***Official Political Discussion Thread***

1687811468302.png

Speaking more about the domestic effects of inflation, what do you make of the argument that If we’re in a rising inflation environment, companies will likely increase prices because consumers are conditioned for price increases?
They will keep rising prices all long as consumer spending can keep up. (But there is a breaking point of course. If there was an inflation spiral, there would nothing anyone could do to stop it. Not even companies putting their greed aside)

We have proactive central banks so really companies know the breaks will be put on eventually, so you gotta extract as much as you can while you can.

I think we are at a point where we are not seeing widespread price increases, more like inflated prices being sticky. Consumers still express displeasure over inflation, but it seems more and more they are accepting the new normal.

And don't really think people are conditioned for price increases. People notice inflation, they hate inflation. I think that there is a zone where consumers hate inflation but it is not high enough to cause them to change their behaviors in any extreme way. Like most things, changes in behavior mostly happen in times of crisis.

That is a zone that most benefits companies. However, inflation can only rise for so long as consumers had enough.

I think mainly because the labor market has been way stronger than anticipated. Like if we were running high unemployment, consumers would simply not have the money.

So yeah, consumers are accepting paying high prices. But they can't keep going higher and higher continuously. At some point, the math starts working against your greed.

But companies never really have to face that decision. The Fed will either induce a recession, or the macro economy will start to buckle.

-In short, I think it has more to do with other macroeconomic conditions than just consumers' thinking. Consumers accept it, because it is not too high, and they got the money. If they were in a different situation they would act different, and in turn, so would companies setting prices.

Look at these push ups…

working out in thick denim jeans in the sun is wild.. just thinking of the gooch sweat the accumulates makes me uncomfortable

in any case, it's sad that the election for the highest office in the US has been reduced to a push-up and "i can out bench you" contest." RFK Jr wants to be the president who brokers peace in the middle east via arm wrestling.

Back
Top Bottom