Official San Francisco Giants Off-Season Thread: Tim Lincecum inks 2-years worth $23 million

The off-season is finally here and we ended 2009 on a high note.

Pablo Sandoval had his breakout year and we're looking towards his way for more promise next year. He's supposed to hire a chef for the off-season so he can slim down and I'm already excited to see what kind of shape he'll be in next spring.

Tim Lincecum's last outing was very strong as he made his final push for his bid for back-to-back Cy Young awards.

A lot more needs to be discussed and I'm sure we'll cover it throughout the winter.

2gxmkk4.gif

5pkbi8.gif

2nld6h4.jpg

Get some good outfielders Sabean and stay away from those "clubhouse" guys.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

unhappy we missed the playoffs, but happy we got a winning season.
Alot of changes NEED to happen.
penny coming back?
Cain gone?
Bumgarner and Posey stay in MLB?
Do the Giants get a legit power bat(S)?
Sanchez re-signs?

There's so much that needs to change that I don't even want to think about it.

Sabean will %##* it up somehow. Feel free to quote that.

No one offered. If they had, I would have definitely jumped at the chance.

2 $%@!%%@ homeruns and that bum played the ENTIRE season. Pathetic.

Giants need a Power Bat, specifically an outfielder with power

Re-Sign Freddy Sanchez

and the list goes on...

Really happy after this season. I feel like we need a couple more changes to become a playoff team.

Hope Tim wins another Cy Young.

Mamacita's is pretty good. The girls that go there are
eek.gif

Ya'll never been to The Fillmore?

And a "4 am picnic" = Zito +%++#@# some broad on a park bench.

Zito knows his stuff though. I gotta co-sign on the Cole Valley joint.

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

That likeme chick is nice
smokin.gif

Barry smashed
smh.gif
Sarah Eckert looks good.
pimp.gif

These are some photos from her LikeMe page. Too bad I couldn't find larger images.
ohwell.gif

Spoiler [+]
24wsz06.jpg
2ebzx9c.jpg
24vnqj5.jpg

kd3hg7.jpg
28vycup.jpg
afihjl.jpg

2rhbiwz.jpg
2iaylom.jpg
11repdv.jpg

ekjga1.jpg
24yv2tg.jpg
deb2ps.jpg

19w0eh.jpg
15n8y1c.jpg

Call me a pessimist, but I cant believe how many of you are happy after the season. We had the pitching to win the World Series and didnt have the hitting towin the College World Series. Sabean complimented the best pitching staff since the Braves of old with one of if not the worst lineup in all of baseball. Icant help but to think we missed a great opportunity. Even if our lineup IS improved next season, you cannot EXPECT to repeat great pitching.

A few things......
-I dont think we pick up Sanchez' option. I for one, would like to see Juan Uribe resigned and our every day second baseman. He deserves to be in thislineup everyday, and unless we release Renteria (please god!), he wont be. Sanchez is injury prone, his stats are decreasing every year, and he is gettingolder. He is not the kind of player we need. Uribe would be fine as our second baseman. I also wouldnt mind Velez at second, but then that would ONLY beacceptable for me if we have Uribe at short.

-We need to keep Pablo at third and sign a big bat to play first base. I fear that if the plan is to make Pablo the first baseman, the plan will have us resignFreddy AND Uribe. That would give our infield Pablo at first, Sanchez at second, Renteria at short and Uribe at third. Obviously I am more in favor of Pablo atthird, Renteria at short, Uribe at second and a big bat at first. I can just see Sabean choosing the first idea. And it just seems that having Pablo slotted atthird rather than first, we could possibly rebuild this infield to be substantially more productive.

-I think we should resign Penny assuming his asking price isnt outrageous. Randy Johnson should not be back.

-Bengie Molina should be back. He should be our everyday catcher in 2010. He just CAN NOT be brought back as our cleanup hitter. Buster Posey is not nearlyready to be our everyday catcher. Sign Bengie to a 2 year deal for a reasonable price to be our main backstop for 2010, and a platoon catcher with Posey in2011.

-We need to address our outfield. Unfortunately, centerfield is pretty locked for 2010 and beyond. We need to bring in a productive left fielder and aproductive right fielder. I know Velez was a pretty nice spark plug for us. I am ok the Giants rolling the dice and giving him a chance at starting at second,provided Uribe is at short, but not as our left fielder. We need to bring in something better for our corner outfield positions. We need some power. We needcompetent major league talent. I was rooting for Nate Schierholtz, but his second half was absolutely abysmal. Lets bring in some bats. How about a 4 and a 5hitter (or a 3 and a 5 if Pablo is your 4)?

We really arent that far away from being a really good team. I think our starters will be very good again, our bullpen will be good again (especially withRunsler for the season), and with an improved offense, we wont be writing in an offseason thread at this time next year. And not to jack lines from DamonBruce, but if going into next season our front office is talking about having meaningful games in September rather than winning in October, I am going to bepissed. Anything less than competing for a World Series next year will be a complete waste of our great pitching, which in my eyes is all the 2009 season was.

Originally Posted by Tim Lincecum

Pablo Sandoval had his breakout year and we're looking towards his way for more promise next year. He's supposed to higher a chef for the off-season so he can slim down and I'm already excited to see what kind of shape he'll be in next spring.
340x.jpg
121638_athletics_giants_baseball.jpg
NS_06BondsLaugh.JPG

I can't believe Pablo Sandoval finished the season with a higher OPS than Ryan Braun, Miguel Cabrera, and Ryan Howard - all of whom had very good seasons.
eek.gif
An especially astounding feat when you consider (1) how poorly he hitfor the first 3 weeks of the season, (2) he plays half his games in pitcher's park, and (3) how poor the rest of the hitters are around him.

Originally Posted by dland24

-Bengie Molina should be back. He should be our everyday catcher in 2010. He just CAN NOT be brought back as our cleanup hitter. Buster Posey is not nearly ready to be our everyday catcher. Sign Bengie to a 2 year deal for a reasonable price to be our main backstop for 2010, and a platoon catcher with Posey in 2011.
Q: Among players with enough plate appearances to qualify for the 2009 NL Batting Title, who had the worst OBP?
A: Bengie Molina - .285 OBP

Bengie Molina has a career .308 OBP.
sick.gif
That's straight up awful.

He was a big reason why the Giants had lowest team OPS among all 30 MLB teams this year, .699 OPS. When your cleanup hitter has a .727 OPS and is also theslowest runner in the game, you ain't gonna score runs. Lincecum and Cain both pitched well enough to win 20 games this year (each posted an ERA <3.00and logged 215+ IP), yet only won 15 and 14 games respectively.
smh.gif

John Bowker put up an absolutely incredible line in AAA, look at the BB:K ratio.
eek.gif
It took him a year to adjust to AAA, so maybe there's hope he'll adjust to MLB. A lot of players put up big slugging numbers in AAA, butBowker's BB and K numbers this season are rare. He's old for a prospect, but that didn't stop Nelson Cruz this year.

[table][tr][td]Year[/td] [td]Team[/td] [td]Lg[/td] [td]Age[/td] [td]Org.[/td] [td]Level[/td] [td]Pos[/td] [td]Ln[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]AB[/td] [td]R[/td] [td]H[/td] [td]2B[/td] [td]3B[/td] [td]HR[/td] [td]RBI[/td] [td]SB[/td] [td]CS[/td] [td]BB[/td] [td]SO[/td] [td]HBP[/td] [td]IBB[/td] [td]SH[/td] [td] SF[/td] [td]DP [/td] [td]AVG[/td] [td]OBP[/td] [td]SLG[/td] [td]OPS[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2009[/td] [td]FRE[/td] [td]PCL[/td] [td]25[/td] [td]Sf[/td] [td]AAA[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]104[/td] [td]366[/td] [td]82[/td] [td]125[/td] [td]22[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]21[/td] [td]83[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]74[/td] [td]64[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]6 [/td] [td].342[/td] [td].451[/td] [td].596[/td] [td]1047[/td] [/tr][/table]

Originally Posted by Juan Baller

Originally Posted by Tim Lincecum

Pablo Sandoval had his breakout year and we're looking towards his way for more promise next year. He's supposed to higher a chef for the off-season so he can slim down and I'm already excited to see what kind of shape he'll be in next spring.
340x.jpg
121638_athletics_giants_baseball.jpg
NS_06BondsLaugh.JPG

I can't believe Pablo Sandoval finished the season with a higher OPS than Ryan Braun, Miguel Cabrera, and Ryan Howard - all of whom had very good seasons.
eek.gif
An especially astounding feat when you consider (1) how poorly he hit for the first 3 weeks of the season, (2) he plays half his games in pitcher's park, and (3) how poor the rest of the hitters are around him.
Hahaha wow. I gotta take an 'L' for that one.
laugh.gif

Juan Baller you make some good points but Molina was far from the main reason we didnt score. When Pablo wasn't hitting it was Molina. He showed some signsof wear towards the end of the season but overall I think he had a good year. Not to mention the job he does behind the plate. Considering Whiteside is farfrom a threat on offense and Posey just isn't ready for a 162 game season hes the best we have.

Back
Top Bottom