Official USA Mens Basketball Thread *~ U.S. defeated Tuniasia 92-57 Thursday (Next up: Angola) ~*

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

PMatic:
Not that I am vouching for Cousins to be on Team USA but Team USA has selected players with bad attitudes before. Melo had his run ins with Larry Brown and George Karl, LeBron was close to being cut from the team altogether by the Team USA coaches and Kidd has a rep as a coach killer.
ohwell.gif
LeBron? His first round came after the entire US roster quit (except for Duncan and Iverson). His second time? By the time '08 came around, he was well established in talent, making him a lock.\
'Bron was almost gone from the Beijing squad. There was a good article about it on Yahoo earlier this summer; the coaches were sick of how he was acting and wanted him gone. Apparently it took a call from Nike telling LeBron to smarten up to keep him on the team.

Edit

Here it is:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-heatfreeagency071610

Back when the Heat’s three new superstars had signed short contract extensions and started to explore the idea of free agency thrusting them together, a different discussion had played out within the NBA and USA Basketball: What should we do with LeBron?

From Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski to managing director Jerry Colangelo to NBA elders, the issue of James’ immaturity and downright disrespectfulness had become a consuming topic on the march to the Olympics. The course of history could’ve changed dramatically, because there was a real risk that James wouldn’t be brought to Beijing based on fears his monumental talents weren’t worth the daily grind of dealing with him.

When the mandate had been to gather these immense egos and get the NBA’s greatest players to fit into a program, no one had a more difficult time meshing into the framework than James. Other players made it a point to learn the names of staffers and modestly go about their business without barking orders and brash demands.

No one could stand James as a 19-year-old in the 2004 Athens Olympics, nor the 2006 World Championships. Officials feared James could become the instigator of everything they wanted to rid themselves for the ’08 Olympics. For as gifted as James was, Krzyzewski and Colangelo subscribed to a belief that with Kobe Bryant joining the national team in 2007, they could win a gold medal in ’08 with or without LeBron James. Behind the scenes, officials had taken to calling James’ inner circle, “The Enablers.

shabooyah1124:
He has a bad rep, but people gotta remember that he's just a kid. Was there an incident at UK? I can't think of anything. He has to mature, but I think that'll come sooner than later. Plus the talent that he has can't be ignored.
First off, I dosagree that people have to consider that he's just a kid. If we're trying to send a combination of A) the best players B) with the best attitudes, then no one has to remember anything. Send the roster that meets those criterion and call it a team.

Second, yes, there were incidents at UK. Major issues? Choking coaches out like Latrell? No. But was he a coaches dream, full of talent and a willing ness to do whatever a coach asked when it came time to do work in the gym or in a game? Absolutely not. Hell, he had a couple incidents on national tv where he was throwing a little temper tantrum after walking away from Calipari.
nicedudewithnicedreams:
Wait, so are his actual coaches having problems with DMC or outsiders that are observing him? He wasn't wildin' out during Summer League.
Wildin out? No. But in both of the Kings' summer games I saw, his bad attitude showed. In a major way? No.

And maybe he goes this entire season without any issue whatsoever, but that won't change the fact that, as of right NOW, he's already earned a small reputation for butting heads with coaches.

shabooyah1124:
He has a bad rep, but people gotta remember that he's just a kid. Was there an incident at UK? I can't think of anything. He has to mature, but I think that'll come sooner than later. Plus the talent that he has can't be ignored.
First off, I dosagree that people have to consider that he's just a kid. If we're trying to send a combination of A) the best players B) with the best attitudes, then no one has to remember anything. Send the roster that meets those criterion and call it a team.

Second, yes, there were incidents at UK. Major issues? Choking coaches out like Latrell? No. But was he a coaches dream, full of talent and a willing ness to do whatever a coach asked when it came time to do work in the gym or in a game? Absolutely not. Hell, he had a couple incidents on national tv where he was throwing a little temper tantrum after walking away from Calipari.
nicedudewithnicedreams:
Wait, so are his actual coaches having problems with DMC or outsiders that are observing him? He wasn't wildin' out during Summer League.
Wildin out? No. But in both of the Kings' summer games I saw, his bad attitude showed. In a major way? No.

And maybe he goes this entire season without any issue whatsoever, but that won't change the fact that, as of right NOW, he's already earned a small reputation for butting heads with coaches.

The Defense is going to have to get better against Lithuania. Lithuania were shooting the ball like assassins in the Argentina game and if the guys don't step up they will lose.

The Defense is going to have to get better against Lithuania. Lithuania were shooting the ball like assassins in the Argentina game and if the guys don't step up they will lose.

Originally Posted by Blazers21NTNP

PMatic:
Not that I am vouching for Cousins to be on Team USA but Team USA has selected players with bad attitudes before. Melo had his run ins with Larry Brown and George Karl, LeBron was close to being cut from the team altogether by the Team USA coaches and Kidd has a rep as a coach killer.
ohwell.gif
LeBron? His first round came after the entire US roster quit (except for Duncan and Iverson). His second time? By the time '08 came around, he was well established in talent, making him a lock.\
'Bron was almost gone from the Beijing squad. There was a good article about it on Yahoo earlier this summer; the coaches were sick of how he was acting and wanted him gone. Apparently it took a call from Nike telling LeBron to smarten up to keep him on the team.

Edit

Here it is:

Back when the Heat’s three new superstars had signed short contract extensions and started to explore the idea of free agency thrusting them together, a different discussion had played out within the NBA and USA Basketball: What should we do with LeBron?

From Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski to managing director Jerry Colangelo to NBA elders, the issue of James’ immaturity and downright disrespectfulness had become a consuming topic on the march to the Olympics. The course of history could’ve changed dramatically, because there was a real risk that James wouldn’t be brought to Beijing based on fears his monumental talents weren’t worth the daily grind of dealing with him.

When the mandate had been to gather these immense egos and get the NBA’s greatest players to fit into a program, no one had a more difficult time meshing into the framework than James. Other players made it a point to learn the names of staffers and modestly go about their business without barking orders and brash demands.

No one could stand James as a 19-year-old in the 2004 Athens Olympics, nor the 2006 World Championships. Officials feared James could become the instigator of everything they wanted to rid themselves for the ’08 Olympics. For as gifted as James was, Krzyzewski and Colangelo subscribed to a belief that with Kobe Bryant joining the national team in 2007, they could win a gold medal in ’08 with or without LeBron James. Behind the scenes, officials had taken to calling James’ inner circle, “The Enablers.

Originally Posted by Blazers21NTNP

PMatic:
ohwell.gif

Edit

Here it is:

They are going to take the best players that are willing to play.  The formula is nothing more than that.

Second, yes, there were incidents at UK. Major issues? Choking coaches out like Latrell? No. But was he a coaches dream, full of talent and a willing ness to do whatever a coach asked when it came time to do work in the gym or in a game?
It is an old debate strategy to pose two extremes as questions and then answer them yourself as a way of boxing in a tenable point you are trying to make.  The incidents at UK were not even incidents.  They were a kid pouting on the bench.  Did it ever affect his effort on the court?  Then it is not a problem.  Did it alienate him from the fans, coach, rest of the team?  Then it is not a problem.

There is a tremendous difference between someone who is trouble and one who is frustrated easily, especially when it comes to competition.

They are going to take the best players that are willing to play.  The formula is nothing more than that.

Second, yes, there were incidents at UK. Major issues? Choking coaches out like Latrell? No. But was he a coaches dream, full of talent and a willing ness to do whatever a coach asked when it came time to do work in the gym or in a game?
It is an old debate strategy to pose two extremes as questions and then answer them yourself as a way of boxing in a tenable point you are trying to make.  The incidents at UK were not even incidents.  They were a kid pouting on the bench.  Did it ever affect his effort on the court?  Then it is not a problem.  Did it alienate him from the fans, coach, rest of the team?  Then it is not a problem.

There is a tremendous difference between someone who is trouble and one who is frustrated easily, especially when it comes to competition.

I doubt DMC will be on Team USA anytime soon myself, but why would his perceived reputation and not his actual NBA basketball game be the reason why he is invited or declined to try out? He hasn't played one single game under Paul Westphal yet. I watched all the summer league Kings game coached by Mario Elie and I would take that temper and emotion by him any day over someone that doesn't care. As long as DMC respects and listens to the Kings coaching staff and his other teammates, it's all good. I'll take "bad" attitude who tries and cares then someone with no emotion and doesn't care about winning.

I doubt DMC will be on Team USA anytime soon myself, but why would his perceived reputation and not his actual NBA basketball game be the reason why he is invited or declined to try out? He hasn't played one single game under Paul Westphal yet. I watched all the summer league Kings game coached by Mario Elie and I would take that temper and emotion by him any day over someone that doesn't care. As long as DMC respects and listens to the Kings coaching staff and his other teammates, it's all good. I'll take "bad" attitude who tries and cares then someone with no emotion and doesn't care about winning.

^ Oh, I would, too... but you and I don't call any shots regarding USA basketball rosters. lol

And soychulo, I know you quoted me, so I read your reply thinking that you were responding to me, but then the end of your reply let me know that you weren't addressing me at all. I agree witht he statement that there is a difference between someone who is trouble and someone who is frustrated easily, but I never said he was trouble, so none of that could have been intended for me.

^ Oh, I would, too... but you and I don't call any shots regarding USA basketball rosters. lol

And soychulo, I know you quoted me, so I read your reply thinking that you were responding to me, but then the end of your reply let me know that you weren't addressing me at all. I agree witht he statement that there is a difference between someone who is trouble and someone who is frustrated easily, but I never said he was trouble, so none of that could have been intended for me.

Originally Posted by Tito516

Think USA is perfectly a great team.
I wouldn't say all that, but as long as Durant keep doing his thing and we use our athleticism to our advantage we will be in good shape. That's until the competition steps up in the Semi finals and Championship games. We then might have to make adjustments.

Originally Posted by Tito516

Think USA is perfectly a great team.
I wouldn't say all that, but as long as Durant keep doing his thing and we use our athleticism to our advantage we will be in good shape. That's until the competition steps up in the Semi finals and Championship games. We then might have to make adjustments.

This time still will have fits in a slow down, half court game, which is exactly what the semis and finals will present. The third quarter is going to be the defining quarter because that's where USA teams start to wear opponents down.

This time still will have fits in a slow down, half court game, which is exactly what the semis and finals will present. The third quarter is going to be the defining quarter because that's where USA teams start to wear opponents down.

Back
Top Bottom