OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

Originally Posted by RunningFishy

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Anyone have any advice on BAC? I got in when it was at 11, and today it finished at exactly 15. Is it time to sell?

that's a long time ago.

if over 1 year, and i think soon it'll hit 1 year, sell for lower tax cap gain

then again 11 is a good price.

i would hold, but i would keep an eye.. if BAC dips below 14.. make a move !

Yeah, it's coming up on a year since it was at 11. I've been iffy on BAC for awhile now and I'm nervous with the bad news coming out about fraud and don't want to sit on it to see it go below14. 

Originally Posted by RunningFishy

Anyone have any advice on BAC? I got in when it was at 11, and today it finished at exactly 15. Is it time to sell?

that's a long time ago.

if over 1 year, and i think soon it'll hit 1 year, sell for lower tax cap gain

then again 11 is a good price.

i would hold, but i would keep an eye.. if BAC dips below 14.. make a move !

Yeah, it's coming up on a year since it was at 11. I've been iffy on BAC for awhile now and I'm nervous with the bad news coming out about fraud and don't want to sit on it to see it go below14. 

Set a good till cancel stop loss below 14.

Are you going to bank a lot? If so, I'd try wait till it's passed 1 year.

When you are up as you are, you can always collect the dividends and guage how the stock is doing. BAC will be held up by aritifical price movements. If the negative fraud were to really do damage, you would have seen a more significant drop by now.

I would hold long but SET a STOP LOSS GTC just incase.

I cannot imagine the dividend income would be much to the average person on NT. If dividends mean something to that person, I'd suggest utilities.

The more I think about it, the less I wanna hold on to BAC anymore, but my portfolio is geared towards the long-term so I'm not sure. I need to get rid of GDX tough. That stock has done virtually nothing for me.

andycrazn wrote:
kicksfiend wrote:
Originally Posted by teddy jam

didn't get into oil today as it recovered to 71 and change

i feel there is some downside still - we'll see how mkts open up next week

i didn't avg down NG @ 5 today either, i was a bit scared to put more in it, as 100% of my acct would be in it ..i'd rather not keep it all in a gold stock that is more of a long-term hold

100% of an entire account in one security? Not a good idea.
yea but what if someone only has like 1k to do stocks? shouldnt they go all in on one stock?

If you are starting out with a small amount of money, putting all of your tradeable money into one particular stock is the way to go.  If you have 1k, and split it up into 3 or 4 different stocks A. you probably wont make any huge gains with any of the stocks (because the investment is so low) or B. if you end up making some dough, you are paying commissions to buy AND sell, therefore eating up your profits

also, RunningFishy=DeyKnowYayo?

-J23C

Originally Posted by jordan23collecta

I don't think so. I don't think DeyKnowYayo liked me very much and RunningFishy seems to cosign with much of what I say. DeyKnowYayo real name is Naufal Sanullah. He's still lurking around I think. I've come across some of his commentary on other sites. Right now, he's a contributor on Zerohedge. Here's one of his articles (which I disagree with).
Originally Posted by davidisgodly

What the hell happened to CTIC. I never experience this big of a loss in 1 day.

Let me get this straight... LONG TERM on a penny stock, holding past WEAK dividend, holding past FALLING volume (which = trouble for penny stocks), and NO stop loss based on the VERY EVIDENT trend it was trading in...

This game is not for you my friend.
smh.gif

Anyone attempting to go into quantitative finance? I'm working on the 3 things necessary for a quant position (strong math, programming, and financial knowledge) and it'd be great to link up with someone else attempting to do the same and see what synergy there is there. Right now I'm learning C++, studying for the first actuarial exam and working on indicators based on my experience trading. I got a ton of resources if anyone's interested as well.

Originally Posted by teddy jam

FDA questioned their drug... let me get this straight , u invest in them and do not know this?
but the data that the FDA is using is only up to july 2009...

people playing games with CTIC

.90 in pre market right now

this is adam ****stain gettin his hedge buddies cheap shares. get the longs that have stop loss orders out, take their shares, then make them pick em back up for a buck. him and cramer should be in jail.

pix will be approved too, its a blockbuster drug

really wish i could get more shares....i would buy all i could right now

sounds like a great time to buy 
pimp.gif
 sorry for your loses
frown.gif
 -39% is a big loss to take

hey im a noob on the elliot wave but if you check out the dow 1 year chart is that the elliot wave?

Originally Posted by kicksfiend

Originally Posted by jordan23collecta

I don't think so. I don't think DeyKnowYayo liked me very much and RunningFishy seems to cosign with much of what I say. DeyKnowYayo real name is Naufal Sanullah. He's still lurking around I think. I've come across some of his commentary on other sites. Right now, he's a contributor on Zerohedge. Here's one of his articles (which I disagree with).

Let me get this straight... LONG TERM on a penny stock, holding past WEAK dividend, holding past FALLING volume (which = trouble for penny stocks), and NO stop loss based on the VERY EVIDENT trend it was trading in...

This game is not for you my friend.
smh.gif

Anyone attempting to go into quantitative finance? I'm working on the 3 things necessary for a quant position (strong math, programming, and financial knowledge) and it'd be great to link up with someone else attempting to do the same and see what synergy there is there. Right now I'm learning C++, studying for the first actuarial exam and working on indicators based on my experience trading. I got a ton of resources if anyone's interested as well.
how does programming help(serious question)? for number crunching?  I would like to know how it could help my trading..because I have plenty of programming background.

Originally Posted by BgL2687

how does programming help(serious question)? for number crunching?  I would like to know how it could help my trading..because I have plenty of programming background.

It doesn't help you for trading exactly. Say you worked at a hedge fund that wanted you to take a specific pricing model and create an application that would check to see whether or not the market price is in line with that mathematical model, you would have to program something to do so. C++ is the most common language but I've heard of Java and others being used. If you're eager to apply some programming to aid your trading, certain charting software allow you to create technical analysis indicators or even complete strategies. I don't believe in having a black box (automated program) do my trading for me but I've been working on a "gray box". Basically something that would give me buy and sell triggers but leaves the ultimate decision of whether or not to trade in my hands.

Originally Posted by andycrazn

hey im a noob on the elliot wave but if you check out the dow 1 year chart is that the elliot wave?

Yeah it does. However, if it was an Elliot Wave based on that alone, we'd be in the Wave 4. Meaning once this downside ends, we're headed for a higher top and then a correction. However, Elliot Waves are based on fractals meaning there are different timelines (grand, super, cycle, primary, intermediate, minor, minute, minuette, subminuette), similar to daily, hourly, minute charts. I've known serious "Ellioticians" to go back to the beginning of an index or stock to figure out their counts. Meaning although the chart looks like it's an elliot wave, unless the bottom of the market begins a new wave to most Ellioticians, the count might not be what you think it is and may just appear to look like a wave. Most people who use Elliot Waves believe we're in a bear market right now anyway, meaning that the waves are upside down, leaving one to assume the rally from March on is simply an A-B-C correction.

I don't believe in Elliot Waves per se (the whole idea of a guaranteed 5 count with a 3 count correction seems to precise IMO). I do believe, however, that there are "waves" in how buying and selling occurs in a stock. Meaning that whenever a stock moves over a period in time, there will be "marks" left by participants showing their actions. Institutions and other participants who always trade a certain company will buy and sell in similar patterns over time, leaving their "mark". When events occur in the market, their reaction can be expected to create a similar "mark" which allows you to trade off of it. It isn't quantifiable but something you can just notice. It probably sounds stupid and I'm not very good at explaining it. It's just a theory I have and I've seen work from others that, to me, reinforce it (e.g. Soros' Theory of Reflexivity).

Since you guys love penny stocks, here's one that should be real volatile in the near future: NBG. It's the National Bank of Greece. Considering all the hoopla over Greece (and it's possibly bankruptcy) nowadays, it should definitely be in play. After what Germany said today, if you don't have a margin account, you're going to miss out.

My current plays:

EXC (cheap, stable, 4.6% dividend)- largest holding
T (just a place to park some cash at 6.7% with little downside risk for a while)
Just picked up some C, stop loss is in at 2.95. Lot of big dogs in recently and if the government, price Al-Waleed, and others paid 3.25 I'm good with taking a flier on it.

C is a gamble. EXC and T are capital preservation and a nice chance to make a safe double digit return in a year. (money I can't afford to lose (will get out if I lose 10ish percent.

What I really want to research and possibly get in on is BYD (chinese battery/car company) Ticker BYDDF, I'm still mad I didn't look into this enough to realize I could have bought shares last year. Buffett and Munger were all about it especially Munger at last years Berkshire meeting. What a great experience that was btw. Bought a B share and held on to it long enough for it to pay for my trip out there. Sold it a while ago though, needed to get liquid at the time.

How can a noob like myself get started?

I want to start investing.  I have extra money to play with.

Tips on how to get started?

books to read, etc?

Any help would be appreciated.

Which site to use to start trading, selling, buying?

Thanks guys

C to me is a joke. I can understand your basis for taking a flyer on it, but to me, I don't see how they'll regain ground plus the amount of shares outstanding today (say versus 5 or 10 years ago) is disgusting. I'm just angry they sold off their lucrative trading arm, Philbro.

Back
Top Bottom