**Official USMNT Soccer Thread**

ICE CITY CF ICE CITY CF I see what you're saying now, didn't realize UEFA also had Nations League, thought it was just Euros every couple of years. Like I said, I haven't been peeping footy at all since 2019 so I was wondering what happened to all those matches against folks outside of CONCACAF. It actually makes sense for UEFA because they have a ton of competitive nations but here in CONCACAF I just feel like it sets up obvious mismatches that really don't do much to help USMNT.

Yea and you're definitely spot on about losing out on friendlies against high tier competition its just that it was outside of our control.

Context matters. The majority of nations on earth are "failed WC nations" and likely will be forever by your metric.

I swear some part of the American psyche has us thinking we deserve something in this sport when we don't.

Gotta get it out the mud and I've been saying for 10 years on here, its going to take a generation to get where we want to go.

Last time we were in the quarter finals was in the '02 WC. I hope that's enough context. I do believe we have the talent to get past that quarters but I. DO. NOT. BELIEVE. IN.GGG into leading us

DsLee DsLee nailed it with our delusional American psyche. You'd think we're an elite football nation like Argentina, France or Brazil by how arrogant we are. The Footy media here is a ****ing joke here too, this is one of the bigger problems IMO. There is too many names to list, but I find it crazy how they refuse to call out the BS going on within the federation, SUM & MLS and then pretend everything is all good.

Last time we were in the quarter finals was in the '02 WC. I hope that's enough context. I do believe we have the talent to get past that quarters but I. DO. NOT. BELIEVE. IN.GGG into leading us

DsLee DsLee nailed it with our delusional American psyche. You'd think we're an elite football nation like Argentina, France or Brazil by how arrogant we are. The Footy media here is a ****ing joke here too, this is one of the bigger problems IMO. There is too many names to list, but I find it crazy how they refuse to call out the BS going on within the federation, SUM & MLS and then pretend everything is all good.

But the truth is we haven't really had the talent to get to the quarter finals in past competitions. 2002 was an anomaly.

What about other context? What percentage of the field makes it out of the group stage? What percentage makes it past the quarterfinals?

You'd think we're an elite football nation like Argentina, France or Brazil by how arrogant we are.

I don't see this at all. Literally nobody talks us about us like we're France or Brazil. We have the most disdainful, pessimistic fans to a fault. Ironically, I think that disdain does come directly from arrogance.

People have disdain for the national team because they think we deserve to be good, just because we're "America," when the truth is where a nation that's in its infancy in the sport, with virtually zero cultural skin in the game, but we think we deserve more than what we've earned just because.

Last edited:
You said the team is trash and gets exposed against non-CONCACAF competition. That was a lie.

Then you blatantly move the goal post when I say the player pool is improving every year. Come on man. :lol:
How is what I said a lie? When they play outside CONCACAF, they get destroyed as the world cup record posted here shows

I don't count meaningless friendlies against B teams

The talent is there. We could easily win a world cup if we started with a clean slate and new crop of players.

Scouting needs to improve. Most of the people on the team have no business being professional players but politics and connections is why we are where we are

^^^
I don't think we can win the World Cup at this point. We have a lot of raw talent but aren't near as technical as other nations. Footy isn't the US' primary sport, or even top 3 for that matter, so we have a lot of room to grow before even being successful at WC knockout stage, which would be a huge accomplishment tbh...

How is what I said a lie? When they play outside CONCACAF, they get destroyed as the world cup record posted here shows

I don't count meaningless friendlies against B teams

Even when you backtrack and you apply your qualifiers, the world cup record doesn't show that we get destroyed, it shows that we're mediocre. :lol:

I don't understand why everything has to be some sensationalist extreme.

4 wins since 1994 WC is embarrassing with the amount of money dumped into the program

This just seems wildly disingenuous to me. The amount of money dumped into the program in the 90's? The early 2000's?

We didn't even have a professional league in '94. :lol:

Even today we still don't earn or spend anywhere near the amount of money as federations like England, Germany, France, etc.

The talent is there. We could easily win a world cup if we started with a clean slate and new crop of players.

Scouting needs to improve. Most of the people on the team have no business being professional players but politics and connections is why we are where we are

I'm not even going to touch this conspiracy level stuff man. :rofl:

But the truth is we haven't really had the talent to get to the quarter finals in past competitions. 2002 was an anomaly.

What about other context? What percentage of the field makes it out of the group stage? What percentage makes it past the quarterfinals?

I don't see this at all. Literally nobody talks us about us like we're France or Brazil. We have the most disdainful, pessimistic fans to a fault. Ironically, I think that disdain does come directly from arrogance.

People have disdain for the national team because they think we deserve to be good, just because we're "America," when the truth is where a nation that's in its infancy in the sport, with virtually zero cultural skin in the game, but we think we deserve more than what we've earned just because.

The talking heads on TV and maybe some delusional supporters are the only ones that over hype us :lol: . But na fam, we are not new to soccer. We are not in the infancy of this sport, that's where I disagree with you. We have football history going back to the early 1900's and had leagues before MLS existed. The same talking heads do not acknowledge it because it's not MLS does not sit right with me.

The talking heads on TV and maybe some delusional supporters are the only ones that over hype us :lol: . But na fam, we are not new to soccer. We are not in the infancy of this sport, that's where I disagree with you. We have football history going back to the early 1900's and had leagues before MLS existed. The same talking heads do not acknowledge it because it's not MLS does not sit right with me.

You're right I shouldn't erase the sports history like that, but we also have to keep it a buck about the meaning and context.

In the context of the professionalization of the sport, we are in our infancy. We've only had a continuous professional league since 1996.

Going back further than that looking at our past failed professional leagues, they were professional in name only. Some were even commercially succesful for a short time, but they mostly featured imported stars from other countries with rosters filled out with what was overwhelmingly semi-professional domestic talent. These were not leagues that contributed to the development of our country's national team in any way.

The sport has only just made inroads into American mainstream culture in the last 20 years. We have very little cultural skin in the game relative to European and South American countries.

In '90's I had to fight more than once because most kids in my neighborhood thought our football was "for ******s."

20 years later I see little kids wearing football kits in the same neighborhood on a daily basis. 20 years later some of those kids are grown and getting into the game.

We're making progress culturally but disdain (not to be confused with criticism) for the national team goes against that process.

Oh that's the energy now? Yea ok. :lol:

It's all jokes but there's a reason why I said what I said.
Happy the boys won but I personally stand by most of what I’ve said recently. The squad is lucky to have Weah, who balled tf out and wasn’t completely recognized because guys outside of Pulisic couldn’t convert from his magic a huge majority of the night. Overall, the performance on Friday was impressive but we still have so much further to go.

If the goal is to get into World Cup next year, we’ll accomplish that and it’ll likely happen. If the plan is to go deep (knockout stage and beyond) then I still don’t see the men doing that. One thing I admit is the energy of this young squad is incredible, and they’ve shown some balls. Easy squad to root for.

SMFH, fortunately the boys avoided the loss but man was Jamaica on their ***. No Weston but still, this was an away match they should have won. CAN/MEX will be important tonight, we have to root for a draw, but man was today disappointing...

Only thing I was pleasantly surprised by is this Paramount+ panel after the match. Honest takes, not too harsh, and the right balance of personalities.

I've said a while back that Canada's gonna be a threat eventually and here we are.

We're lucky we left JA with a point

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom