wearing in that regard IMO.

Job creation sure - it would take an enormous organisation to screen every passenger all day every day. You’d need equipment and staff at every station all hours it was open. The cost would be astronomical.

All of this is just a long-winded way of admitting that you don't live in NYC and don't ride the subway.

Listen to the people who know the city and use the subway system: it would be a terrible idea.

I argue this with coworkers who are transplants or who live outside of nyc but try to make a comment. I moved to nyc when I was 7 in 93. I seen some ****, heard ****, and went through ****. Compared to the 90s this is nothing. I would even say that the crime rate didn’t really turn until the late 00s. So guliane gets too much credit.

Now has crime spiked yes it has and that’s never a good thing and we should never move backwards. But to make it seem as if nyc is dangerous is a joke. You always needed to have your head on a swivel and if you didn’t then that’s on you. Reminds me when I use to party in the BX outside of Fordham at the bars just outside. Neighborhood obviously was pretty hood surround the campus but campus is filled with pretty much from suburban kids or transplants coming for college.

Met some locals outside and started joking and talking with them. They just said, “don’t worry I know you’re from nyc just by how you talk and walk, but some of these kids are going to get mugged today.” I just game him a dap, laughed, and back into the bar. :lol: it was the same thing with where I grew up. We’d hit the bars up around Williamsburg and the transplants would get mugged at night by dudes from bed sty and bushwick. **** don’t change really.

Back
Top Bottom