Officially Retired from sneakers

I have more Lebrons than I do Jordans.
wvOI0QR.png

I’m 99% out the “game”, waiting to see what JB does with the 17s this year. That is the only shoe I am waiting on, as it was the shoe that started my love for sneakers, and will be a nice full circle moment.

I’m down to 10 pairs, after having owned/sold hundreds over the years.

In hindsight I should’ve bought way less in general, and held on to some pairs, but that’s how the game goes for some.

At this point in life (33) I have different priorities and sneakers are a thing of the past to me. I enjoy the conversation/pics so I keep up with forums and sneaker media, but my purchasing days are over.

I’m 99% out the “game”, waiting to see what JB does with the 17s this year. That is the only shoe I am waiting on, as it was the shoe that started my love for sneakers, and will be a nice full circle moment.

I’m down to 10 pairs, after having owned/sold hundreds over the years.

In hindsight I should’ve bought way less in general, and held on to some pairs, but that’s how the game goes for some.

At this point in life (33) I have different priorities and sneakers are a thing of the past to me. I enjoy the conversation/pics so I keep up with forums and sneaker media, but my purchasing days are over.
How often do you wear Jordans and other sneakers when you’re not at work?

How often do you wear Jordans and other sneakers when you’re not at work?

I’ve been better with rotating pairs in more recent times. I work from home so I mainly go out on the weekends, I’ll try to rotate 2-3 pairs throughout the week just from running errands throughout the week and going out on the weekend

I’ve been better with rotating pairs in more recent times. I work from home so I mainly go out on the weekends, I’ll try to rotate 2-3 pairs throughout the week just from running errands throughout the week and going out on the weekend
As long as you’re still wearing them on a regular basis, I’d say you’re still in the game.

Maybe you’re retired from collecting, but you’re not retired from sneakers.

…you’re still alive.

I definitely went through a purge phase. I'm still blessed enough to hoop weekly so that keeps me in the game as far as sneakers to play in. For my casual wear I really restricted myself to my favorite model Jordans (11 & 12) and even then highly selective of what I buy. Although, I do like looking at pics still and if given the chance go to the store and look at them in person.

I recently got the Cherry 12s and gratitude 11s. I do have infrared 34s and luka pe 35 lows for my hoop rotation and waiting the arrival of the AE 1s to try out.

my collection other than what I mentioned above consists of:

bred 11s
Space Jam 11s
taxi 12s
Playoff 12s
Chris Paul PE 13s
Kobe 11 low Achilles
navy blue and gum bottom foamposites
NikeCourt Air Zoom Vapor AJ3 blue ones that sat for a minute lol.

I'm not officially retired, but I'm just about there. My purchases are far and between from 20+ years in the game and now I only buy limited releases or retros that haven't been released in ages. I may buy 6 shoes a year now

47 y/o and been into sneakers since I was about 10.

Don’t ever really see myself falling out of love with sneakers. What this hobby has become, resellers, retail releases etc, those things I absolutely hate. But certain aspects I do love. Lacing up a new pair. Putting on a shoe with certain memories attached, etc.

With age, obviously we have other responsibilities and things in our lives to take up our time and money, but the love, the love never dies, at least for me.

47 y/o and been into sneakers since I was about 10.

Don’t ever really see myself falling out of love with sneakers. What this hobby has become, resellers, retail releases etc, those things I absolutely hate. But certain aspects I do love. Lacing up a new pair. Putting on a shoe with certain memories attached, etc.

With age, obviously we have other responsibilities and things in our lives to take up our time and money, but the love, the love never dies, at least for me.
I'm about the same age with the same point of view. Well said.

The styliest most comfortable (especially) daddish shoes are asics gel lyte 3 the split tongue is a gamechanger. I bought my dad a pair and hes 60 and they looked fresh on his old feet.
if your looking to reinvent your shoe game look no further

Ironically in a thread about retiring, your post caused me to look these up. Just bought a fresh pair that’s on sale on the Asics site for $69 lol

Niketalker of the Year: headdetective (voted Koncrete Kickz last year, Spooonmanofthehour and rainking before that)

I had no idea. My winning coffee mug must’ve gotten stolen by UPS. No respect.

Just saw this thread and discovered I won the top award way back in 2020 and had no idea. Never got my trophy or any single thing. What a screwjob :smh:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I've been getting pretty heavy into decluttering recently and it's kinda addictive. Dropping car loads of **** off at Goodwill and throwing tons of **** in the garbage and not missing any of it is incredibly gratifying. Seeing flat surfaces free of miscellany and floors free of unnecessary furniture is so much easier to keep clean and organized.

I know there was a rash of it after that "Tidying Up" show was on Netflix a few years back, but I'm kinda trying to go harder. Don't know if I'm gonna go full on minimalist, but after going down the algorithm rabbit hole on decluttering and reading up on Swedish Death Cleaning, I am 99% in. Swedish Death Cleaning is basically the practice of getting rid of unnecessary stuff from your home so that your family and friends aren't burdened with cleaning it up after you're. gone It's kinda grim origins, but the modern use is more of a lifestyle change of just eliminating what isn't necessary and changing your relationship with material things in general.

The only thing I'm having trouble severely paring down as of yet are sneakers and some clothing items (I'm a hoodie and jacket hoarder). I have a dream of having like my 10 absolute must have sneakers, the necessary clothes, and nothing else, but it's a big change and what is going to take me the longest. And selling all of the stuff that has a little value is a pain in the ***.

For the past 20 years I’ve always had 1 foot in 1 foot out this hobby I think that’s the sweet spot. If you’re too into it you either get trapped in the fomo mentality or get burned out bc like you said it’s always the same models releasing. Also doesn’t help when fakes are so common which devalues everything and makes everyone suspicious of each other.

I have exactly 20 pairs. I consider my collection “complete” bc almost all of them are my fav models in colorways that imo can’t really be improved on or “replaced”. For example since the beginning I’ve always wanted some all-navy 3s with no gimmicks and traditional EP … or a simple pair of white/black 4s in MB colorblocking. And now I got the Georgetown 3s and Military Black 4s… I think I’m good for the next couple years

For the past 20 years I’ve always had 1 foot in 1 foot out this hobby I think that’s the sweet spot. If you’re too into it you either get trapped in the fomo mentality or get burned out bc like you said it’s always the same models releasing. Also doesn’t help when fakes are so common which devalues everything and makes everyone suspicious of each other.

I have exactly 20 pairs. I consider my collection “complete” bc almost all of them are my fav models in colorways that imo can’t really be improved on or “replaced”. For example since the beginning I’ve always wanted some all-navy 3s with no gimmicks and traditional EP … or a simple pair of white/black 4s in MB colorblocking. And now I got the Georgetown 3s and Military Black 4s… I think I’m good for the next couple years

I want to get there.

Getting older and not having as many things to do (dates, bars, homie links, random links, solo links, pre pandemic living) plus the nasty **** that's invaded the hobby is making it hard to have a consistent passion and love. The end of 2020 was it for me.. Nike dropped Neon 95s and made them limited like they were a collab. I was disgusted and my passion hasn't been the same.

Add that to having a heap of kicks from years of collecting.. a brand that does not market to you anymore or care if you have a place in this thing. Don't know about retire but I can see myself shaving away at doubles and stuff that isnt a must have. Honestly, always did over the years to off set cost but never from this perspective.

Getting older and not having as many things to do (dates, bars, homie links, random links, solo links, pre pandemic living) plus the nasty **** that's invaded the hobby is making it hard to have a consistent passion and love. The end of 2020 was it for me.. Nike dropped Neon 95s and made them limited like they were a collab. I was disgusted and my passion hasn't been the same.

Add that to having a heap of kicks from years of collecting.. a brand that does not market to you anymore or care if you have a place in this thing. Don't know about retire but I can see myself shaving away at doubles and stuff that isnt a must have. Honestly, always did over the years to off set cost but never from this perspective.
ADVERTISEMENT​
Well over 40 B……and the madness never ends lol. I scaled down at least 8 times and I turn around and my numbers are back up to where I started. I thought for sure I’d be done when my daughter enrolled at TCU……nope! Her scholarships leave me paying $2k/year for a top tier education. All that preparation over the past few years and it turned out as a positive to our finances. Grandparents bought her a brand new car and everything…..

So in all my boredom in my free time, I’m out here catching deals on Oneness. Random 50%-60% off some releases got me shaking my head as I checkout lol. But, I’m also not going to start buying sneakers at the same place I buy my car batteries and food items, so if they’re a decent price and a decent retro color, I’ll pull the trigger. Got a 3rd pair of Playoff Flight Lite 2s, cuz they were $57. Wildin. But, they way I see it……if my neighbors down the street got collectors cars in their garage, a rifle/pistol collection, or any other things guys my age collect, why can’t I have a sneaker collection? Old dawgs like me been waiting on Flight Lite 2s and Air Unlimiteds to come back. If they fix the Air Ups and release the Maestro 1s, I’m in no question.

Last edited:
If my reimagined 4s go MIA in the postal system I will absolutely leave the game forever.

…never to be seen or heard from again.

Back
Top Bottom