:::[Official]World Cup South Africa 2010 Thread:::

Originally Posted by Keepie Uppie

Xtapolapacetl wrote:

Did you watch the game vs South Korea in 2002?
i wasn't referring to ANYTHING that happened in 2002...

You said that Fifa "keep" staying Spain fanboys. So will you please answer me if they are such continuous Spain fanboys, why did two completely legitgoals get erased by Fifa officials in 2002, decisions that eventually kicked Spain out of the World Cup. And this isn't ancient history. This is just twoworld cups ago.

almost always get them online

soccer.com and onionbag.com both have a pretty good selection

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

You said that Fifa "keep" staying Spain fanboys.
my bad for saying "keep"...sorry i've mislead you...

anyway,my comments has something to do with club football...but it's 5:30am here so i'm way too lazy to explain...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

What's the best place to buy jerseys online or in stores? Any nationwide retailers?

Look up local soccer shops, I'm sure you have a few in your city. Online you can try worldsoccershop.com, soccer.com, onionbag.com.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

What's the best place to buy jerseys online or in stores? Any nationwide retailers?

If you're in the DC area (assumption based on your avy), there's a store on 355 in Rockville that has a nice selection. Also the adidas store inTyson's Corner mall has a bunch of soccer jerseys. Prices may be a bit cheaper online but there is a lot of variance in the way soccer jerseys fit so Ialways try to wear them in the store before buying them. Just steer clear of eBay and Asian sellers. Soccer.com, onionbag.com, worldsoccershop.com, eastbay.comare all pretty good bets.

There's a shop in Fairfax too. But make sure to call to see what they have, sometimes stores don't know when they gettheir next shipment in, especially on Nike jerseys.

Back in 06 I said Argentina or Brazil would win the 2010 WC since a European country has never won the WC outside of Europe.

Almost 4 years later and Brazil look to be very strong while Argentina barely qualified.

Brazil are a much different squad from the past 16 years or so. They are almost as good in defence and central midfield as any country in the world. This teamdoes not have 1-2 stars that'll carry the load offensively like Romario, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, in the recent past. They just have a bunch of guyswho can score goals for them. This is a very solid counter-attacking team with few weaknesses. They are one of the big favorites going into the WC.

Argentina barely qualified but it does not matter how you performed in WCQ. The biggest problem for Argentina is that they now have only 5 months to figure outwhat their starting formation is going to look like. The top teams in the world have stuck with the same core players for the last 2-years or so whileArgentina have been changing their line-up on a game-to-game basis. This team is stacked up front with guys like Tevez, Aguero, Messi, Milito, Higuian, etc.all capable of scoring goals. The problem is that only 2 of them can start unless Maradona decides to go with a 4-3-3 formation. Argentina's centralmidfield and defence are very shaky. They have their ball winner in Mascherano but they lack a central midfielder who can link up the defence with attack.Argentina have some good defenders but Maradona keeps opting to go with bums like Gabriel Heinze. This is a team that will not have trouble advancing out oftheir group due to talent alone but I'm not sure they're capable of keeping tight at the back when the goals dry up in the late stages of thistournament.

I think Spain are the European team with the best chance of making history and winning the WC outside of its continent. This team is stacked with no realweakness. The knock against Spain is that this team is not very tough mentally and they choke in big matches. I think this is a very different team and guyslike Torres, Fabregas, Xavi, Iniesta, Puyols, etc. are no strangers to adversity. This is a team that'll fight to the death and make it deep in thistourney. Del Bosque's only real dilemma is who he'll start in midfield. Spain went with Xavi, Iniesta and Senna during Euro 08 but then went with Xavi,Fabregas and Xabi Alonso during the Confederations Cup since Iniesta and Senna were injured.

If they all stay healthy, Del Bosque will have to choose 3 of Xavi, Xabi Alonso, Iniesta, Fabregas, Senna, Busquets to start for Spain. I can see him goingwith Xabi Alonso or Senna as his defensive midfielder, Xavi next to them as the CM with Iniesta on one of the wings and Fabregas as the roamingattacking-midfielder.

England are very good defensively and will probably come out of their group unbeaten but I'm not confident in their attackers' ability to score somegoals once they meet some healthy competition. Assuming that England win Group C, they have a relatively easy road to the semi-finals as long as one of theseeded teams dont finish 2nd. If France dont win Group A then England wont have anyone standing in their way of a final 4 spot.

You cant rule Italy or Germany...2 traditional WC power houses.

I'm not too confident in Holland...they've let me down way too many times in the past. I may be wrong but I think their biggest weakness is defence.

Portugal are a very strong team defensively but they do not have anyone to score for them other than C. Ronaldo. They may be forced to go with him as theircentral forward in the WC.

France are not that strong but they are in a relatively easy group. This is a team that had trouble scoring during WCQ and were not that good defensively.Anelka, Henry and Gignac wont scare anyone. Come to think of it, they scored 2 lucky !!$ goals vs. Ireland
laugh.gif
. The first one by Anelka was a weak shot that got deflected into the net. Thesecond goal by Gallas was set up by Henry's hand. Sorry France fans but there is little reason to support this team unless you're French. They'renot a very entertaining team to watch and Domenech's tactics will have you shaking your fists in anger.

Anybody going to the Mexico game in my beautiful city of Pasadena tonight? After hours in old town after the W!!

Went to see Honduras vs Turkey at a bar earlier...Turkey DOMINATED and the 2nd goal was beauty. Honduras had Zero affect attacking (Suazo Shut down)

Originally Posted by Fear The Ibis

This US team is terrible
Dang World cup started already
eek.gif

Anyways.. A good day of football thus far..
Ivory Coast faltering to Korea.. Uh Oh.. I'm sure Guus will get in there and set things straight.

Originally Posted by APLX2

Anybody going to the Mexico game in my beautiful city of Pasadena tonight? After hours in old town after the W!!

Going to the Mexico game for sure. 5 mins away from my house. Copped them 4 tickets this morning. Headed to the festivities they're having in a few. 

Head out to the 35er. Barcelona would be cool but they'll be more strict with the dress code. Lucky Baldwin's maybe?

Btw, Argentina played a lot better today. The albiceleste actually looked like a team today. 

Tournaments this long are always bound for some sort of surprise big or small so I don't like to make predictions as to who might win. I'll be in The Netherlands during the WC to support the Oranje. We have a strong team with tons of depth. Hopefully Van Persie will be ready in time for the tourney.....

Some of the results that stood out to me:

Argentina winning @ Germany. Huge confidence boost for the team and Cokadonna may have found the key ingredients to his starting XI. I'm surprised these 2 teams went ahead with this match seeing as how there is a very good chance they will meet up in the quarter-finals of the WC.

Spain winning @ France. I'm not surprised that France lost, but I'm surprised they lost at home. Domenech is a clueless manager but France have an easy route to atleast the QFs as long as they win their group. Great win for Spain...probably the best team in the world in the past 2 years but they've got a very tough route in the WC.

Serbia winning 3-0 @ Algeria. I'm shocked Algeria lost by such a huge scoreline at home while playing with 9 of their starters. This team is a mess right now and will need to revert back to their tight team defense strategy that got them to the WC in the first place. Winning so easily in a hostile environment on the road is huge for confidence and I think that Serbia will make it to the KO-stage of the WC.

South Korea beating the CIV in London. The CIV are a disaster right now (no coach, no defence, so much talent). Rumors are they're after a high profile coach such as Hiddink or Eriksson.

Senegal winning @ Greece. How the heck did this happen? Senegal haven't been relevant in 4-years but still beat WC-bound Greece in a match which Greece scheduled to prepare for Nigeria.

Most of the other results were pretty predictable. We shouldn't draw too many conclusions though from these friendlies. History has told us time and time again that pre-WC form does not mean anything once the WC gets under-way.

Chicharito has scored 4 goals in 4 appearances with Mexico..He's young but I'd rather have him up top instead of Franco..

Back
Top Bottom