OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET AND ECONOMY THREAD VOL. A NEW CHAPTER

Oil tends to fall very rapidly when it spikes like this. Obviously theres a lot of geopolitical issues, supply issues and inflation so theres no telling how high this can get. Personally I think it has more upside from here but just something to be aware of, be ready to take some profits. If this ukraine situation gets deescalated I think it comes down a good amount.

If you're team #brokeboys and you have just enough money to buy either one share of AMZN or one share of GOOG/L, who are you going with to 1:20 split heaven?

How long did GOOGL run up after they announced? I’m guessing run up is more once the split actually takes place.

Why does it matter though? Same price just divided by 20.

Fundamentally shouldn’t matter but I guess the lower entry cost means something.

It's just another example of a delusional market that includes too many retail investors who don't know a damn thing about the stock market.

gvhp2223 gvhp2223 u dont think it being more affordable will drive it up?

It will boost the price in a gimmick-ish manner, yes. During certain phases, markets are disconnected from reality. During those phases, gimmicks work. If someone can only afford 1/20th of an Amazon share, they already have platforms where they can buy fractional shares without needing shares to split.

It will - his point is that it shouldn’t even need to split because it’s so inflated

That isn't my point. I'll go back to the golden pizza example.

If I have a golden pizza worth $1 million and I split it into 10,000 pieces, each slice is worth $100.

If you have a golden pizza worth $1 million and split it into 1,000,000 pieces, each slice is worth $1.

In either of these scenarios, the sum of the parts is still $1,000,000.

You could split that $1,000,000 pizza into as many pieces as you want and, everything else equal, the sum of the parts will still be $1,000,000.

Let's say hypothetically there's a one million dollar bill.
You can go to the bank and ask them to break it down into smaller bills for you.
You can ask for all thousands.
You can ask for all hundreds.
You can ask for all fifties.
You can ask for all twenties.
You can ask for all tens.
You can ask for all fives.
You can ask for all ones.

No matter what you ask for, you still have a million dollars.

That's reality. But when there's a disconnect from reality and there's ignorant people in the market who will pay $1.25 for a dollar bill, then you might as well break that million dollar bill into all ones and see how many of those one dollar bills you can sell to suckers for $1.25. It's way easier to find a million fools who will pay $1.25 for a dollar bill than it is to find one fool who will pay $1,250,000 for a million dollar bill. That's pretty much what Amazon is doing.

It's like I was trying to tell dude about the Chipotle thing. The value of a company is based on how much money that company makes. The value of a company has nothing to do with how many shares the company is split into.

The value of Amazon goes up if they increase their profits. They can do this by selling more products, increasing their margins, acquiring other companies, things like that.

The value of Amazon doesn't go up just because they went to the bank with all of their twenty dollar bills and asked the teller to break those twenties into all one dollar bills.

I dig what ur saying gvhp2223 gvhp2223

But this isnt a move for the public, but the public thinks it is, so i understand y u say its gimmicky

This is more for the company and the shareholders that will have whole shares before the split

I also was reading that amazn is doing this to recoup losses from their rivian investments a couple months ago, a bad investment they lost $ in

Back
Top Bottom