:::[Official] San Francisco 49ers 2024 Offseason Thread [NFC CHAMPIONS]:::

Should UnicornHunter’s faithful card be revoked for his blasphemous Patrick Willis comments?

• Yes permanently

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Yes temporarily

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I doubt it would affect it because Watkins would be on that new CBA contract and save us a lot of money. Either way if Crabs balls out I think it will be difficult to bring him back because his agent will likely ask for top 10 money and Kap/Aldon are more of a priority. If Watkins becomes the player he should become then it wouldn't hurt as much if we lost Crabtree but if I was Trent i'd be working on negotiations with Crab's agent right now.
laugh.gif
Word, I feel like LMJ isn't utilized enough and could really be an affective player on another squad and I have a feeling just that will eventually happen.

And seeing as we have 11 picks (especially 6 in the first 3 rounds) we've got to be moving up in the draft or acquiring somebody via trade, right?

Oh, and Red have you heard any updates on that Watkins rumor you shared with us?
Naw I spoke with John a couple weekends ago but he was just here for the weekend so I haven't heard much. He's a trucker and when he disapears he's gone for months at a time. He was telling about how he asked for some tickets to the first game and the Niners will give them to him aslong as he is at fan fest signing autographs. You would think the 49ers would hook up their former players, especially players of his caliber, without having to ask for favors in return? 
mean.gif
 Only person i'm aware of he's close to on the current team is the RB coach Tom Rathman and I am pretty sure that's who's shooting him the info about Sammy Watkins.

Last edited:
With all of those picks we should trade one for an early round pick next year. Even if we trade up we should still have more than enough to do it.

1. Trent Baalke is a force to be reckoned with in the NFL. The San Francisco general manager, the former protégé of Bill Parcells, slips in and out of meetings quietly and rarely stops to talk to reporters here, because he just doesn’t want the light to shine on him; Baalke’s a scout at heart. When you see him, he’s often deep in conversation with someone he can learn from, as I’m assuming he was at dinner with John Elway on Monday night at the Italian place inside the JW Marriott here. Talking with his peers, I find a deep respect for Baalke, who is all about building his team for the long term, regardless of the temporary bumps in the road.

When the NFL announced its 32 compensatory draft picks for 2014 late Monday, Baalke was a winner again. For letting high-priced free-agent Dashon Goldson and mid-level guys Delanie Walker and Ted Ginn walk a year ago, the Niners were awarded a third-round pick in the 2014 draft—No. 100 overall in what’s expected to be a rich draft. That gives San Francisco six picks in the top 100, one in the first round (30th overall), two in the second (56th and 61st), and three in the third (77th, 94th and 100th). Baalke runs the draft the way Jimmy Johnson used to in Dallas, wheeling and dealing for extra picks to allow the Niners the freedom on draft day to do what they want in moving up or down or into better position for next season. The extra two comes from the Alex Smith trade with Kansas City. I love the genesis of the 77th pick. It comes from Tennessee. Last year, Baalke traded backup quarterback Alex Smith to Kansas City for what turned out to be second-round picks in 2013 and 2014. The 2013 second-rounder was the 34th overall pick. Baalke traded that down to No. 40 with Tennessee, and got a seventh-rounder last year and a third-rounder this year in return. So for Alex Smith, it turns out Baalke got two second-rounders, a third-rounder and a seventh-rounder in return. That’s why he’s admired among his peers: Baalke consistently takes medium value and makes very good value out of it.

The moral of the story is Baalke doesn’t have to throw too much cap money at receivers like Julian Edelman and Emmanuel Sanders, because he knows he can sit there on draft day and move up or down to get the player he wants at the right value. At 30 this year, he might get a good wideout, Marqise Lee of USC or Brandin Cooks of Oregon State, to fall to him in a deep first round. Imagine Lee stretching a defense, or Cooks trolling the middle as a dangerous slot man for Colin Kaepernick. These Niners are going to be good for a long, long time.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/03/25/trent-baalke-nfl-owners-meetings/

at first i thought it was dumb but we have too many picks and it's time to grab one of the game changers. who do you guys want? the best wide receiver vs the best cornerback in the draft. 

sammy watkins WR
 A legitimate No. 1-caliber receiver who stepped onto the field as a true freshman and made an immediate, game-changing impact. Was slowed by injuries as a sophomore, but responded with a strong junior season and capped his career as one of the most impactful receivers in school history. Has rare speed, soft hands and the big-play ability to challenge NFL defensive backs as a rookie. A top-10 cinch.

justin gilbert CB
 A big, fast, athletic, man-cover corner capable of locking down receivers and creating big plays in the return game. Is the most physically gifted cover man in this year's draft and has the athletic talent to walk into a starting job and match up with big receivers from Day One if he continues to work at his craft after a big payday and prepares like a pro

Last edited:
P cox back 
pimp.gif

CB group looking like 

Brock 

Culliver

Wright

Cox

Cook

Morris

Last edited:
Packers/49ers (Young to T.O.) full game starting at the top of the hour on NFL Network for those interested

^ watching the game now. Wild how that niner defense does that single high safety against farve in his hay day. Merton hanks is in the box most plays.

I was mistaken Merton hanks is playing the Slot more often than not

Last edited:
^ watching the game now. Wild how that niner defense does that single high safety against farve in his hay day. Merton hanks is in the box most plays.

I was mistaken Merton hanks is playing the Slot more often than not

lol this reminds me i was watching the 94 nfcc game on youtube and it reminded me how much 49er scheme and philosphy is in that seattle defense. pete carroll literally utilized san francisco 49er game planning, player personnel, scheming and coaching to build that defense. he even said it himself during media week of the superbowl that they prepared "the san francisco way".

check this out. this is the same defense the seahawks run. it's a 4-3 under with rickey jackson playing the elephant or leo as pete carroll changed it to in seattle. george seifert mixed in a 1 gap 4-3 by adding some 2 gap assignments(this is why that fat boy red bryant was playing DE). bill walsh and george seifert LOVED huge DBs(6'2 220lbs tim macdonald was our version of kam chancellor, merton hanks 6'2, deion 6'1) and big linebackers that could run. check out how the CBs are playing. might look familiar. :wink:  pete took all of this to seattle and not only replicated it, but perfected it. :smh:

Last edited:
49ers looking for third wide receiver who can get open
March 26, 2014, 7:30 am
By Matt Maiocco
Linkhttp://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-looking-third-wide-receiver-who-can-get-open

I :lol: at the headline.

ORLANDO, Fla. – If there were times last season Colin Kaepernick looked like a “one-read quarterback,” there was a good reason for it, according to 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh.

“Some of the time, there was just one guy to go to,” Harbaugh said Wednesday at the NFL owners meetings.

“And there were times when we had Anquan (Boldin) and we had Vernon (Davis) and they were literally doubling Anquan and doubling Vernon. And he had one other option to go to, and sometimes he’d fit it in there – shoehorn it in. There was some tough-sledding at times.”

Michael Crabtree missed the first 11 games of the season while recovering from surgery to repair a torn Achilles tendon. Before Crabtree returned to action, the 49ers did not get any production from a second wide receiver. Boldin led the 49ers with 85 catches for 1,179 yards and seven touchdowns, while Davis caught 52 passes for 850 yards and 13 touchdowns from the tight end position.

The 49ers have looked to free agency to acquire another wide receiver. They still might sign a veteran, but they can also be expected to select a wide receiver in the draft.

“It’s on all of us to make it better,” Harbaugh said. “It’s on the players. Let’s get another really good option besides Anquan, besides Michael, besides Vernon. There were times in the 2013 season where his (Kaepernick) options were just get it to one guy.”

Kyle Williams caught 12 passes in nine games before the 49ers cut him. Mario Manningham had nine receptions and never fully recovered from a knee injury. And rookie Quinton Patton was active for just six games due to a broken foot. He caught three passes, and finished the season as the 49ers’ No. 3 wideout.

The blame, Harbaugh said, did not fall on Kaepernick for his failure to get more pass-catchers involved.

Said Harbaugh, “There were definitely times when we were just not getting guys open for him.”

“I think it’s more somebody stepping up and being that next guy,” he added. “We’ve had a lot of people try, competing for that spot, whether it’s Quinton Patton, somebody step and be that next guy to make plays for our football team.”

Harbaugh said the 49ers need “a third guy who can get open and make plays, another option for the quarterback to go to, a chance to attack all areas of the field. A playmaker. That’s what we’re looking for.”

Matt is the 49ers Insider for CSNBayArea.com. Follow him @MaioccoCSN.

After reading that 49ers def gonna move up in the draft to get the player they want, either that or d-jax is really on the 49ers radar.

whether it’s Quinton Patton, somebody step and be that next guy to make plays for our football team
damn harbaugh put all those fools on blast even QP. in the words of the great yukmouth "step ya **** up mayne"

imagine Q, crabs, vernon and sammy watkins all on the field at the same time. 
sick.gif
pimp.gif
 the thing about moving up to grab sammy watkins opposed to brandin cooks/odell beckham jr is that he can play anywhere. you can put him in the slot, you can put him at flanker and you can put him at split end. he can handle all positions so he wouldn't just be a 3rd receiver. he could literally come in and fill in for crabs/boldin if one needed to sit.

niners want to utilize more triple receiver sets. ironically we were just talking about this on here a day or two ago.
Matt Barrows  ‏@mattbarrows   1h

Three wide? Jim Harbaugh hints at changes to 49ers' offense ...

Harbaugh hints at changes to 49ers' offense

ORLANDO, Fla. - The 49ers are seeking wide receivers this offseason and, Jim Harbaugh hinted, perhaps some tweaks to their power-based offense.

"A real good scheme evaluation, I think, is what's next for us as coaches," the 49ers coach said today at a media breakfast. "Now that we've had Colin (Kaepernick) here for a year and half and understand what we all do well, what we could do better. I think that's something that's a priority right now that we'll attack."

Will they be big changes? "No, not big changes," he said. "But always be an evolution, always strive to make it better."

As is his custom, Harbaugh lavished praise on his starting quarterback and defended him against criticism, including accusations that he's a one-read passer.

"Some of the time there was just one guy to go to," Harbaugh said. "There were times we had Anquan (Boldin) and Vernon (Davis). And they were literally doubling Anquan and Vernon. And he had one other option to go to. ... There was tough sledding. It's up to all of us to get better."

One of the ways to improve, Harbaugh said more than once during the hour-long sessions, is to supply Kaepernick with more weapons. When receiver Michael Crabtree was injured last season, the 49ers' passing game revolved around two players - Boldin and Davis, who caught all but one of Kaepernick's 24 touchdown passes during the regular season and playoffs.

The situation improved when Crabtree returned to the field in December, but Harbaugh indicated that more firepower is needed. He and general manager Trent Baalke like Quinton Patton, a fourth-round pick in 2013 who was injured for half of his rookie season. This year's draft, however, is especially rich in wideouts, and the 49ers are likely to give Patton competition for the No. 3 spot.

The 49ers also have considered wide receivers in free agency, including Julian Edelman, Hakeem Nicks and Emmanuel Sanders. All of them signed elsewhere.

"There was a stretch last year where he didn't have (many receiving options), and he played through it," Harbaugh said of Kaepernick. "And never an excuse, never a bony finger of blame toward anybody. There was definitely times where we were just not getting guys open for him."

One the of the tweaks the 49ers have in store likely will be to the way they call plays. The process to this point has been long and cumbersome, and it's resulted in a slough of delay-of-game penalties and timeouts. The potential game-winning play in the Super Bowl a year ago, for example, was wiped out because the play clock was about to expire.

The Seahawks, who throttled San Francisco's passing game last season, including in the NFC title game, also may force Harbaugh and the 49ers to make changes. One of the few teams that gave Seattle's aggressive defense problems last year was the Colts, who beat them 34-28. In that game, quarterback Andrew Luck threw two touchdowns, both of them to receiver T.Y. Hilton, who finished with five catches for 140 yards.

Boldin and Crabtree are physical, aggressive receivers who mostly are used in the short- to medium-passing game. Asked if the 49ers could use a swift, down-field threat like Hilton in their offense, Harbaugh said "it's something that we'll look at addressing."

Acquiring that type of receiver also could prompt the 49ers to use more three wide-receiver formations. Dating back to his time at the University of San Diego, Harbaugh's offenses have been decidedly brawny and run-oriented, and he has preferred using two tight ends or a running back and a full back instead of three receivers.

In fact, San Francisco has used the formation roughly 20 percent of the time over the last three seasons, the lowest rate in the league. "We've mainly done that on third down," Harbaugh said before pausing and continuing coyly, "but it doesn't mean we can't do it on first and second down."

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archi...t-changes-to-49ers-offense.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:
Sorry guys, been slacking on the ESPNinsider articles but I'll put the recent ones up:

Will this be Gore's last year in SF?
March, 26, 2014
By Joe Kaiser | ESPN.com

San Francisco running back Frank Gore rushed for 1,128 yards last season, marking the seventh time in nine NFL seasons that he'd eclipsed the 1,000-yard mark. But the 49ers' all-time leading rusher will turn 31 in April, and is set to enter the final year of his deal. Will 2014-15 be it for Gore in the city he's called home for the past decade?

Much of that could come down to how well Gore plays and what type of money he commands in free agency. But on Wednesday, 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh offered some encouraging words about Gore, who's currently the NFL's oldest starting running back.

“I really think Frank has three more good years,” Harbaugh said Wednesday at the NFL owners meetings, per Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com. “I truly believe that. But we’re in a game of taking it one year at a time.”

Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James and Marcus Lattimore are other options who could emerge if Gore's production starts to trail off, and could also become long-term alternatives to Gore. The 5-foot-7 Hunter, a fourth-round pick in 2011, rushed for 358 yards on 78 carries in 2013. James has made little impact in his first two NFL seasons, but is someone who SF hopes can help with the passing game, particularly if the team runs more screen plays. Lattimore sat out all of his rookie season to recover from a horrific knee injury suffered in his final year at South Carolina, but it's easy to overlook that the 2013 fourth-rounder has four years remaining on his deal.

Buzz on Kaepernick extension
March, 25, 2014
By Tom Carpenter | ESPN.com

Financially, the San Francisco 49ers would benefit by letting QB Colin Kaepernick ride out his rookie contract through the final year of the deal, which will pay him just $1.073 million in 2014. However, coach Jim Harbaugh thinks extending Kaepernick's contract is important.

“The priority is that Colin Kaepernick is a San Francisco 49er for however long we can have him be a San Francisco 49er,” Harbaugh said at the league’s annual meeting. “So it’s definitely a high priority. He’s an amazing individual, an amazing player.”

The Niners and Kaepernick's agents have discussed a new deal, but it's unclear whether they will talk this week during the owners meetings.

"The two sides first began discussing an extension at the scouting combine last month. It’s not known whether those talks will continue in Orlando, although the 49ers’ top negotiator, team president Paraag Marathe, is in town," noted Matthew Barrows of the Sacramento Bee.

The Niners are pretty tight up against the cap right now, with less than $4 million available, so inking him to a serious extension could prove to be difficult.

More triple receiver set packages would be nice, that would definitely help with Kap's progression and progressions as a QB. 

[h1]Quote:[/h1]
[h1]Why 49ers will trade up and draft Brandin Cooks in First-Round[/h1]
http://ninerfans.com/new/why-49ers-will-trade-up-and-draft-brandin-cooks-in-first-round/

Last year, I made predictions that the San Francisco 49ers would draft FS Jonathan CyprienWR Quinton Patton, and RB Marcus Lattimore. And despite hitting on only two of those three picks, hopefully I can redeem myself in the upcoming 2014 NFL Draft. Just like GM Trent Baalke  who had WR A.J. Jenkins’  name sealed in an envelope hours before the draft began in 2012, I have now done the same as I have the 49ers trading up and drafting explosive WR Brandin Cooks  of Oregon State.

It’s no secret the 49ers are in the market for a young wide-receiver to groom while adding versatility in the return-game. And with the uncertain futures of WR Michael Crabtree  and disgruntled RB LaMichael James, Cooks is the logical choice. The 49ers may have already showed their hand as they were interested in WR Julian Edelman  in free-agency, and Cooks would certainly be a younger version of that type of player. 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh  spoke on the need for a No. 3 receiver as he said:
A No. 3 receiver, a third guy that can get open, make plays, another option for the quarterback to go to. A chance to attack all areas of the field. A playmaker. That’s what we’re looking for.
So why did I have the 49ers selecting Cooks over WR Mike Evans and WR Jordan Matthews? For one, Evans will likely go in the top 10 and with Evans being selected by the Buffalo Bills in my mock draft, as GM Buddy Nix favors SEC talent evident by his last three first-round draft picks, Evans will be too rich for the 49ers blood to strike a deal. As for Matthews, I believe the 49ers are higher on Cooks based on his explosiveness and ability to play the slot, flanker or split-end, making him a more valuable asset in the passing game. Baalke covets versatility and Cooks brings plenty of it.

In addition to Cooks’ versatility, it’s his combination of talent, high-character, and football IQ that will solidify him with a Gold Helmet next to his name. A player that understands the art of fluid route running while possessing the strength to separate from defensive backs, Cooks is the perfect complement to WR Anquan Boldin and Crabtree.

A player that continues to “wow” as he had an exceptional NFL scouting combine as I labeled him a winner, Cooks’ is no doubt a first-round talent and top five wide receiver in this year’s draft. And although no reports have been written about any Niner talent evaluators being present at Brandin Cooks’ pro day as you can “google it,” I can assure you there were. In fact, it was not noted because many of the 49ers high ranking scouting officials are not seen in 49ers gear. But if you look closely you will find them, as Senior Personnel Assistant Ethan Waugh was on hand, just like he was with Jenkins.

With the 49ers holding the No. 30 pick in this year’s draft they will surely need to trade up to secure Cooks’ services. And with Cooks currently being slated to the New York Jets at No. 18 in my mock draft, look for Baalke to strike a deal with either the Dallas Cowboys (No. 16) or Baltimore Ravens (No. 17) as they have been willing trading partners in recent past.

Last edited:
Red80 breaking dudes off with knowledge again. Good look from homie with the insider also still not tryin to pay those crabs 2.50 to be an insider F that.

Back
Top Bottom