**Official USMNT Soccer Thread**

Smh looking like buns against this crappy Zulean team. The are making Rondon look like OG Ronaldo. When can we start the #Firegreg chant??

They passed on Tata and now he about to turn Mexico into a powerhouse. We deserve to burn for this. I can't get excited about this bull**** anymore

^^ I am at the tipping point to be honest with you. It’s the coaching, the players overall the whole ****ing federation. Just a **** show. Might start boycotting international soccer. I might start watching bowling or Rodeo.

The coach doesn't deserve his current position. He's a company pick. His brother is an exec for the federation. The Federation itself is holding us back.

^^ I am at the tipping point to be honest with you. It’s the coaching, the players overall the whole ****ing federation. Just a **** show. Might start boycotting international soccer. I might start watching bowling or Rodeo.
Get into golf with me bro

Although this is a B team of sorts, this is what USSF gets for the soccer culture they’ve fostered. In the US, we need more media members that continue to call out the decision-making and corruption within USSF. They have an agenda that isn’t primarily focused on fostering the best soccer environment possible in this country, and that’s a problem.

I’m ok with wanting to have and grow a domestic league, but these things should flow out of us being able to develop players from U10 up and placing themselves in the best positions possible, even if it means passing them along to international stewards who have been academies and leagues in place.

I will never root against USMNT, USWNT, or USYNT and will always wish the best outcomes in regards to development of our players and results in tourneys. However I have to admit that the recent shortcomings have provided me a bit of peace in knowing those in charge are being humbled. I was torn when the US20 lost yesterday but satisfied to see the disappointment on Gulati and Cordero’s faces.

#berhalterout.jpeg

Terrible. Another **** show against the 177th ranked nation. Egg with another stupid formation. DF is this guy doing, I don’t know. Dude is buns when it comes to tactics. Holden is trash also. Dude sucks announcing.

It baffles me how Zardes makes the team?? Dude has legs of stone. At this point I would take Brian Ching back instead of this guy. How he scores all those goals in MLS baffles me.

Interesting piece about the "toxic culture" at USSF HQ in Chicago, hopefully things change soon and quickly:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/25/sports/us-soccer-berhalter.html

Far From World Cup, Hints of Rebellion Inside U.S. Soccer
Current and former employees have been excoriating the federation’s top executives online in an effort to alert leaders to what they called a ‘toxic’ culture.

U.S. Soccer, battered publicly after missing the 2018 World Cup, is now facing criticism from within.CreditMarcio Jose Sanchez/Associated Press
merlin_148880355_623eead8-4e7b-4216-8721-231a8568c7c3-articleLarge.jpg

By Andrew Das

PARIS — The reviews read like pleas for help from inside a failing corporation. “A terrible and toxic place to work.” “A culture of fear and intimidation.” “Morale is at an all time low.”

But this is not an ordinary company. The scathing critiques were posted, anonymously but publicly, by more than a dozen current and former employees of U.S. Soccer, the governing body for the sport in the United States, on a networking website. More than a dozen have been created over the past two months, as U.S. Soccer has moved into the final stages of its search for a new chief executive. Seven have appeared since the start of the Women’s World Cup on June 7.

In telephone interviews with The New York Times, several current employees at various levels of seniority confirmed that the feelings expressed on the site, Glassdoor, accurately reflected concerns inside the federation’s Chicago headquarters.

What the reviews suggest, as the United States women’s national team chases another world championship in France and the men’s side pursues a regional one, is a behind-the-scenes revolt against the federation’s most powerful executives, notably its longtime chief executive, Dan Flynn, who plans to retire this summer, and his top deputy and potential successor, Jay Berhalter.

They began appearing in May, suggesting a concerted effort to use the site’s company review option — which is public — to alert top federation officials, and the organization’s board, to concerns before they vote on a new chief executive.

In the reviews, and in interviews with The Times, past and present U.S. Soccer staff members described grievances common to almostany company: too much work, too little pay, bosses who don’t listen. But in their open disdain for Flynn and Berhalter, the employees also paint the portrait of an organization — one still emerging from a broad restructuring sparked by the humiliation of missing the 2018 World Cup — that is dominated by a small group of long-serving executives, and infected by dissatisfaction and mistrust.

“Dream job, nightmare organization,” read one post added a week ago. “Intervention needed” was the title of another. “Terrible leadership” said a third.

One current employee called the postings, which are an open secret inside the federation’s headquarters, “cathartic.”

“It’s like a desperate cry for help,” the employee said in a telephone interview. The employees contacted by The Times agreed to speak only on condition of anonymity, out of fear of retribution from the federation’s leadership team.

Several employees said the reviews were motivated by the looming change in leadership. Flynn’s desire to retire from the chief executive post he has held since 2000 has been public knowledge for months, and recent news media reports suggest the search for his successor is nearing an end. Berhalter, the federation’s chief operating officer and the brother of the men’s national team coach Gregg Berhalter, has emerged as a leading candidate to replace Flynn, perhaps as soon as next month.

U.S. Soccer’s president, Carlos Cordeiro, said he and other senior officials, as well as federation board members, were aware of the online postings, but he declined to comment publicly on anonymous complaints.

He noted the federation was undergoing some of the biggest changes in its recent history, adding staff members and increasing the diversity and responsibilities of the organization’s leadership. And a U.S. Soccer spokesman, in a statement, acknowledged that “at the moment we are at an inflection point where we are rapidly growing as an organization, which is both rewarding and challenging.”

“As we grow,” the statement continued, “listening to our employees and taking action where and when needed will be more important than ever.”

At U.S. Soccer’s Chicago headquarters, where most of the federation’s nearly 200 full-time staff members are shoehorned into a 150-year-old stone mansion, employees said they or colleagues had left recently — or were actively searching for new jobs — for a variety of reasons: better opportunities, better hours, better pay. But several cited the workplace culture as part of their decision-making.

merlin_156749331_afa47345-996a-4109-ab68-b54327ad4f2b-articleLarge.jpg

U.S. Soccer’s president, Carlos Cordeiro, with FIFA’s secretary general, Fatma Samoura, at the World Cup. Cordeiro, elected last year, is leading a restructuring of the U.S. federation.CreditAlessandra Tarantino/Associated Press
“You are losing a lot of great people,” reads one review. “How can you not see that?”

“Prepare yourselves for a mass exodus after the Women’s World Cup,” reads another.

Several of the reviews directly blame Flynn, U.S. Soccer’s chief executive since 2000, and Berhalter, the federation’s top commercial officer, for a workplace climate in which employees’ arrivals and departures are monitored, 50- to 70-hour work weeks are expected and those with dissenting or unpopular opinions are reprimanded or marginalized.

Others lamented that advancement inside the federation is limited by a core group of top executives who have controlled the most senior positions for a decade or more.

But it is the public — and personal — rebukes that paint the most troubling picture of a troubled workplace:

• “We are okay with nepotism here,” one review said, mentioning both Berhalters by name.

• “Executives are more interested in what benefits them rather than ‘making soccer the preeminent sport in America.’”

• “Morale is at an all time low in all the years that I have worked here. Have you noticed? Do you care? Will you continue to do nothing?”
The search for Flynn’s successor has been conducted largely out of public view, by a committee of board members led by Cordeiro. More than a dozen internal and external candidates have been considered, but with little information leaking to the public, the perception has grown that the process is being managed to arrive at an arranged result that puts Jay Berhalter in charge.

That is precisely why some inside U.S. Soccer say they have tried to raise an alarm.

“We all know that if the next CEO comes from within,” one wrote, “the toxic culture will never change.”

The gap in bonuses is sad, but the difference in men’s and women’s World Cup revenues is astronomic. What I don’t get that is completely unacceptable is how the USWNT’s travel, boarding, and training environment/complex access is of less quality than the MNT’s. USSF are snakes and deserve all the heat heading their way.

Back
Top Bottom