Official Stand Up Comedy Thread

I said this in the Chappelle thread but a lot of people also simply are up there giving a monologue.

Chappelle's last 4 specials to me haven't been stand up COMEDY, they have been social monologues.

He isn't the only one either. But I think that is usually the road more established folks take during their later years. The Rock special felt that way. Seinfeld's last special felt the same way too.

Again, not saying those are BAD but more so a different type of presentation. ( Yes, it has always existed )

Agreed. Heard Chappelle is telling jokes again though. I remember when was it Hannah Gadsby put out a special "Nanette" that was just dialogue which critics loved and other comics talked unfavorably about, then they ended up following the formula.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I haven't laughed FORREAL @ Dave Chappelle in I don't know how long.

Any Jimmy Pardo fans in here? He's one of my favorites. He used to do warm-up for Conan and was on his show quite a bit. I love it when a guy can just do crowd work for an hour. I love a quick wit.

Here's one of my favorite remotes of his from his Conan days. He goes to an autograph show and pretends to be a former castmember on Baywatch that didn't exist.

Any Jimmy Pardo fans in here? He's one of my favorites. He used to do warm-up for Conan and was on his show quite a bit. I love it when a guy can just do crowd work for an hour. I love a quick wit.

Here's one of my favorite remotes of his from his Conan days. He goes to an autograph show and pretends to be a former castmember on Baywatch that didn't exist.

Podcast OG

I'll believe it when I see it.

I haven't laughed FORREAL @ Dave Chappelle in I don't know how long.

I saw him in SF a few months ago and he only told jokes the entire time. I was a little worried it'd be monologue heavy but he was great.

I think he announced a tour recently so might be touring with that material, outside of the region specific jokes.

Not his best stuff but he has a special on Peacock that came out recently. He's got a different hairstyle every show. His background is interesting. And some of the stuff he says at the end of the special is not unlike what a lot of people say about their profession - that it saved their life.

Caught Neal Brennan on Saturday night, second time seeing him. Glad this one was more jokes than his normal one man show vibes
Big fan regardless

I like that. Honestly conflict resolution skills & mediation skills go a long way. Minor stuff can snowball. Not only calling out where you feel someone is wrong but also legitimately pointing out where you yourself could have done things better or done things to de-escalate the situation is a really respectable thing to do. Never heard of these dudes but I hope it all gets worked out. I can even see the original promoter's feeling that hey, I tried to stop you from going on because there was no audience. I get that it's $200 though. Ultimately there should be stipulations in the contract so stuff like this has a pre-planned resolution or at least some sort of road map.

Back
Top Bottom