***Official Tattoo Thread: Inked-4-Life Vol.2***

$2000 is about right for that quality and size. My homie got a piece from Jun Cha thats the same placement but smaller (owl) and I think it ran him closer to $2500. Jun is a bit more expensive though cause of his fame.

You aint getting something anywhere similar like that for $1000.

Last edited:

Working on horror theme back piece. One or two more sitting to bring it all together and touch up. Really regret not putting in Gage from pet cemetery . May try to squeeze him in. Doubt it though.

Next time we take a nap, I can't be the big spoon anymore. Too scary.

about to get my first tattoo. Was wondering if $2000 w/o tip for a piece like this was reasonable or not. I was planning on getting this exact piece on my forearm.
anyone know? cuz i'm looking for an artist that can do this quality work in the DMV

Last edited:
sleeved brehs, i know every artists price is different, but can anyone give me a rough estimation of how much something this size would cost?

dont want to bother any of my locals before i finish rough sketching my design. 

sleeved brehs, i know every artists price is different, but can anyone give me a rough estimation of how much something this size would cost?

dont want to bother any of my locals before i finish rough sketching my design. 

I say it gets done in no less than 5 sessions. Although I've had 10 hour long sessions for my back, most tattoo artists (well mine at least for an arm) don't like to tattoo more than 3-4 hours a session, and that's not including their prep time and stencil placement, breaks if they need one. Etc.

So 4 hours of work multiplied by their hourly rate + tip = price per session.

Anyone know of any NJ artists?

Looking for mostly traditional work (sailor jerry / americana ).

Doesn't have to be top top tier cause they are basic damn near biker tattoos :lol:

Recent picture of my first tattoo from last December. Artist is Tomas Tomas who is based in London. Of course i love his work and it was real fun to sit for him. Super cool guy.

After much deliberation i felt compelled to go with geometric dotwork. I have another session in November and think i'll go full sleeve eventually. Would like to go down onto the hand and fingers too. I like the idea of having some creepy sigils on my fingers.

Also gives me a few years to think about what's happening with my other arm.

When you guys go to get tattoos.... how prepared are you?  Do you just have an idea of what you want, and let the artist sketch something out?  Do you bring in your own references?

Is it not cool to bring in something you want tattooed 1:1 that you created yourself?  Like would a true artist be offended if you just wanted him to stencil something on that you created yourself?

If you do let the artist sketch something out, it is a **** move to be like "no I don't like that" or "need to change this" ?

When you guys go to get tattoos.... how prepared are you?  Do you just have an idea of what you want, and let the artist sketch something out?  Do you bring in your own references?

Is it not cool to bring in something you want tattooed 1:1 that you created yourself?  Like would a true artist be offended if you just wanted him to stencil something on that you created yourself?

If you do let the artist sketch something out, it is a **** move to be like "no I don't like that" or "need to change this" ?

You can definitely bring in your own work and ask the artist to tattoo that. It's not a big deal at all. And artists wouldn't care if you point out little things here and there that you don't like. It's going on your body forever after all. Although most artists will most likely charge you a deposit to do a mockup as it also takes time. I woukd just walk away if the artist gets upset and annoyed if I ask him to do changes.

You can definitely bring in your own work and ask the artist to tattoo that. It's not a big deal at all. And artists wouldn't care if you point out little things here and there that you don't like. It's going on your body forever after all. Although most artists will most likely charge you a deposit to do a mockup as it also takes time. I woukd just walk away if the artist gets upset and annoyed if I ask him to do changes.
Yea I sketched out my own design for my first (and only) tattoo, that I got as a tribute to a friend that passed away.  

I have a design in mind that I like, but haven't been into a shop since I got that first one over 10 years ago.  I used to draw a lot so I consider myself a decent artist (well I was in the past), but I'm very particular.  Plus I've watched every season of Ink Masters, so I'm pretty much an expert now 
laugh.gif

Anyone in here have ankle tattoos?  Is it considered weird to get a tattoo at the ankle, that isn't a full leg sleeve?  I know its my body and I can do whatever I want, but the people I have brought it up to before are like "You serious, Clark?" 

Yea I sketched out my own design for my first (and only) tattoo, that I got as a tribute to a friend that passed away.  

I have a design in mind that I like, but haven't been into a shop since I got that first one over 10 years ago.  I used to draw a lot so I consider myself a decent artist (well I was in the past), but I'm very particular.  Plus I've watched every season of Ink Masters, so I'm pretty much an expert now 
laugh.gif

Anyone in here have ankle tattoos?  Is it considered weird to get a tattoo at the ankle, that isn't a full leg sleeve?  I know its my body and I can do whatever I want, but the people I have brought it up to before are like "You serious, Clark?" 
Most of my right foot/ankle/leg are covered and honestly the calves were the worst part. lol

Getting just an ankle done may look odd/different, but who gives a crap. As long as you're comfortable living with it. 

I used to be more hypercritical but honestly nowadays I choose my artists very specifically. And because of that, Im paying to be able to trust them. I cant remember the last time I saw a full sketch. Most of my recent pieces have been a. walk in, talk about an idea b. perhaps find some references, talk about a general color palette. c. they draw it on d. wait patiently for x hours. 

I would say bring in your sketch, and ask that they stick to it, but don't be bummed if certain things have to be changed. Their job is to make it look good. Sometimes drawings dont translate well onto skin, and other times they have ideas that will make YOUR drawing better. 

Thats my 2 cents. 

If it's a well established artist with a certain way of working it's kind of an insult to not allow them any creative license imo.

I don't know what your background is but i'm an aspiring artist and i would never assume that my interpretation of an idea was the best way to do it. Especially if it's a conceptual idea.

Find an excellent artist and trust that they know better.

As far as changes go you totally have the right to ask for those. But again, if your requests make no sense in the context of the piece then you might meet some resistance.

That's a clean simple piece so you shouldn't have any issues.

Cause of the simplicity the artist shouldn't have a problem copying like for like.

about to get my first tattoo. Was wondering if $2000 w/o tip for a piece like this was reasonable or not. I was planning on getting this exact piece on my forearm.

It's never cool to ask another tattoo artist to do an exact replica of someone else's piece.

That's a clean simple piece so you shouldn't have any issues.

Cause of the simplicity the artist shouldn't have a problem copying like for like.
I wouldn't get it 100% the same... that's just the general idea.   A mountain range going around my leg above the ankle but underneath the calf. 

I also want some trees in there, similar to this: 

But those trees are pretty weak.  I like these trees better, but I don't want this thing to be giant (from ankle up to calf)... so I'm not sure how well these would fit into it: 

^ Hopefully you have high insertion calves so you can get it looking on point :lol: :pimp:

It's never cool to ask another tattoo artist to do an exact replica of someone else's piece.

That is true but that Jun piece is a tattoo of a statue. I've probably seen a dozen of that exact piece so they can't really get tight about that.

And they would need to use a pic of the actual statue to make the stencil anyhow so then it's all about how good they are at putting the ink down.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom