Official San Francisco Giants Off-Season Thread: Tim Lincecum inks 2-years worth $23 million

Rod Barajas would give us close to Molina's production at about half the cost. If I was Molina, I'd want to secure a lengthy deal but that wouldn'tbe a smart move for the Giants.

If we can sign Miguel Tejada for about the same amount of money that Juan Uribe will be asking for, which of those two would ya'll want to play 3rd and subfor Renteria as shortstop?

Tejada is 36 and Uribe is 31.

^You really think Tejada will sign for the same amount of money as Uribe?!? I dont.

That was a hypothetical question.

Tejada did have a pretty good year but is there a market for an aging shortstop, with off the field problems, whose numbers are ballooned because of the parkhe played in?

Uribe won't take a discount because he had one of his better years last year.

We just traded away our #2 pitching prospect for Freddy Sanchez. They are most likely going to pick up his option, and they should at least give him a fullseason and see what he's capable of.

My dream scenario would be to trade for Carl Crawford
laugh.gif

The Giants won't pick up Freddy's option. Instead they'll re-sign him to a two year deal for lesser money.

I believe that they said that anyone can be pursued, but because of the money they've already inked for Rowand, Renteria and Zito, they're going to belimited.

Originally Posted by Bruce Waynee

We just traded away our #2 pitching prospect for Freddy Sanchez. They are most likely going to pick up his option, and they should at least give him a full season and see what he's capable of.

My dream scenario would be to trade for Carl Crawford
laugh.gif

Crawford is better than what we have but hes not really the answer we need a TRUE power bat. Gonzalez, Fielder or Bay.

Originally Posted by Tim Lincecum

The Giants won't pick up Freddy's option. Instead they'll re-sign him to a two year deal for lesser money.
If they can't work out an extension they will pick up his option. He will be starting at 2nd base opening day if healthy. Book it.

Arron Rowand being the great clubhouse guy he is should pull a Don Nelson and play for free.

Originally Posted by FRANCHISE 55

Originally Posted by Tim Lincecum

If they can't work out an extension they will pick up his option. He will be starting at 2nd base opening day if healthy. Book it.
Yeah. Pretty much Sanchez has got to be the starting 2nd basemen next season. If not, Sabean will look bad since it involved trading awayAlderson.

Originally Posted by What up

Mamacita's is pretty good. The girls that go there are
eek.gif

Ya'll never been to The Fillmore?

And a "4 am picnic" = Zito +%++#@# some broad on a park bench.

Zito knows his stuff though. I gotta co-sign on the Cole Valley joint.
Zahzi is bomb, ridiculously good. However, the wait is longer than hell and parking in that area sucks.
I knew he lived with Wilson as a buddy of my friends saw him at a bar in the Marina and was going to ask him to play on his Softball team. Said he was a niceguy.

[h1]Bonds honored with SF hospital playroom dedication[/h1]
3 hours, 22 minutes ago

• Buzz up! 1
  • [h5]Print[/h5]

SAN FRANCISCO (AP)-Barry Bonds(notes) handed out T-shirts, posed for pictures and romped with young patients Friday as the UCSF Medical Center opened a playroom bearing his name.

The home run king said he hoped the Barry Bonds Family Foundation Playroom would provide children a place to relax while staying at the hospital.

Bonds paid about $250,000 for the renovation, according to Roxanne Fernandes, executive director of UCSF Children's Hospital.

Squeals could be heard as kids burst through the door while a smiling Bonds looked on. Other patients, some of them in wheelchairs, slowly made their way inside and curiously checked out the new surroundings, which include a flat-screen television and audio system, an arts and crafts table and other toys.

[table][tr][td] [size=-2]ADVERTISEMENT[/size]

ewtrack.gif

ewtrack_f.gif

[/td] [/tr][/table]
b

Bonds' donation included a fund that will maintain the toys, purchase new ones and pay for the staff needed to oversee patients in the room for the next four years.

"He really has been a hero for us," Fernandes said. "He kept saying, 'I want to do more that will touch all these kids.' We would tell him about various programs we had, and he walked by this room and said, 'I want to make that playroom an amazing place for kids."'

Bonds has donated time and money to the hospital in the past, hosting golf tournaments and visiting patients and their families.

Bonds last played in 2007 with the San Francisco Giants. He did not speak to reporters, but addressed the crowd assembled on a deck outside of the playroom.

"It's more of a blessing for them to have a place to go to feel normal for a moment … to have time with their family, for whatever that time may be," Bonds said. "I'm just one piece of the whole team and I'm proud to be part of that team. I just hope that with everyone's hard work and everyone's prayers that we're able to contribute to the children's lives."

After speaking to the crowd on a sixth-floor deck, Bonds played with several patients. Children filed in for nearly 30 minutes to see the playroom and meet Bonds, who signed autographs.

Bonds is still facing legal issues.

In September, federal prosecutors urged a federal appellate court to reverse a trial judge and let them present critical evidence they say shows Bonds knowingly used steroids.

In a case stemming from Bonds' grand jury testimony in December 2003, he pleaded not guilty to 10 counts of making false statements and one count of obstruction of justice. He is accused of lying when he testified that he never knowingly used performance enhancing drugs.

At issue is whether evidence directly tied to Bonds' personal trainer, Greg Anderson, could be shown to the jury that will hear Bonds' case.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_y...ap-bonds-hospitaldedication&prov=ap&type=lgns

[h2]Sabean/Bochy still without contracts, Lansford doesn't expect to be invited back, note on Kikuchi, etc.[/h2]
Posted by Andrew Baggarly on October 12th, 2009 at 6:13 pm | Categorized as Uncategorized

It's been a week since the season ended, Brian Sabean and Bruce Bochy remain unsigned beyond Oct. 31, and I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking there might be something unexpected brewing. If Bill Neukom wanted to gauge the interest of Tony LaRussa, for example, he'd have to wait until after the Cardinals' season ended, right?

But based on everything I hear, the expectation remains that Sabean and Bochy will sign new contracts shortly - probably within the next couple days.

Here's one clue: Bochy has not sought to contact the Astros or Indians about their managerial openings.

Apparently, Bochy isn't looking to create leverage, nor would he appear to be overly concerned that the situation won't work out in San Francisco. And this is a guy with the intuition to seek an exit strategy when he senses something is amiss. That's what he did after the 2006 season, when he interviewed with the Giants while he still had a year left on his contract with the Padres.

Fact is, Bochy and Sabean are holding strategic meetings right now while preparing to make their summary report to Bill Neukom, along with their recommendations for 2010.

Once their contracts are signed and they can officially move forward, the coaching staff is among the topics that will require immediate attention. They'll have to decide whether to retain hitting coach Carney Lansford and hitting coordinator Bob Mariano, or determine whether a new voice is needed.

(Triple-A hitting coach Hensley "Bam Bam" Meulens would be a top candidate, I'm sure. The Giants also have a former well traveled hitting coach, Rick Down, in their front office.)

From what I've gathered, Lansford doesn't expect to be invited back. He was frustrated last season by the Giants' lack of pitch recognition and hyper-aggressive tendencies. Guys like Fred Lewis and Nate Schierholtz got worse, not better, as the year went along. Even veterans like Aaron Rowand were stubborn in their hitting approach and almost impossible to reach.

Sabean might have made a damning statement in the postseason presser when he expressed extreme disappointment that "collectively, as a group, we just couldn't get marginally better" at the plate.

Over the final weekend, I went around the room to a half-dozen players, and for background information only, asked them to evaluate the job Lansford did. Should he be back? Did he make you a better hitter?

Most of the responses were pragmatic and expected. "Look what he had to work with." … "He worked his +@% off." … "His suggestions were always helpful." … "You couldn't ask him to do much more." … etc.

The one common criticism was of Lansford's body language and general demeanor. Carney is a classic red +@%. He wore his exasperation on his sleeve. He didn't hold back when talking to reporters, offering blunt and honest assessments of his hitters. (Which is refreshing for me and great for you, but not always so appreciated from inside the clubhouse.) When the team acquired Freddy Sanchez, Lansford's comment was, "Good! Somebody on this team won't strike out 75 times."

No, Lansford isn't going to give you a pat on the butt when you're in need of a kick. He probably isn't the right voice for some guys. But in any workplace environment, you'll have certain people that don't mesh well.

It's hard to dump all the criticism on Lansford for the Giants' situational hitting failures when Bochy didn't manage the club like a small-ball team until September.

But as we all know, the bottom line is this: If the offense underachieves, the hitting coach usually takes the fall. So I guess that's the discussion point. Did the Giants offense really underachieve?

-Whenever reporters ask Neukom about a potential acquisition, he launches into what's become a long, well rehearsed speech on all the factors the front office will take into account. Somewhere in there is a non-committal statement resembling "we're not ruling anything out." When you stand in the middle of a concert hall, it's harder to be painted in a corner, I guess.

Anyway, one mouthful of Neukom's pablum is that team chemistry is very important. Would a new acquisition improve the chemistry or compromise it? Would this new player gladly put on a white dress shirt, get on his 10-speed and go door-to-door distributing copies of the "Giants Way?"

I don't think Milton Bradley scores high marks in this area. That's why I don't think the Giants will make a play for him.

But for what it's worth, I asked someone on the Giants' side - someone with veto power - whether he'd approve a straight-up Bradley-for-Rowand deal. And he said yeah, he would.

-Been meaning to mention that I bumped into scouting director John Barr during the final homestand last month. He'd just gotten back from Japan, and yes, he got a good, solid look at 18-year-old pitcher Yusei Kikuchi. If Kikuchi decides to sign with a major league club, I expect the Giants to make a legitimate run at him.

-Took a look at my preseason predictions, which included a list of "predictions I'm not quite ballsy enough to make." In that list, I had Chris Carpenter and Zack Greinke as the Cy Young winners. And I had Jim Tracy as NL manager of the year.

Next year, I'm going ballsy all the way.

-It's been an entertaining postseason thus far, but last night's Rockies-Phillies game was interminable. It ended after 2 a.m. Philly time.

Forget scheduling playoff games so the kids can watch all nine innings. It's time to think of everyone else, too. How many Philly fans do you suppose showed up late for work on Monday?

-I haven't paid attention to the NFL in more than a decade, but saw some highlights Sunday. Just one question: When did referees raid the Ooompa Loompa wardrobe closet?

laugh.gif
change it back. I think a press conference has been set for12
ohwell.gif

Damon Bruce must be on suicide watch
laugh.gif

How much is Sabean making these next 2 years?

Sabean, Bochy receive extensions

By JANIE McCAULEY (AP) - 34 minutes ago

SAN FRANCISCO - Manager Bruce Bochy and general manager Brian Sabean are staying with the San Francisco Giants.

Bochy and Sabean each received two-year contract extensions with a club option after meeting with managing general partner Bill Neukom on Tuesday. Both men expected to return, but Neukom had said he would wait until the end of the season to make a decision.

While the Giants missed the playoffs for the sixth straight season, they were in the NL wild-card chase well into September and at 88-74 won 16 more games than in 2008.

Sabean is the longest-tenured GM in baseball after completing his 13th season with San Francisco.

Bochy's three-year contract worth roughly $6 million expired after the season ended.

Back
Top Bottom