Official White Privilege Thread

10xp-airline-articleLarge.jpg

Acclaimed ‘Slave Play’ Headed To Broadway; Jake Gyllenhaal Company Among Producers

slaveplay0912-photo-by-joan-marcus.jpg

'Slave Play'
Joan Marcus

https://deadline.com/2019/07/slave-...o-harris-jake-gyllenhaal-producer-1202644895/

Jeremy O. HarrisSlave Play landed on various critics’ best-of lists after its Off Broadway production last December, and now the incendiary and brutally funny comedy-drama about race, sexual fetishes and the undying legacy of American slavery, is headed to Broadway.

With Jake Gyllenhaal’s Nine Stories production company as one of the producers, Slave Play,directed by Robert O’Hara, will begin previews of a 17-week engagement on Tuesday, Sept. 10 at the Golden Theatre, with an opening night set for Sunday, Oct. 6.

Casting was not announced.

The Broadway production was announced by producers Greg Nobile and Jana Shea of Seaview Productions; Troy Carter; Level Forward; and Nine Stories, founded by Gyllenhaal and Riva Marker to develop and produce new works for theater, film and television. Nine Stories is a producer of Broadway’s upcoming Sea Wall/A Life starring Gyllenhaal and Tom Sturridge; performances begin July 26 at the Hudson Theatre. As with Slave Play, Sea Wall/A Life had a successful Off Broadway run last year. (Read Deadline’s interview with Sturridge about the play here).

Slave Play is set on what initially appears to be an old Deep South slave plantation, opening with scenes of sexually charged encounters involving race, gender and power. As the scenarios play out, the audience becomes increasingly aware that, as the production company says, “nothing is as it seems.” The scenarios are, in fact, therapeutic workshops for modern-day interracial couples.

image002-2.jpg

Jeremy O. Harris
Quil Lemons

In a statement today, the playwright said, “During my very short time being a professional writer, the world I thought I’d inhabit was one at odds with a commercial theatrical landscape; so to see that this play, Slave Play, that interrogates the traumas Americans have inherited from the legacy of chattel slavery and colonization has a place in the canon of work that has made its way to Broadway is both exhilarating and humbling. It also articulates that the leaps the community made in the past Broadway season might not have been a fad but the beginning of a new moment for the theater to once again attempt to represent discursive American theatrical expression not situated solely within the imaginaries of cis white men, but the imaginaries of all Americans.”

O’Hara, the director, said, “I’m thrilled as a black queer artist to be collaborating with another black queer artist on what will be both of our Broadway debuts. I think the idea that I can say that openly and proudly is rather profound given the history of our country and of the American theater, but more specifically Broadway which has had and continues to have a general lack of diversity and diverse stories. I feel that Jeremy is joined today by a whole host of exciting young artists who are telling stories outside the main stem which can now hopefully be presented on the main stem. As the margin slowly becomes the center, I believe a cavalcade of voices one would never expect to be heard on Broadway can be and should be demanded.Slave Play is a complex, challenging and exhilarating piece of work and I look forward to presenting it this fall on Broadway.”

The creative team for the Broadway production includes Clint Ramos (scenic design), Dede Ayite (costume design), Jiyoun Chang (lighting design) and Lindsay Jones (sound design and original music). And in a reprise of her role with Broadway’s Frankie and Johnny in the Clair de Lune, Claire Warden will serve as Slave Play’s intimacy and fight director. Mark Shacket serves as Executive Producer.

Harris is represented by ICM, managed by ELIA, and attorney André Des Rochers of Granderson Des Rochers, LLP.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/07/us/afrofuture-fest-tiny-jag.html

Detroit Festival Backtracks After Charging White People Double
nytimes.com/2019/07/07/us/afrofuture-fest-tiny-jag.html
By Derrick Bryson TaylorJuly 7, 2019
A Detroit music festival that originally charged white people double the admission that it charged people of color has changed its pricing structure.

The festival, Afrofuture Fest, initially charged people of color $20 and “non-POC” $40, according to the ticketing details on its Eventbrite page early Sunday. Now all tickets will be $20.

The decision to change course came after threats and harassment, said Adrienne Ayers, who goes by Numi and is the founder and co-director of Afrofuture Youth. She said that after right-wing websites highlighted the pricing, people called and harassed the owner of the venue, and sent messages to her co-director’s family.

The pricing structure also led one performer, Jillian Graham, a rapper whose stage name is Tiny Jag, to drop out of the event.

“I just felt as if the wool was over my eyes,” said Ms. Graham, who identifies as biracial. “It was soon followed with just an overall recognition that this is just wrong. It wouldn’t matter what race I was, I knew that I didn’t agree with it.”

Ms. Ayers said no other artists had backed out. “Everybody else is fine,” she said. “Everybody on the lineup has expressed extreme support of everything that we’re doing.”

Unlock more free articles.
Create an account or log in
She announced the new ticket pricing on Sunday afternoon “for safety, not anything else but that.” She added that there would now be “a suggested donation for non-people of color.”

She said the previous price structure had been created because “events often designed for marginalized black and brown communities can easily be co-opted by those with cultural, monetary and class privileges.”

“Our goal is to ensure that the youth of our community can participate in the building of a more just society, one that specifically promotes equity over equality,” she added.

Fifty percent of the profits from the Aug. 3 festival, which will take place at Detroit’s Feedom Freedom farm, will go toward Afrofuture Youth, a sponsored program of the nonprofit Allied Media Projects.

The program focuses on young black people in Detroit, and aims to give middle- and high-school students the space and resources to build a “new, more equitable world,” according to its website. Ms. Ayers said the program currently benefits 10 children.

The festival is expected to attract at least 200 people, and as of Sunday had sold 71 tickets, Ms. Ayers said. She said that all 13 tickets initially set aside for white people were sold.

“There were a lot of white people who were telling us they didn’t mind paying extra,” she said. “Quite a few.”

The old pricing structure was “discriminatory” and could have resulted in lawsuits, said Tiffany Ellis, a Detroit-based civil rights lawyer. But, she said, private organizations have some leeway to choose who they are going to do business with and how they do that business.

“We have constitutional rights as an individual, and the 14th Amendment provides that we cannot be discriminated against because all people are created equal,” Ms. Ellis said Sunday. “When it’s a private actor, those protections are different.”

Ms. Ellis said the public relations fallout from the organization’s pricing would “tank” the idea much faster than any legal ramifications.

Despite the controversy, , there are already plans for another festival next year.

“The farm Feedom Freedom is in full support,” Ms. Ayers said. “Our supporters are all here. I want to make it clear that a lot of people in the city of Detroit, especially the Detroit art scene, are supportive of what we’re doing.”

I mean is it just in their nature? Someone chime in because all these old white dudes with money are getting busted for this

I think this dude was given a free pass because of all the dirt he had on elites.

This guy makes R Kelly look like child's play.

Last edited:
I mean is it just in their nature? Someone chime in because all these old white dudes with money are getting busted for this
Old white dudes with money think they’re invincible. I try to stay far away from them at all costs.

That **** is sinister. Adopting children while subjecting them to all types of abuse. If she's comfortable making that **** public then there's no doubt that foul things are going on in private.

She's basically saying to her friends "look at my little N***** babies"

**** Madonna, just cuz you got money doesn't make you a parent.

The state requested his bond be set to $100,000, however the judge ruled Brockway can be released on his own recognizance. Brockway had not been released as of 5 p.m. on Monday.

This is not Brockway’s first run in with police. He pleaded guilty to an assault with a weapon charge that occurred in 2011.

national_anthem_assault_53124_c0-131-3000-1880_s885x516.jpg

Back
Top Bottom