Official White Privilege Thread

^Think you quoted the wrong person. I'm talking about how skin color is the first physical trait considered when we make snap judgements about people we come across every day. Didn't say anything about law school applications or minority privilege.

Last edited:
it doesnt matter 
laugh.gif

any conversation on race begins and ends with what white people think, know, feel and how they arent receiving the same benefits as minorities

you talk about one thing, and they frame the convo to maintain their superiority 
mean.gif

You do realize in law school applications, minorities tend to want to expose their race and culture to them as much as possible.

On the other hand, Caucasians tend to want to hide their race. Reason being that more and more schools want diversity. So, a minority or a "POC" will get in before the Caucasian applicant with the same GPA & LSAT scores, coming from the same school.

Scholarships are plentiful in higher education, for minorities. Simply for being a minority and pursuing higher education.

Now, whether you choose to take advantage of these "minority" privileges is up to you.
And if not, well as somone stated in here.

You're a waste of something? I'm still curious to know what other people are a waste of in these situations.
this is a skewed view at best. its right and its wrong. schools dont necessarily want more diversity. they HAVE to have more diversity as mandated by law. its nearly affirmative action. its the same reason why schools have such bleak minority numbers compared to caucasian. 

example: i went to u of central florida in 2006. ended up leaving by the end of 07. the lack of diversity was killing me. im from miami, i couldnt take being the only black kid in my classes for over a year. i barely even SAW black people or minorities in general on campus. i felt alienated. NOW of course, the school has plenty of minorities... and thats not because minorities suddenly got smart. keep in mind, ucf is one of the top 5 largest schools in the US for undergrads. they were literally #1 just last year.

yes there are a good amount of scholarships for minorities HOWEVER, to say theyre plentiful? in comparison to what exactly? the vast majority of scholarships (if we keep it real) are going to white people. so the scholarships that we CAN get are the ones created specifically for us. so thats kind of a strange statement to say theres plenty.

i do agree with the next statement and minorities NOT taking advantage of those "privileges" or not even knowing about them is a whole different issue that needs to be addressed lol.

Last edited:
It's like comparing a murder and a paper cut. Yes there's blood in both cases, but the paper cut is wholly upset at you for focusing on the more intense action, arguing so much to refocus attention and negate that murder unless you agree you see that paper cut, and that its equal. That's where race discussions go these days, the paper cut stopping it from progressing until they are acknowledged.

this is a skewed view at best. its right and its wrong. schools dont necessarily want more diversity. they HAVE to have more diversity as mandated by law. its nearly affirmative action. its the same reason why schools have such bleak minority numbers compared to caucasian. 

example: i went to u of central florida in 2006. ended up leaving by the end of 07. the lack of diversity was killing me. im from miami, i couldnt take being the only black kid in my classes for over a year. i barely even SAW black people or minorities in general on campus. i felt alienated. NOW of course, the school has plenty of minorities... and thats not because minorities suddenly got smart. keep in mind, ucf is one of the top 5 largest schools in the US for undergrads. they were literally #1 just last year.

yes there are a good amount of scholarships for minorities HOWEVER, to say theyre plentiful? in comparison to what exactly? the vast majority of scholarships (if we keep it real) are going to white people. so the scholarships that we CAN get are the ones created specifically for us. so thats kind of a strange statement to say theres plenty.

i do agree with the next statement and minorities NOT taking advantage of those "privileges" or not even knowing about them is a whole different issue that needs to be addressed lol.

I don't believe any law requires them to recruit minorities. Their affiliates have set regulations that they adhere to.

Any way that you want to cut it, more minorities are getting in and have a better chance to do so. Even if some policy were passed to mirror affirmative action within law schools.

They are plentiful, in comparison to the percentage of minorities in America who are actually receiving them.

Caucasians may receive most of the scholarships. If they are qualified to do so, why shouldn't they?

Not knowing about them after they've been available for decades is a different issue. And that issue is the one that everyone wants to ignore in this thread.
because again, just keeping it real, if a black person and a white person have identical backgrounds from the same school, with the same gpa and test scores, with equally good essays, and equal financial needs.... more often than not, the white person will get that scholarship. this goes for pretty much every scholarship EXCEPT for the minority focused ones. i just think if a person black yellow white or brown is qualified, they should get it. but thts not the case. often times minorities will have greater financial need and still lose out to the equal gpa and test scores. again, just keeping it real.

its the reason that minority scholarships were created to begin with. for them to see the need to make scholarships solely for minorities means they recognized that there wasnt a fair shake in the default pool of scholarships.

now, that is where privilege comes into play. i saw a little cartoon that described it perfectly but i cant find it now and im at work. just imagine it.

it showed a black runner and a white runner next to each other. their race was technically the same length, but the white runner's track was a straight line. the black runner's race was winding back and forth and had obstacles on it, despite the finish lines being right next to each other.

because again, just keeping it real, if a black person and a white person have identical backgrounds from the same school, with the same gpa and test scores, with equally good essays, and equal financial needs.... more often than not, the white person will get that scholarship. this goes for pretty much every scholarship EXCEPT for the minority focused ones. i just think if a person black yellow white or brown is qualified, they should get it. but thts not the case. often times minorities will have greater financial need and still lose out to the equal gpa and test scores. again, just keeping it real.

its the reason that minority scholarships were created to begin with. for them to see the need to make scholarships solely for minorities means they recognized that there wasnt a fair shake in the default pool of scholarships.

now, that is where privilege comes into play. i saw a little cartoon that described it perfectly but i cant find it now and im at work. just imagine it.

it showed a black runner and a white runner next to each other. their race was technically the same length, but the white runner's track was a straight line. the black runner's race was winding back and forth and had obstacles on it, despite the finish lines being right next to each other.

I agree with the presence of "white privilege", that's a given. Anyone who says it doesn't exist is in denial.

However, to point a finger and say that it is the MOST SIGNIFICANT reason as to why minorities fail in America is just pathetic to me. It definitely plays a role in why certain races are held back, or why it is harder for them get ahead. It may be more difficult for a minority to get ahead, but it is FAR from impossible.

I used law school applications for my example, where it is actually beneficial to be a minority.

To say that it is the single most significant reason as to why a certain percentage are incarcerated, drop out of school, commit crimes, etc. is just not right, man.

Whether people want to admit that on these boards or not is not my concern.
oh without a doubt! saying white privilege as to why you cant succeed is the same as blaming your environment for YOUR behavior. its a crutch. an excuse. black people often dont succeed because we dont put ourselves in position to. that can be from lack of effort or lack of knowledge. outside forces play and HAVE played a role in that as well. white privilege plays a role on why its hard to put ourselves in a better position. systematic oppression is equal to the obstacles in our race in the example i talked about before. its possible, but its also twice as hard....but its possible. generational oppression is largely responsible for the lack of knowledge to do better. one things blacks never did is pass things down from genertion to generation. white people pass land, wealth,and knowledge down. so do asians and most recently latin people. blacks dont really own land like that, and because of our crabs in a bucket complex...we dont pass knowledge to ANYBODY. we barely have wealth (in comparison to white people) to pass down to begin with.

to overcome the circumstances, and WP, etc etc... black people would simply have to eradicate the crabs in a bucket complex. wed need to band together and make a conscious effort to do better as a people. to build each other up and have those who've made it come back and help others get out. then go back and teach others to get out. etc etc. start passing down that knowledge. start supporting our own businesses. hell, start making our own businesses! there is definitely a way to overcome systematic oppression/white privilege.,,, but it requires unity. and black people unfortunately are not united.

its been engrained in us since the days of slavery that light is right. we hated the house n**** for being favored. in modern times we hate the educated or lightskin brother or sister just because. speaking properly = acting white. we segregate ourselves now. and that was white people's plan from the jump centuries ago... the problem is, we know its their plan...and we are still following it.

Last edited:
It's not even worth it some people just aren't going to get it & if those going back and forth with him have read his statements in any other race related thread you will see where he truly lies on this "debate"

Shouldn't this be called the "Asian Privilege Thread"? Asians are more educated and make more money than any other race in America.

Shouldn't this be called the "Asian Privilege Thread"? Asians are more educated and make more money than any other race in America.
from one thread to another.

straight from the William O'Reilly playbook..

lemme shut this down real quick...

The Chinese Exclusion Act meant that for a long while, no asians came to the US. It wasn't until the 80s when universities accepted large amounts of highly skilled and educated Chinese students that immigration came up again really, and that is selection bias at its very max; only taking the best and the brightest of a country.

It's no wonder they had great success here in the US. It's an extremely skewed population.

Most of the Chinese that came here during the earlier years STILL live in their China Towns. The super excelling kids majority come from the handpicked students that have been coming over in the past 40 years.

Compare this to the history of African Americans; they have long been in the US with racism institutionalized against them. From slavery to Jim Crow to separate but equal, blacks have faced far more systemic oppression than other groups.

Throw in the fact that the earliest ancestors were supplanted and taken to America against their will, and had their entire cultural identity stripped away. Their culture has been built against this backdrop of 200+ years of oppression and poverty.

sit down, bruh.

from one thread to another.

straight from the William O'Reilly playbook..

lemme shut this down real quick...

The Chinese Exclusion Act meant that for a long while, no asians came to the US. It wasn't until the 80s when universities accepted large amounts of highly skilled and educated Chinese students that immigration came up again really, and that is selection bias at its very max; only taking the best and the brightest of a country.

It's no wonder they had great success here in the US. It's an extremely skewed population.

Most of the Chinese that came here during the earlier years STILL live in their China Towns. The super excelling kids majority come from the handpicked students that have been coming over in the past 40 years.

Compare this to the history of African Americans; they have long been in the US with racism institutionalized against them. From slavery to Jim Crow to separate but equal, blacks have faced far more systemic oppression than other groups.

Throw in the fact that the earliest ancestors were supplanted and taken to America against their will, and had their entire cultural identity stripped away. Their culture has been built against this backdrop of 200+ years of oppression and poverty.

sit down, bruh.

Asians were forced into internment camps during World War II.

Asians were forced into internment camps during World War II.

1. lol @ you comparing 30 years of detention to 200+ years of slavery
2. they were able to keep their culture, and werent forced to learn a new language
3. guess you skipped over the part where i said most of those asians are still in their own little chinatowns, and the exceptional ones tend to come from the more recent generations
4. they received reparations for it

No, those are the facts. Asian families stick together, have good values, and they value education. Anyone can get to the top. 
Do you have statistical evidence of this?
50.5%
The percentage of Asians, age 25 and older, who have a bachelor's degree or higher level of education. Asians have the highest proportion of college graduates of any race or ethnic group in the country and this compares with 28 percent for all Americans 25 and older.

21.2%
The percentage of Asians, age 25 and older, who have an advanced degree (e.g., Master's, Ph.D., M.D. or J.D.). This compares with 10 percent for all Americans 25 and older. 

$70,644
Median household income for Asians in 2012, the highest among all race groups.

No, those are the facts. Asian families stick together, have good values, and they value education. Anyone can get to the top. 

What do you refer to as the top? Many Asians hit the proverbial "glass ceiling" and won't receive anymore than what they're making, much less anything in the high 6 to 7 figures. Nor will they move up the corporate ladder like a white person could.

And there's still a negative portrayal of Asian stereotypes in the media.

I'm not trying to get in to a pissing match over who had it worse (I will concede blacks have been through much more), but please don't act as if Asians are equal to whites in this country. No one is.

Stop acknowledging these supremacist who like to deflect away from the topic. Stay on topic and let these fools continue to be fools

wed need to band together

make a conscious effort to do better as a people.

build each other up

have those who've made it come back and help others get out.

go back and teach others to get out. etc etc.

start passing down that knowledge.

start supporting our own businesses.

start making our own businesses!

there is definitely a way to overcome systematic oppression/white privilege.,,, but it requires unity. and black people unfortunately are not united.

Not surprised this was ignored, yes the system is imbalanced, both by history and numbers, but what will repeating this revelation in an endless amount of different ways going to change?

Blacks supporting blacks is a routinely under-acknowledged topic here, and I really believe it is a key, or even the key, for change.

Other minority groups certainly don't share similar background as blacks in this country, but they sure do model superior internal support systems (to varying degrees, of course)

Why not redirect the attention that's commonly focused OUTSIDE of the community and refocus it to INSIDE of the community?

Not trying to argue at all, I'm legitimately asking, any insight is surely appreciated.

Stop acknowledging these supremacist who like to deflect away from the topic. Stay on topic and let these fools continue to be fools

PRECISELY why people use name calling, to distract people from an otherwise meaningful discussion.

There's no white supremacy in here, just a diversity of perspective, exposure to which will certainly serve you well.

NOT everyone thinks like you, NOT everyone will agree with you. This is something that is fact, whether you accept it or not is anther story, but shutting down others because the inability to relate to their views is the hallmark of ignorance

Back
Top Bottom