:::[Official] San Francisco 49ers 2024 Offseason Thread [NFC CHAMPIONS]:::

Should UnicornHunter’s faithful card be revoked for his blasphemous Patrick Willis comments?

• Yes permanently

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Yes temporarily

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
 [h2]Source: 49ers have done extensive homework on DL Vernon Butler[/h2]
Of the 63 defensive linemen at the NFL combine, Vernon Butler was the fourth-heaviest (323 pounds) and his arm length (35 inches) and hand size (10 3/4) tied for fourth among his peers.

Given his industrial-sized dimensions, this should come as no surprise: The 49ers appear to have big-time interest in the former Louisiana Tech standout.

The 49ers have talked extensively with Butler and members of Louisiana Tech’s staff in the run-up to the draft, most recently having a long visit with Butler at his pro day on March 22, a source said.

Head coach Chip Kelly and general manager Trent Baalke share a big-is-better philosophy. At Oregon, Kelly recruited 49ers defensive tackle Arik Armstead and defensive tackle DeForest Buckner, a projected top-five pick in this year’s draft. Armstead (6-7, 292, 33-inch arms) and Buckner (6-7, 291, 34 3/8) were the tallest defensive linemen at the past two combines.

Kelly’s mantra when it comes to arm length: “Long levers are strong levers.”

“It’s like going to the horse track,” Kelly said of his philosophy. “Here’s our odds: If we take guys that are this height, this weight, this arm length, eventually you have a better chance of winning than if you’re always looking for the special player.”

Butler (6-3 5 /8 inches) is projected to be selected late in the first round or early in the second round. The 49ers have the No. 37 pick and count defensive line among their many positions of need.

Butler, who had 29.5 tackles for loss and five sacks in his two seasons as a starter, is know for his versatility and could play any up-front spot in the 49ers’ 3-4 defense. He played nose guard in passing situations in college and possessed the athleticism to line up outside in Tech’s multiple fronts.

The 49ers could be without Ian Williams to open the regular season after the nose tackle underwent ankle surgery this offseason. Defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey, who played nose tackle in 2013, tore his ACL on Nov. 22 and his season-opening status in also in question. The 49ers’ other defensive linemen include Armstead, Quinton Dial, Tony Jerod-Eddie and nose tackle Mike Purcell.

The 49ers are hardly the only team doing plenty of homework on Butler, who reportedly has pre-draft visits with 12 teams. The Titans and Cowboys are among the teams who have recently put him though a private workout, a source said.

Given how public AD is with information, has he ever talked about the dissension and tension that existed in the locker room prior to his retirement?

we're gonna look back on this team in 10 years and remember that nessa really tore this team apart from the inside (of her vajayjay).

we're gonna look back on this team in 10 years and remember that nessa really tore this team apart from the inside (of her vajayjay).
I know you are be facetious, but the fact that a joke is even made about this is ridiculous.  I am far from a Kap homer, but the idea that the state of the 49ers is on him could not possibly be more absurd.

watching the 2013 NFC WC game, and its an absolute shame what has happened to eric reid. this guy was a cornerstone player in his rookie season. the concussions have derailed his career. 
mean.gif

http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge...ric-Reid/c535a37b-bec8-41e1-80f3-dd197f97293b

you cant play football with hesitation and apprehension. 
mean.gif

Last edited:
http://prod.video.49ers.clubs.nfl.com/SF/audios/dct/video_audio/2016/04-April/041216-ward-pod.mp3

jimmie ward interview. dude is a film junkie. love it. he had a big season last year. expect him to continue to develop.
Do you expect him to continue that role as the slot/nickel corner? I think with his exceptional tackling Eric Reid should have been on the trade block.

Ward made some sure tackles last year and displayed great instincts. His skill set belongs at Free Safety.

Anybody else thinking Goff to the Browns is a done deal? Sounds that way from most reports.

Last edited:
who knows, but jimmie definitely is better suited to play a center field type role than a slot corner.

stud.

"Wentz ran a pro-style offense, called his own protections, and made checks at the line"

already more advanced as a QB coming out NORTH DAKOTA STATE than Kap is 5 years in the pros. 
laugh.gif

da golden child.

Last edited:
I'm definitely feeling we get one or the other at this point. Chip with his admiration for pac 12 players leads me to believe he is lusting over Goff. Baalke with his history as an assistant coach at NDSU prolly has him with bias towards Wentz.

Both will be studs but if one does end up in Cleveland he will have a rocky road early on.

Last edited:
i agree. i definitely could see baalke in love with wentz, and chip in love with goff. i could also see trent loving his picks more than any player. 
laugh.gif

i love both guys. i like them both a lot more than the 2 QBs from last year's draft.

Last edited:
i like Wentz a lot more than I did 4 months ago

He's fun to watch. His athleticism in the open field is bordering on special. Just as athletic as Luck.

Last edited:
i hope karl joseph ends up in a pete carroll defense. whether that's oakland, jacksonville or atlanta, he's going to be a star in that style of defense.

Last edited:

CB Mackensie Alexander, Clemson

He is one of several Clemson defenders who could go in the first or second round of the draft. At 5-10, Alexander doesn't have ideal size (especially for the 49ers) at the position, but he's competitive and very good in man coverage. He didn't have an interception over the last two seasons, but that may be due to the fact that quarterbacks were hesitant to throw in his direction. The 49ers also met with Alexander at the scouting combine. Reported first by The Bee.

CB Eli Apple, Ohio State

At 6-1, 199 pounds, he has the size Baalke likes at the position and he played on one of the top defenses in one of the top conferences in the country. He ran his 40-yard dash in 4.4 seconds, suggesting he has the speed to keep pace with fast receivers and the size to play man-to-man with bigger receivers. Plus, a guy with the last name "Apple" would seem to fit in well in Silicon Valley. The Bee.

WR Corey Coleman, Baylor

The speedy wide receiver from Baylor finished the 2015 season with 20 touchdowns, 1,363 receiving yards and won the Biletnikoff Award as the nation’s top receiver. He is competing with Laquon Treadwell and TCU’s Josh Doctson to be the first receiver taken in the draft. The Bee.

QB Connor Cook, Michigan State

The 49ers are taking a long look at Cook, having held a pre-draft workout before his official visit to Santa Clara. Cook has excellent size, is battle-tested in college and has a quick release. He is a possibility -- perhaps a strong possibility -- to the 49ers with their second pick. NFL.com

OT/G Fahn Cooper, Ole Miss

Offensive line coach Pat Flaherty worked out Cooper and his more famous linemate, Laremy Tunsil, at Mississippi’s pro day in March. Cooper has excellent size (6’4, 303) and the long arms (34 3/4-inches) that Baalke covets. He’s played guard and both tackle spots, starting the first seven games at left tackle last year while Tunsil served a suspension. Something to consider: Sometimes teams want to talk to the teammates of players they are most interested in. The 49ers also are spending time with Ole Miss receiver Laquon Treadwell and defensive lineman Robert Nkemdiche, who would have faced Cooper often in practice. The Bee.

OLB Kamalei Correa, BYU

He led Boise State last year with 11 tackles for loss and seven sacks. At 6-3, 243, he’d be smaller than most of the outside pass rushers the 49ers have taken in the past and his 31 5/8-inch arms are shorter than ideal, too. He’s a high-effort player and is similar in some ways to former 49er Dan Skuta. Source: @TonyPauline

RB Kenyan Drake, Alabama

Drake is expected to be a mid-round pick after injuries, including a broken leg and broken arm, made for a disjointed career at Alabama. However, Drake has excellent speed (4.45 40) and good size (6-1, 210) and catches the ball out of the backfield well. He also can serve as a kick returner. ESPN.

OLB/DE Kevin Dodd, Clemson

Baalke worked out both Dodd and teammate Shaq Lawson in South Carolina  on March 24, and both also are due to visit 49ers headquarters. Dodd is longer (6-5 with 34-inch arms) and heavier (277 pounds) than Lawson, and he also doesn’t have as much experience as his teammate. That could be interpreted two ways by Baalke and Co. They may conclude Dodd’s too green or that he has an intriguing upside. Both are very good against the run. The Bee.

LB Myles Jack, UCLA

Jack is recovering from a knee injury -- a meniscus tear -- that ended his 2015 season early. That theoretically could drop him to the 49ers at pick No. 7. Team officials have been extremely attentive during the run-up to the draft; Baalke attended UCLA's pro day last month. NFL.com

OLB/DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson.

NFL.com reported that the 49ers and Panthers are among the teams Lawson will visit in coming weeks. Lawson reportedly did not look as fluid as Dodd when put through linebacker drills at the Clemson pro day. The 49ers will have to figure out whether Lawson, who measured 6-3, 269 pounds, can play the position. He had 12 1/2 sacks and 25 1/2 tackles for loss last season. His arms, though, don't fit the long-limbed mold preferred by Baalke and Chip Kelly mold. They measured 32 3/4 inches. UPDATE: Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller reported that Baalke worked out Lawson  on Thursday, March 24. NFL.com.

WR Kolby Listenbee, TCU

Listenbee ran a 4.39-second 40-yard dash at the combine in February and averaged nearly 20 yards a reception last year. He'd be the big-play threat Kelly had -- early on, at least -- in Philadelphia in DeSean Jackson. Source: @NFLdraftinsider

WR Malcolm Mitchell, Georgia

Mitchell's career at Georgia was hampered by injuries, including an ACL tear in 2013. He's viewed as a smooth route runner with strong, 10 1/2-inch hands that likely appeal to Baalke and Kelly. His injury history likely will push him deeper into the draft than he would have otherwise, and it’s worth noting that Baalke likes taking receivers in round 4. National Football Post.

CB Eric Murray, Minnesota

Murray (5-11, 199) is good in press coverage and his ball skills translated into 24 pass break-ups with the Gophers. He’s considered a mid-round selection. Murray ran the 40-yard dash in 4.49 seconds at the combine and had a very impressive 39.5-inch vertical leap. Source:Darren Wolfson, 5 Eyewitness News Minneapolis.

DL Robert Nkemdiche, Ole Miss

Nkemdiche is explosive and athletic and similar to 2015 first-round pick Leonard Williams, who was picked sixth by the Jets. Evaluators will have to do a little extra digging after he fell 15 feet from an hotel-room window in December, was charged with marijuana possession and suspended from the team’s bowl game. Nkemdiche is 6-3, 294 with 33 7/8-inch arms and 10 3/4-inch hands and projects to a DE in the 49ers 3-4 scheme. The Bee.

NT D.J. Reader, Clemson

The 49ers will be in need of nose tackles if Ian Williams (ankle) is not ready for the start of the season. Reader (6-3, 327) has the size and strength (30 bench-press reps) to compete for time at the position. Reader missed the first six games of the the 2015 after stepping away for personal reasons and had only 13 tackles on the season. For that reason, he may slip in the draft and be viewed as a later-round bargain. He is one of four Clemson defenders the 49ers hosted at their headquarters. The Bee

G/C Isaac Seumalo, Oregon State

Seumalo has excellent versatility having played center, left tackle and right guard for the Beavers. He’s best suited for guard or center at the NFL level, which makes him a good fit for a 49ers team that had issues at both spots before center Daniel Kilgore returned to action late last season. Seumalo’s 4.52-second time in the short shuttle was one of the best at his position at the combine and his quickness would seem to mesh well with a zone-blocking scheme. Seumalo trained in Southern California with Joe Staley in the offseason. The Bee.

ILB Jaylon Smith, Notre Dame.

Per Bleacher Report, the 49ers will host Smith, who would have been competing with UCLA’s Myles Jack to be the first linebacker selected if not for an ACL/LCL tear in Notre Dame’s Jan. 1 bowl game. Mult-ligament tears take longer to heal than ACL injuries, and it’s more difficult to return to full strength after them. It’s unlikely that Smith will play in 2016. The 49ers -- no strangers to drafting injured players -- must weigh the risks and determine when they might take a chance on someone like Smith. Bleacher Report.

WR Laquon Treadwell, Ole Miss*

At 6-2, 221 pounds, he has the big body and long arms (33 3/8 inches) both Baalke and Kelly like. He's generally considered the top receiver in the draft after finishing 2015 with 82 catches, 1,153 yards and 11 touchdowns. *The 49ers may be visiting Treadwell for a workout instead of him heading to Santa Clara; that is still being sorted out. The Bee.

Last edited:
I know you are be facetious, but the fact that a joke is even made about this is ridiculous.  I am far from a Kap homer, but the idea that the state of the 49ers is on him could not possibly be more absurd.

i'd put my wang in her facetities

reid was the one player that didn't come in for a visit, but like buckner, he was actively recruited by the head coach at the time. chip recruited buckner and coach az knows buckner well, so they probably have a good feel for the kid.

with that said, i don't think buckner makes it to us.
frown.gif
 no way ravens pass on him if he gets passed the chargers. 

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom