:::[Official]World Cup South Africa 2010 Thread:::

Convincing win by Argentina today. It was against a terrible team so you cant make anything out of the result but it was good to see the team play well without arguably their 2 most important players (Messi and Veron). Veron came on in the 2nd half but the match had already been long decided.

I didnt watch the England match since I was watching Argentina match but according to soccernet's statistics, Mexico dominated the match with 60+% possession and 23 shots attempted. What happened? England played like crap, Mexico took control when the match was pretty much decided, or did England sit back and let Mexico control the match? Anyways, I wouldnt make too much of this result either. England usually win at home and usually beat weaker teams like Mexico. On the other side, Mexico usually dont beat teams like England. I think that this was a good test for Mexico though. Playing @ England will prove to be tougher than playing France on neutral ground IMO.

^mexico outplayed england in the first yet couldnt finish. england took easy advantage of set plays and horrible defense by mexico. the second half was pretty much even with england playing slightly better.

England winning over Mexico isn't a surprise, but it's still the same old story: Neither of these two teams are going anywhere particularly interesting in the World Cup. Japan has also been a huge letdown, being trashed in every friendly they've played recently. I was kind of hoping that they would finally have a good World Cup, but they're moving in the opposite direction. Wow, Portugal only managed a goalless draw against some island nation, one of those nations that only has the flag carrier as their sole representative during the Olympics opening ceremony. How could we not get past these guys in the WC qualifying playoff round?
smh.gif

A fantasy World Cup game? That's dope as hell
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
. I'm a bit confused though, can you create a league and have your friends join, or does it run differently?

Oh yeah, I wouldn't mind an Italy repeat (Italian-American right here)
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Convincing win by Argentina today. It was against a terrible team so you cant make anything out of the result but it was good to see the team play well without arguably their 2 most important players (Messi and Veron). Veron came on in the 2nd half but the match had already been long decided.

I didnt watch the England match since I was watching Argentina match but according to soccernet's statistics, Mexico dominated the match with 60+% possession and 23 shots attempted. What happened? England played like crap, Mexico took control when the match was pretty much decided, or did England sit back and let Mexico control the match? Anyways, I wouldnt make too much of this result either. England usually win at home and usually beat weaker teams like Mexico. On the other side, Mexico usually dont beat teams like England. I think that this was a good test for Mexico though. Playing @ England will prove to be tougher than playing France on neutral ground IMO.
England capitalized on their set pieces taking advantage of their height. The first goal was off of an error by the Mexican defender that gave up a corner kick. The second goal should have been an offsides, and the third goal would have been stopped by any keeper over 5'7. Aguirre fielded out third keeper (Perez) who is damn near 40 and about 5'5. Mexico missed two CLEAR goal oppertunities. Overall Mexico played well and it was a pretty even match throughout the whole game with Mexico dominating the first half and England the secon. It should have been 3-3 but like always, Mexico has trouble finishing. Not upset about the game though, like I said I thought Mexico played well in the first half. Both squads experimented quite a bit and overall it was a good friendly. 

I've come to 2 conclusions after watching the mex-eng game.
1. the only people who hype either of those teams are its respective fanbase, and media
2. US has more than enough to beat england

and portugal tying 0-0 to cape verde?
laugh.gif
I had to google that country...I mean damn, i think even my squad, el salvador, could have beat that team

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

England capitalized on their set pieces taking advantage of their height. The first goal was off of an error by the Mexican defender that gave up a corner kick. The second goal should have been an offsides, and the third goal would have been stopped by any keeper over 5'7. Aguirre fielded out third keeper (Perez) who is damn near 40 and about 5'5. Mexico missed two CLEAR goal oppertunities. Overall Mexico played well and it was a pretty even match throughout the whole game with Mexico dominating the first half and England the secon. It should have been 3-3 but like always, Mexico has trouble finishing. Not upset about the game though, like I said I thought Mexico played well in the first half. Both squads experimented quite a bit and overall it was a good friendly. 

pretty much word for word how I feel NT23. While I didn't expect a W, I was more than satisfied the way they had posession.

Need to super bold to emphasize our lack of finishing power
smh.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by EZLN1

1. the only people who hype either of those teams are its respective fanbase, and media

laugh.gif
I had to google that country...I mean damn, i think even my squad, el salvador, could have beat that team

laugh.gif
 at you being able to make a solid prediction based off of an experimental friendly match. There are at least 5 starters on the English team that didn't see a minute of PT. Although I do think England is overrated, to say that the U.S. has more than enough to beat them is laughable. I hope the the USNT is as overconfident as it's fans, because they'll be getting a huge reality check. 

Originally Posted by bkmac

A fantasy World Cup game? That's dope as hell
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
. I'm a bit confused though, can you create a league and have your friends join, or does it run differently?
Yeah you can create your league (That's all you are really able to do at the moment)...I created a Public league in it during the Qualifiers.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
 at you being able to make a solid prediction based off of an experimental friendly match. There are at least 5 starters on the English team that didn't see a minute of PT. Although I do think England is overrated, to say that the U.S. has more than enough to beat them is laughable. I hope the the USNT is as overconfident as it's fans, because they'll be getting a huge reality check. 
 I'm not a US fan...I'll quasi root for them during the WC, but that's about it.
And I've seen enough of England and the US to say the US has more than enough to beat them. England's defense had noticeable lapses today, and they let a average team in MEX hold possession at home....but whatever, %@@% dont matter....like Xtapolap said a few posts back, neither of those teams is doing anything in less than a month. You should be more worried about your group and that opening match

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
And I've seen enough of England and the US to say the US has more than enough to beat them. England's defense had noticeable lapses today, and they let a average team in MEX hold possession at home....but whatever, %@@% dont matter....like Xtapolap said a few posts back, neither of those teams is doing anything in less than a month. You should be more worried about your group and that opening match
Let me worry about my team in the WC. You can worry about yours making the WC 
wink.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Already some stupid comments being made and the World Cup is 3 weeks away. Leighton Baines wasn't even supposed to make the final squad before this friendly, and he was so awful today he'll surely be cut now. They were exposed in that area but have the best LB in the world set to feature, so it's nothing for them to worry over. I'm sure Lamps will help their link up play in the midfield too. I like how you agree with the Quetzacuatl dude when a page back he proclaimed Lisandro Lopez is better than Milito and Aguero. Like c'mon, that's not the way to get attention.

Why do you go so hard at Mexico for all these years? It's tired, man. Is Mexico going to win the World Cup? No. Are they capable of playing stylish football? Yes. It's the World Cup, every country's fans should have high hopes, but at the end of the day they all know what's realistic. Mexico performed well today, lots of bright spots. The goals they gave up were rubbish, even Glen Johnson's strike (which was great) saw some lazy defending. In a WC match one of those defenders is going to slide tackle, but not in a warm-up. How is the US going to score when they don't even want to attack? They can't hold the ball the way Mexico can and did today, so I don't know what makes you believe they have what it takes to get past England.

Incredible goal. To get that sort of power and placement with the outside of your foot, in stride, is just absurd. If this Argentina squad learns to play as a unit, it's going to be incredible to watch. My dream final is still Argentina-Spain.

Originally Posted by ERASCISM

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Already some stupid comments being made and the World Cup is 3 weeks away. Leighton Baines wasn't even supposed to make the final squad before this friendly, and he was so awful today he'll surely be cut now. They were exposed in that area but have the best LB in the world set to feature, so it's nothing for them to worry over. I'm sure Lamps will help their link up play in the midfield too. I like how you agree with the Quetzacuatl dude when a page back he proclaimed Lisandro Lopez is better than Milito and Aguero. Like c'mon, that's not the way to get attention.

Why do you go so hard at Mexico for all these years? It's tired, man. Is Mexico going to win the World Cup? No. Are they capable of playing stylish football? Yes. It's the World Cup, every country's fans should have high hopes, but at the end of the day they all know what's realistic. Mexico performed well today, lots of bright spots. The goals they gave up were rubbish, even Glen Johnson's strike (which was great) saw some lazy defending. In a WC match one of those defenders is going to slide tackle, but not in a warm-up. How is the US going to score when they don't even want to attack? They can't hold the ball the way Mexico can and did today, so I don't know what makes you believe they have what it takes to get past England.

Like my boy said..England has a world class defense, and the U.S.'s major weak spot is up top. Who the hell is going to score for them? Altidore? He's been garbage recently. Donovan? If you put him up top, there goes any kind of creativity you had in the midfield. Unfortunately for the Americans, they're going to miss Davies A LOT, and will have a hard time beating England.

Pretty much NT, we see eye to eye.

And as far as Mex being an AVG team? They are definitely an above avg team. For instance, they are able to have control of the ball against quality teams as was demonstrated against England. In addition, if you look back at the 2006 WC Mexico played better throughout the full 90 than Argentina, but if it weren't for Maxi's Golazo, history would have been rewritten in Mexico's favor possibly, who knows.

All I'm saying is that Mexico has squad with this generation of players and don't be surprised if we make it to Semis.

But as Persia was saying my Dream Final would be Argentina-Spain as well.

ERASCISM wrote:

EZLN1 wrote:

NikeTalker23 wrote:

EZLN1 wrote:

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Like my boy said..England has a world class defense, and the U.S.'s major weak spot is up top. Who the hell is going to score for them? Altidore? He's been garbage recently. Donovan? If you put him up top, there goes any kind of creativity you had in the midfield. Unfortunately for the Americans, they're going to miss Davies A LOT, and will have a hard time beating England.

Jozy been garbage lately?

you must not have seen the last few games he had at hull.

and one of englands weakness today was defending the wings, Landon and Clint should have that covered.

and a some other poster mentioned that england has the best lb in the world, did you see what Landon did to him last time they faced each other?

I don't think there is any need to argue in extremes. The truth is probably that the US is capable of giving England trouble if it plays as well as it did towards the end of the CC, but England is a better team overall. Counting out the Yanks would be dumb, but saying they should/will beat England is equally dumb. To me it's a classic underdog-with-a-fighting-chance matchup.

Back
Top Bottom