***Official Tattoo Thread: Inked-4-Life Vol.2***

Bang Bang does great work... buuuuutttttttt, ive (just me) havent seen a lot of dark skinned work

Rising Dragon in NYC had a artist from japan/cali that was dope with dark skins named Hiroshi.. my boy still has his looking crispy...

and Alex from 3 Kings in brooklyn is the go to guy for many people...

i'm going to assume you mean Horisei. Thanks for putting me on.

Alex art style is naturally high contrast.

Wish they had examples. Good looks.

I wouldnt label her darkskinned by any means but this 3D effect is what I tried to get on my back that made me need to laser it off.

Also THIS is the effect I want on my Athena tat I am getting in Aug. Need to show this to my artist asap
What effect? Shading looks average as average can get.

I think the effect he's talking about might be the use of negative space?
I guess but that coincides with shading. Thats not exactly an example id use of negative space.

It does look good though, never said it was terrible. Shading is average but on dark skin, artists cant really do the tricks and techniques they may be capable of. Depending on your skin tone, you may just have to end up with a simpler tattoo.

^You just said it was average then you admit dark skin needs to be that way :rofl:

I've accepted that I won't be getting no detailed intricate tattoo on me. And I think it looks great.

Getting tattoos is the only time I ever wish I was lighter. My brother thinking about getting some when he moves to Cali. Lucky him southeast asians are darker than him. He has a much wider range of artist and styles that he can use.

I think the effect he's talking about might be the use of negative space?

Yup

Last edited:
^You just said it was average then you admit dark skin needs to be that way
roll.gif

I've accepted that I won't be getting no detailed intricate tattoo on me. And I think it looks great.

Getting tattoos is the only time I ever wish I was lighter. My brother thinking about getting some when he moves to Cali. Lucky him southeast asians are darker than him. He has a much wider range of artist and styles that he can use.
Yup
Yes...the shading is average, whats that have to do with the latter part? The shading is average which is a general statement, regardless of skin tone. Dark skin is going to have less detail in it cause theres no point in putting insane amount of detail cause its going to get "lost" anyway. Doesnt mean you can get a terrible tattoo, you may just have to be wary of what you get.

I'm talking about the use of negative space, not the tattoo itself. Tho I don't see these manly features.

Yes...the shading is average, whats that have to do with the latter part? The shading is average which is a general statement, regardless of skin tone. Dark skin is going to have less detail in it cause theres no point in putting insane amount of detail cause its going to get "lost" anyway. Doesnt mean you can get a terrible tattoo, you may just have to be wary of what you get.

Okay, so show me a HEALED, darkskin tattoo that you think is fantastic? Darkskin, not fairskin either. Cuz that was fairskin I only used it as an example of what would work on darkskin.

Last edited:
So many critics in here...

Honestly that tattoo isn't even bad at all. Some people just want a decent quality tattoo(design, shading, and line work up to par) rather than getting a "magazine" tattoo. In the end what really matters most is the owner likes the work that is put on their body.

For the most part it seems like if you don't have a Japanese or traditional tattoo, the tattoo is automatically ugly. Even those sought-after big name artist that everyone worships push out unappealing tattoos but get props off their name alone. It may not be your style but just learn to appreciate the art itself. There's the obvious difference between low quality vs. higher quality, and that tattoo up there is far from horrible work. No need to nitpick flaws unless it's your own personal work :lol:

Last edited:
On top of the fact that some of us appreciate stylized tattoos. I noticed in this thread, if it aint asian or photorealistic "it sucks". Asian art is the only stylized tattoo acceptable on NT. Every other art style is trash :lol:

EDIT: Except traditional, which looks to me like the style that is easiest to make.

Last edited:
I said I didn't know much about tattoos - but I still stand that I wouldn't want that on my body ..

that chin and the way it looks like it has hair - Im good on that ...

plus it has shadows in the wrong places .... IE side of the nostril ..

like I said I don't know **** but that's my personal opinion on it ...

^That's not a shadow. It's shading to add depth since you cant use color on that skintone. But I respect that opinion. My comments weren't at you anyway.

EDIT: Your complaints about the shading on the chin are valid tho

Last edited:
Not everyone liked that washed out look on color tats for fairskinned. Some people dontnlike color at all. But "cant't" wasnt the correct word to use.

They look the same healed not sure what your talking about

How? A common complaint for first time tattoo purchasers is that they look better fresh. Regardless of skin tone or wether or not color was used.

Also everyone in that picture is MUCH lighter than the guy I posted.

I like that watercolor look that healed tats on yellowskinned people have. (Judging the color only, not the tattooo itself)

But the color palette on fair skin don't do it for me.

Darkskin can only pull off red imo, but I have been told that discolors fast anyway. I'm not tryna get touched up every other year

Last edited:
So many critics in here...

Honestly that tattoo isn't even bad at all. Some people just want a decent quality tattoo(design, shading, and line work up to par) rather than getting a "magazine" tattoo. In the end what really matters most is the owner likes the work that is put on their body.

For the most part it seems like if you don't have a Japanese or traditional tattoo, the tattoo is automatically ugly. Even those sought-after big name artist that everyone worships push out unappealing tattoos but get props off their name alone. It may not be your style but just learn to appreciate the art itself. There's the obvious difference between low quality vs. higher quality, and that tattoo up there is far from horrible work. No need to nitpick flaws unless it's your own personal work
laugh.gif
I hope youre not referring to me cause that last tattoo I said was fairly decent. Ive been exposed to tattoos more than the average person, if something doesnt wow me, its an average tattoo. A lot of my tattoos are average IMO. My traditional is average, my black and gray is average. Only above average tattoo I think I have is my Japanese sleeve. Nothing is wrong with average. And my "average" is different than someone else's "average".
On top of the fact that some of us appreciate stylized tattoos. I noticed in this thread, if it aint asian or photorealistic "it sucks". Asian art is the only stylized tattoo acceptable on NT. Every other art style is trash
laugh.gif

EDIT: Except traditional, which looks to me like the style that is easiest to make.
No on is saying that. Traditional is far from being the "easiest" to make. Fairly simple designs, but if youre linework or design is off for a bit, it throws off everything. Traditional IMO is probably one of the hardest.
Lol @ cant use color on that skintone. My mans Namir work best in DMV
color can go on any skintone
Edit:

Not as bad if you click the pic, they look terrible if you dont. 
laugh.gif

Some are better than others, Batman is cool, that Bob Marley/Lion is a terrible design though. But yeah, average.

Last edited:
I see what you mean now.

I wasn't feeling those tats at all. But I didn't want to say it cuz I didnt want to seem confrontational.

Picasso: Wasn't trying to single you out, just noticed that opinion throughout the thread. In the end tattoos are just another form of art in which there are different approaches and styles. Be open minded some times... inspect and appreciate the artwork itself, or if it doesn't catch your eye just keep it moving and admire the next piece. No need to critique/nitpick the smallest details

Picasso: Wasn't trying to single you out, just noticed that opinion throughout the thread. In the end tattoos are just another form of art in which there are different approaches and styles. Be open minded some times... inspect and appreciate the artwork itself, or if it doesn't catch your eye just keep it moving and admire the next piece. No need to critique/nitpick the smallest details
People are asking for suggestions and such though. I am open minded, regardless of style, every style can be done in a good or bad way. Dont give tattoos that lame "art" excuse. These are pieces on peoples bodies forever. If a tattoo is done poorly, regardless if its traditional, Japanese, new school, black and gray, etc then its done poorly. 

People are asking for suggestions and such though. I am open minded, regardless of style, every style can be done in a good or bad way. Dont give tattoos that lame "art" excuse. These are pieces on peoples bodies forever. If a tattoo is done poorly, regardless if its traditional, Japanese, new school, black and gray, etc then its done poorly. 

Poorly is the key word. There's a difference between poorly done and average, and I get the average person can't tell the difference. But every tattoo is average to you and you say your own are average, but you always insist on making comments.

Your tattoos look good but I could nitpick about them, but what good would that do? It's already on you. Seems like you just say stuff to say stuff because you want to be an almighty elitist

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom