OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

i dont go on stock forums because im afraid its just a bunch of people that suggest the stocks and say they heard it from someone and what not.

this is a quote from william j. oneil.

"Since the market tends to go in the opposite direction of what the majority of people think, I would say 95% of all these people you hear on TV shows aregiving you their personal opinion. And personal opinions are almost always worthless … facts and markets are far more reliable."

Originally Posted by andre3001

Originally Posted by andycrazn

ok andre if you want advice on picking stocks. be prepared to read these.

http://investopedia.com/a...s/09/value-investing.asp

if you have an etrade account. watch the market guys technical analysis 101 or read this:

http://www.investopedia.c...ty/technical/default.asp

there are some other good articles but i think these would do for now. note: if you focus on one factor of a company it will give you an idea how its performing but not the whole picture. so you have to combine technical analysis with fundamental analysis. doing so would decrease risk and give you a clearer picture on where the stock is heading for the short or long term. there are some other ones but these will do for now.

Excellent stuff man. Same with the chart below and the detailed breakdown. I'm gonna get at some of those articles this weekend and look at some plays.

Where do you guys find some of your picks? I mean some of these companies (actually most of the ones I see on here) I have never even heard of. Are you looking at stock forums and finding some of these?
This is my main thing here. I'm willing to do the analysis learning and all that but sometimes I'm thinking where the hell are yallfinding these companies? I work in IT so there are certain smaller companies I know about here and there and of course all of the popular companies, butI'm trying to figure out how to stay on the up and up on the companies that aren't just super popular. But I guess this knowledge comes with time?

Hey Lilchico, I noticed you've been playing a lot of penny's lately. Your broker lets you buy all of them?? Even PINK's? I use Zecco and missed outon some great plays because it wouldn't let me buy.

yea........sharebuilder wont let me buy some of them either. i only trade penny stocks. pisses me off

NikeFlightposite wrote:

Hey Lilchico, I noticed you've been playing a lot of penny's lately. Your broker lets you buy all of them?? Even PINK's? I use Zecco and missed out on some great plays because it wouldn't let me buy.

Well I haven't had problems purchasing any penny stocks so far and I hope it stays that way.

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

Originally Posted by LiLcHiCo4LiFe

Yea you can buy/sell premarket and after hours
How and where do you see the volume during premarket and after hours?

Level 2 quotes...It's on a completely different level than what you're used to seeing.

Yea you can buy/sell premarket and after hours
How and where do you see the volume during premarket and after hours?

Level 2 quotes...It's on a completely different level than what you're used to seeing.
oh yeah I read about that. You either need to pay to use the software or it comes with a day trading account.

nice this will give me something to read on during work. i'm not too deep into stocks yet just have a couple bluechip shares thanks to my parents

Anybody going Short on Healthcare Insurance providers?

Just something I thought up today while in the office. If Obama plans to nationalize healthcare (I'm not sure to what extent), I'm speculating therecould be some adverse effects. I'm sure even minor government intervation should cause a downward swing.

Thoughts?

you may be right but i dont know much about the healthcare industry to short it. wayyyy to risky for me imo.

hey can you guys tell me some gold mining stocks? i forgot some of them.........

you may be right but i dont know much about the healthcare industry to short it. wayyyy to risky for me imo.

hey can you guys tell me some gold mining stocks? i forgot some of them.........
NEM is the only mining stock i own...getting killed in it ATM...also GLD
http://www.google.com/fin...client=ob&q=NYSE:NEM

I wish i didnt sell CTIC last week...
mad.gif

what is an etf? whats good with FAZ/? seems like a huge company that totally fell off! you think theyll hit lower than 4.20?

I wouldnt mess with FAS/FAZ, there has been a lot of decay on those ETFs and FAZ will probably never see it's high again.

if you need to ask questions about an etf, dont do it. its far too risky.

i just got scottrade and wow! scottrade is better than etrade and zecco.

How is an ETF risky? It depends on which ETF you are referring too. This category of investment vehicles is fairly broad. FAZ is a lot more risky then say DIA.

There are different types of ETFs. So to answer Hoopervilaa's question:

ETF = exchange traded fund which utilizes encapsulation.

Laymans Definition: Basically, you take a bunch of stocks, throw them in a box and you trade the box as you would one stock.
You get the diversification of a mutual fund with the liquidity of a single stock.What Andycrazn was eluding too were leveraged ETFs.

*The following is a grosely oversimplified explanation of Leveraged ETFs:

There are various forms of leverage, but they all follow the same principal. You do something to amplify your grains. However, your losses are alsoamplified.
FAS and FAZ are the most popular leveraged ETFs recently, especiallly on NT. Kramer hates these
laugh.gif

Both FAS and FAZ employ 3x leverage meaning whatever change occurs in the stocks that FAS/FAZ are following, that change's value is multiplied by a factorof 3. FAS is a bull ETF which follows the financial sector and FAZ is the bear version. So if finance goes up that day, FAS gains. If fiancials drop that day,FAZ gains.

FAZ is done though. Hoopervilaa, I'm assuming you're new to investing so I'd stick to non-levered ETFs and hold them for the long-term. Most ofthem will double in value eventually. Stay away from daytrading and levaraged ETF till you've gotten some exposure in the stock market and are good withtechnical analysis.

how is it better? better interface?

how is it better? better interface?
its cheaper than etrade. ive been messing around with the graphs and you can do more things on it than on etrade. i prefer the fundamentals onetrade though. but i also use google finance cause its easier to read income statements, cash flows, and balance sheets. having only touched those subjectsslightly in accounting ftl.

i just bought an ounce of gold. going to get another one today or tomorrow

on second thought scottrades financials is easy to read as well.

damn i think we missed the opportunity to get in. but i still think its pretty good. needa research it more first.

Back
Top Bottom