OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET AND ECONOMY THREAD VOL. A NEW CHAPTER

There’s no way airlines ticket sales bounce back before a vaccine is available and mass distributed.

アミーゴ アミーゴ do you think business air travel will take a permanent hit with people getting used to remote meetings? Or old habits will come back in a couple of years when it’s all said and done?

It’s the same reason I’m short on commercial real estate - this new way of working is going to hurt the travel industry for the next 3 years (at a minimum). I travel every other week and already agreed with my CEO that isn’t happening through the EOY.

Companies will look forward to helping their bottom lines in any way they can - in-person meetings that are non-essential will help that.

Here is another problem. Suppose you are 50+ years old with pre existing health conditions and you just got laid off. You have a mortgage, wife and kids. The economy reopens and now the 50+ year old is competing for a job with a 22 year old that just graduated college that appears to be in great health. Who gets hired.

And this is why Amazon pushed their start date back to Oct 3rd. It’s the same type of thing when a woman comes back from maternity leave - the people who come back first will have an unfair advantage.

With news of the J.Crew bankruptcy, I'm wondering how long before we hear a similar fate befalling Macy's? Anyone wanna hazard a guess? I know they have already furloughed most of their white collar executives.

They have mentioned they have about 3 months worth of cash left. Sometime mid-summer would be my guess

Last edited:
With news of the J.Crew bankruptcy, I'm wondering how long before we hear a similar fate befalling Macy's? Anyone wanna hazard a guess? I know they have already furloughed most of their white collar executives.

They’ll be able to make things work by selling some of their real estate and downsizing their locations, maybe renting out portions of their stores to Starbucks, nespresso, things like that. They’ll never be the one stop department store giant they once were though.

Here is another problem. Suppose you are 50+ years old with pre existing health conditions and you just got laid off. You have a mortgage, wife and kids. The economy reopens and now the 50+ year old is competing for a job with a 22 year old that just graduated college that appears to be in great health. Who gets hired.
It's tough man. My dad got let go during the tech bubble burst. He had to switch careers to a different industry entirely.

I remember finishing uni and getting my first career related job. I was paying for my parent's mortgage for the first 2 years.

It's tough man. My dad got let go during the tech bubble burst. He had to switch careers to a different industry entirely.

I remember finishing uni and getting my first career related job. I was paying for my parent's mortgage for the first 2 years.

Sorry to hear - was he an engineer?

Honestly, companies that should have been trimming fat years ago are now forced by COVID to face reality

It was painfully obvious whenever you stepped inside a department store like Macy's. The stores were unnecessarily big and should've been smaller and most of the items stored in warehouses or shipped directly from the manufacturer to customers.

Can't be out here running a business like it was the 50s to late 90s and ignoring the fact the internet exists

Sorry to hear - was he an engineer?

Yup.

All good. He became a realtor. Lucked out since real estate boomed because of the influx wealthy mainland chinese folks coming in to Vancouver ever since.

Intially it was tough for him when he got laid off. Worries about supporting the fam, thinking they are too old for their industry etc. What I noticed the most is the blow to the ego and self confidence.

I think for any NTers out there with their dad, male relatives, friends who have had a lot of experience in life (late 40s and above), to just cheer them on, provide ongoing ego boosts and encouragement. Pops lost all his hair during that time 😂😂😂.

They’ll be able to make things work by selling some of their real estate and downsizing their locations, maybe renting out portions of their stores to Starbucks, nespresso, things like that. They’ll never be the one stop department store giant they once were though.
Macy's actually has already done so. The one in downtown Brooklyn sold it's parking garages and upper floors to it's building to some developer that's turning it into luxury apartments.

Macy's actually has already done so. The one in downtown Brooklyn sold it's parking garages and upper floors to it's building to some developer that's turning it into luxury apartments.

lol i didnt even realize theres a macys in downtown. i usually go to kings plaza or my preferred one is staten island

My buddy is a pilot for Delta... he isn't too confident that they aren't still planning on burning through their CARES act funding to still eventually downsize / reorganize the company afterwards. They were in the process of contract negotiations for pilots even before all of this went down, and now they're pushing for early retirement packages and 20% rate reductions.
I have always stayed away from Airlines due to their Labor and low margins. SW and Delta are the best positioned imo for reasons I stated, SW due to their concentrated supply chain and Delta due to their wealthier customer base. American was overleveraged BEFORE Corona.

Not going to lie, will take great pleasure in watching AA fail. Lost my damn bags and didn't even offer a pat on the back!

How JC Penny and Macy's are still in Business is beyond me.

Macy's has been trading below their book value for almost a year, not a good sign for a retailer. I don't know anybody besides my pops who shops at JC penny.

What's the feeling on Disney?

Think it will pop with Disney+ numbers or overall uncertainty will bring them down after earnings?

What's the feeling on Disney?

Think it will pop with Disney+ numbers or overall uncertainty will bring them down after earnings?
40% I believe of their margins is parks. They can’t create content right now. Espn has nothing to air. Marvel is on pause. Has the makings of a flat to lower move on earnings and I’ll be a buyer for sure. I added very small on today’s pullback under 102.

Back
Top Bottom