OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET AND ECONOMY THREAD VOL. A NEW CHAPTER

No end in sight
sick.gif
I just went all cash. omg. when will it end. Been a freefall all of January.

Apparently lots of baby boomers are selling their mutual funds to fund their retirement, as well as fund their millennial kids who have no money.

I'm afraid to look at my portfolio, which is a bad thing in more ways than one :smh:

Edit: just checked and I'm in a messed up situation. I haven't been able to fund my account lately w/ daycare so it's a catch 22 when it comes to taking gains, my portfolio aint enough to eat the $4.95 trade fee and I've already lost too much to sell now. :smh: Feels really bad man

Last edited:
I'm afraid to look at my portfolio, which is a bad thing in more ways than one :smh:

Edit: just checked and I'm in a messed up situation. I haven't been able to fund my account lately w/ daycare so it's a catch 22 when it comes to taking gains, my portfolio aint enough to eat the $4.95 trade fee and I've already lost too much to sell now. :smh: Feels really bad man
As long as you're invested in solid companies/ETFs/etc you'll be fine. Just ride the storm and dont panic.

As long as you're invested in solid companies/ETFs/etc you'll be fine. Just ride the storm and dont panic.

That's what I'm doing. AAPL and DIS have been hurting me the most, other than that, I'm "OK"

It's stupid to care about a $4.95 fee when you have more than that on the line.

I do but I don't, I'm speaking in terms of the size of my portfolio and the cost to sell multiple company stocks then turn around and buy back. I'm already at a loss so it's definitely stupid to dump at this point, I've only lost my gains, just gotta ride it out at this point. If it get worse then I'm definitely selling, though I thought I had stops in from the last time :smh:

still debating if i should buy now or wait and see how low the market can go

Anyone know anything about Abengoa (ABGB). I lost a **** ton of money on it and I don't know if I just hold or cut my big *** losses. Halp.

First time poster here just a lot of lurking. I'm 21 still a student, I do have loans but I am interested in buying some stocks. I probably don't sound like the smartest individual from that previous sentence but Id like to start paying what I can of my loans. Obviously since I'm on NT I do love sneakers and for a while I would resell. So I have a little money from reselling but dividends that keep giving each month sounds better then reselling shoes. I recently saw sprint stock plummet to around $2. This is something manageable for me. What do you think about sprint as far as growth? If they merged with another company would the stock not exist anymore? I'm planning to go to a etrade or td ameritrade one of these days but I have class every day of the week so I keep forgetting...

Ah, Sprint. I wrote an analysis on them a couple years ago when they were at $8 and even made a quick gain before that. Long story short, don't touch them. They're floundering, and I'm honestly not sure they'd be here right now if not for Softbank having bought them. I haven't looked into them for the past year or so, but from what I'm seeing, avoid at all costs. If you want telecom stick to ATT or VZ.

They're not a very interesting buy out opportunity either. Sprint is so overloaded with debt and worthless assets from poor decisions that there's no reason a competitor would buy them.

Last edited:
Cheap stocks are cheap for a reason.

Read The Intelligent Investor. Check out this article from Buffett http://fortune.com/2014/02/24/buffe...ou-can-learn-from-my-real-estate-investments/

You need to learn the difference between cheap dollar wise vs cheap value wise.
Ah, Sprint. I wrote an analysis on them a couple years ago when they were at $8 and even made a quick gain before that. Long story short, don't touch them. They're floundering, and I'm honestly not sure they'd be here right now if not for Softbank having bought them. I haven't looked into them for the past year or so, but from what I'm seeing, avoid at all costs. If you want telecom stick to ATT or VZ.

They're not a very interesting buy out opportunity either. Sprint is so overloaded with debt and worthless assets from poor decisions that there's no reason a competitor would buy them.
Repped both of you. Thank you for the direction.

First time poster here just a lot of lurking. I'm 21 still a student, I do have loans but I am interested in buying some stocks. I probably don't sound like the smartest individual from that previous sentence but Id like to start paying what I can of my loans. Obviously since I'm on NT I do love sneakers and for a while I would resell. So I have a little money from reselling but dividends that keep giving each month sounds better then reselling shoes. I recently saw sprint stock plummet to around $2. This is something manageable for me. What do you think about sprint as far as growth? If they merged with another company would the stock not exist anymore? I'm planning to go to a etrade or td ameritrade one of these days but I have class every day of the week so I keep forgetting...

Don't. invest. in. stocks. Especially now, and especially if you're a beginner and don't know what you're doing. Start with penny stocks or a simulated account w/o real money to at least understand how it works. Also keep in mind that most trading is done by algorithms and robots. A civilian E-Trade account is the equivalent of bringing a knife to a gunfight. You will get slaughtered.

Don't. invest. in. stocks. Especially now, and especially if you're a beginner and don't know what you're doing. Start with penny stocks or a simulated account w/o real money to at least understand how it works. Also keep in mind that most trading is done by algorithms and robots. A civilian E-Trade account is the equivalent of bringing a knife to a gunfight. You will get slaughtered.
Lol wut

Stay away from penny stocks. Plenty of civilians can make money investing. Just takes knowing how to read a chart and balance sheet to do so.

Lol wut

Stay away from penny stocks. Plenty of civilians can make money investing. Just takes knowing how to read a chart and balance sheet to do so.

I meant to literally trade pennies as a way to get your toes wet and get comfortable reading charts. Civilians will be the first casualties of a bear market.

Penny stocks are a different animal, better off just using a simulator or buying 1 share at a time and burning commissions. Plenty of people learn pennies and struggle when transitioning to big boards since they're run different ways.

Busy week next week

> Jan 25

before

DHI - DR Horton Inc
HAL - Halliburton Co
KMB - Kimberly-Clark Corp
MCD - McDonald’s

after

JJSF - J&J Snack Foods
STLD - Steel Dynamics
SWFT - Swift Transportation

> Jan 26