Official Western Conference Finals Gm1: 05/19 Denver Nuggets @ Los Angeles Lakers 6PM PST ESPN

[h5][/h5][h2][/h2][h5][size=-1][size=+2][size=-1]http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/lakers/stories/PE_Sports_Local_S_lakers_notes_19.3ed40b5.html[/size][/size][/size][/h5][size=+2]
[/size]
[h2][size=+2]
[/size]
[/h2][h2][size=+2]Coby dishing on Kobe &Co.[/size][/h2][size=-1]
[/size][h5][size=-1]
[/size][/h5][h5][size=-1]08:55 PM PDT on Monday, May 18, 2009[/size][/h5][size=-1]By JEFF EISENBERG
The Press-Enterprise
[/size]
If the Lakers discover the Denver coaching staff shouting out their sets before they run them tonight, they can blame anotherwise innocuous roster move made the morning of their season opener.

That was the day the Lakers trimmed their roster to 14 by cutting guard Coby Karl. The son of Denver coach George Karl has sincefed his father every bit of inside intelligence he garnered during his 15-month stint with the Lakers, in hopes of giving the Nuggets a leg-up in the WesternConference finals.

Among the highlights of the younger Karl's report: tips on containing Kobe Bryant and Lamar Odom, a recap of how the Lakerscoaches advised the team to defend Carmelo Anthony and J.R. Smith, and an amusing look inside Phil Jackson's film room before last year's first-roundseries against Denver.

"He told me they had a tape of us that had cartoons spliced in when we would run and get a dunk," George Karl said."They would have a cartoon Mickey Mouse going 'Ouch' or getting hit over the head with a hammer just to emphasize 'we can't let them dothis.' "

A favorite with fans despite minimal playing time, Coby Karl appeared in 17 games for the Lakers last season, averaging 1.8points. He struggled from the perimeter this preseason, failing to beat out rookie Sun Yue for the 14th roster spot.

Jackson downplayed the significance of Karl's info since he hasn't been with the Lakers all season.

"He's a heady ballplayer so he can give his father a lot of things, but the reality is George and I have probablycoached against each other 70 times in our careers," Jackson said. "There's a lot of things we can go back to, look at and know about. He'sfully aware of what we do."

George Karl agreed that he's just getting "four or five points of coaching mentality" from his son.

"We're not going to change how we prepare," he said. "We're just going to gather information, and thestuff that kind of turns us on we'll put on a list."

Originally Posted by franchise3

No Eastern Conference team or Western Conference team that has eliminated the Rockets in rounds prior to the NBA Finals has ever gone on to win the championship.

The Lakers will be cursed if they go on and eliminate the Rockets, losing in either the West Finals or the NBA Finals.

1969 --- Atlanta, eliminated by LA
1975 --- Boston, eliminated by the Bullets
1977 --- Philadelphia, eliminated by Portland
1979 --- Atlanta, eliminated by the Bullets
1980 --- Boston, eliminated by Philadelphia
1982 --- Seattle, eliminated by San Antonio
1985 --- Utah, eliminated by Denver
1987 --- Seattle, eliminated by LA
1988 --- Dallas, eliminated by LA
1989 --- Seattle, eliminated by LA
1990 --- LA, eliminated by Phoenix
1991 --- LA, eliminated by Chicago
1993 --- Seattle, eliminated by Phoenix
1996 --- Seattle, eliminated by Chicago
1997 --- Utah, eliminated by Chicago
1998 --- Utah, eliminated by Chicago
1999 --- LA, eliminated by San Antonio
2004 --- LA, eliminated by Detroit
2005 --- Dallas, eliminated by Phoenix
2007 --- Utah, eliminated by San Antonio
2008 --- Utah, eliminated by LA

What will 2009 hold?
laugh.gif

The best thing I read all day. Go Nuggets!

The son of Denver coach George Karl has since fed his father every bit of inside intelligence he garnered during his 15-month stint with the Lakers, in hopes of giving the Nuggets a leg-up in the Western Conference finals.
laugh.gif

pimp.gif

I'm suprised nobody mentioned that the NUGGETS will probly be RUSTY after being off so long..

I think that contributed to L.A. losing that 1st game to HOUSTON, which changed the whole series..

DENVER with a week off and starting on the road means theyre in trouble....

If L.A. wins the first 2 games its a wrap, i cant fathom DENVER winning 4 out of 5..

I'm not posting in the Cavs thread, except for the laughin smilie, but I'm going to be in every game thread of the Lakers. I will however refrain fromcalling the Lakers soft, heartless, suckas, and disrespectful to basketball, ooops. I'll just post about them getting stomped by the Nuggets.

its doubtful but if anyone in the area has 1 extra ticket in the 300 section nosebleeds they wanna part ways with for $45 pm me by all means.

I think the Lakers take this series due to Pau, Bynum and LO.

pimp.gif

Kenyon and Cuban are bickerin' back and forth like schoolgirls, lets gooo lakeshow
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Al3xis

I think the Nuggets take this series due to Nene, Kenyon and Birdman

The thought of these 3 names carrying a team to a series win would give me the shutters if I were a Nuggets fan.

Not saying it's not possible, just that I never ever ever thought those 3 guys put together would do anything of that value. Maybe I'm the only one.

Denver's gotta know that if they come out and get this game, it will send the basketball world right back into crisis mode attacking the Lakers and heartand coaching, and Kobe and legacies and all that crap. So Denver gotta be hungry for this one. If they come out and let us punch them in the mouth.........Isee that as a REAL good sign for us.

Should be a good series, should be a sorta sloppy game tonight with not too much preparation and all that, feelin each other out, gettin used to the styles andhow to attack and all that. Lookin forward to it though.

Let's get it.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Kenyon Martin vs. John Cena, street fight for the arena.

kenyons twitch wouldnt last a minute cena

Originally Posted by travman24

What's with the new guy and the "$"s?? Lol
newbs trying to start a trademark on NT like how i did it...i should bring back my cap L's
laugh.gif

whoever thinks that cocky fool jr smith is gonna defend kobe decently is crazy...its gonna take denver being active and alert on team defense as well as theirability to get offensive rebounds for them to beat the Lakers...i think this where fish is gonna be legit in this series...billups is not a fast track pointlike d.will and brooks were this is where fish can body him up...billups is a big guard who likes to play in a half court set and thats where fish i think isat his best on the defensive side not by running around in circles like brooks did...if gasoft and bynum and our frontcourt play big... get rebounds andactually use their size on the inside Lakers will cruise...our second unit has to be legit...i see odom having his way in this series...with that said Lakersin 6 or 7 because denver plays with heart and you cant teach that but honestly if the Lakers learned from last series it should be 5 games but thats not gonnahappen we know that
tired.gif

Back
Top Bottom