[::OFFSEASON OVER. Lock Please.::]

Which New Laker Acquisition Will Shine The Most This Upcoming Season?

• Jordan Farmar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nick Young

• Chris Kaman

• Elias Harris

• Wesley Johnson

• Ryan Kelly

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
ESPN version also confirms Jeanie saying D'Antoni was my father's wish.

Get her outta here with this mess.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but Jerry made the wrong decision. Fortunately, it isn't impossible to fix it.

I mean we can accept that Brown was the wrong choice. That's on Jim. He gets that blame. But he also knew when it was time to pull the trigger on getting him out.

I don't get Jeanie's angle here other than trying to sell books. And if that is the motive, please keep her away from basketball decisions.

I don't want Jeanie in charge either. Frankly, the answer is likely outside of the Buss family.

I don't think Jim Buss is getting a fair shake. He hasn't done anything that signifies he can't be a great owner.

He hired Mike Brown? So what. Mike Brown has one of the better records in the past decade. It didn't work out, and he axed him after a year. Not every coaching hire made by Jerry was good either. Ever good owner has terrible choices for coaches at some point. Mike Brown also suffered from replacement syndrome, where you are given the task of replacing someone who is bigger than the position. He could have hired Brian Shaw.. Sure. But when that didn't work out, he'd be roasted for picking someone who had no experience in a win-now culture.

2012-13 he was big in creating a team that was a contender. That's undeniable. But putting a contender on paper, doesn't mean all the players will live up to their potential.

D12 was gone in January. And if you made a list why he left, Jim Buss wouldn't be high on the list.

2013-14 with Dwight leaving, he could have said meh F it. They've made multiple quality signings for cheap, and did not risk flexibility.

Last edited:
I realize you don't consider D'Antoni his hire, but I would argue that still happened under his control. Jerry was in his last days and he wants to try and relive Showtime? That wasn't going to happen, and Jim should have seen that and talked his dad out of it. It's simply impossible to me that Jim, Jerry and Mitch looked at D'Antoni and the roster and thought they could play that tempo. And if they did then shame on all of them. I'm convinced that cost us Dwight Howard.

Any fellow Laker fans been watching this Mercury/Sparks series? :\

We better not lose at home. :smh:

Y'all flip to ESPN2 if you want to catch the last few minutes.

I realize you don't consider D'Antoni his hire, but I would argue that still happened under his control. Jerry was in his last days and he wants to try and relive Showtime? That wasn't going to happen, and Jim should have seen that and talked his dad out of it. It's simply impossible to me that Jim, Jerry and Mitch looked at D'Antoni and the roster and thought they could play that tempo. And if they did then shame on all of them. I'm convinced that cost us Dwight Howard.

Maybe it did cost us dwight, but I didnt even want him. Look at his attitude, if he doesnt want to be there, who beg him to come back? Yeah he's an awesome player, but we dont need him.

Kobe + Phil + Dwight = deep playoff run

I believe that with every red blood cell in my body.

As do I.

And honestly, we've had much worse personalities in LA than Dwight. Let's not forget when Shaq took time off during the season for his ****ing toe. Or that Kobe leveraged trade demands multiple times over the time.

I'm almost positive Phil wouldn't have allowed Bean to do what the hell he wanted and play 40+ minutes a game. He doesn't respect MDA enough to listen to him.The injuries still may occurred but Phil isa matter at managing egos ie Kobe and Shaq (Kobe and Dwight). Almost a guarantee Dwight would still be here.

Kobe used to check into games on his own accord when Phil coached.

Phil probably wouldn't have played him 40+ minutes a game though. Then again, Phil never had the small margin of error like D'Antoni had this past season.

Last edited:
Dwight didn't want to be here in the first place. You could tell by his uninspired play throughout the season. Yeah injuries plagued him and he couldn't play up to his full potential, but something about him just didn't sit well with people. To me, he didn't want to be here, never wanted to be here. I can see where Essential is coming from about Jim Buss not getting fair treatment to a certain extent. Didn't they confirm that Jerry gave most of his power to Jeanie and Jerry the past few seasons?

To me Jim does deserve some credit, but he also deserve some of the blame. The situation with MDA and Phil was handled poorly, and we all agree that we do not side on the hiring of MDA in the first place. But if power was given to Jim and Jeanie the past few season, take a look at who was brought up, CP3, and Dwight. Those 2 big names within a 3-4 year span. We had 1 out of the 2 of them, and I wouldn't call that a complete failure. Sure, the CP3 trade was nixed, but that was out of our control :smh: . The Dwight trade went down, but it didn't pan out the way we saw it.

If the whole Jim vs Jeanie thing continues to go on, I don't think our answer is in the Buss family. Unfortunately we might have to look elsewhere if that is the case.

Dwight had a quote during that time saying he'd love to play for Phil and it would be great for his career or something. So yes I do think it was one of the forks in the road with Dwight. If Phil was here he would've been happier, and I think if things still didn't go well, it would've been harder for him to check out on all the levels he did.

But we knew how Dwight was, how Dwight is, and how Dwight will be. I still think we dodged a bullet. I don't want a player where the Lakers need to align the planets for him to come out of his pouty little hole and actually give 100% effort.

Last edited:
Phil wasn't going to do **** with the team. No one was.

True. But I do think Phil woulda got the best outta the team last year. D'Antoni is a terrible fit for this team. Everybody but Jim Buss can see it. I'm glad Jeanie is putting him on blast. Maybe it'll wake him up... Or not. :smh:

This biggest issue I have is the whole "D'Antoni is the best fit for this team" bull**** that they fed us!

A blind man could look at the roster and tell you that simply is not the case

Last edited:

Dwight had a quote during that time saying he'd love to play for Phil and it would be great for his career or something. So yes I do think it was one of the forks in the road with Dwight. If Phil was here he would've been happier, and I think if things still didn't go well, it would've been harder for him to check out on all the levels he did.

But we knew how Dwight was, how Dwight is, and how Dwight will be. I still think we dodged a bullet. I don't want a player where the Lakers need to align the planets for him to come out of his pouty little hole and actually give 100% effort.

Only thing is, Dwight THINKS Phil would have been great for his career, but Phil may not have thought all that highly of one Dwight Howard.

Shaq drove Phil nuts. Shaq was UBER talented/dominant.

First time Phil sees Dwight in the paint, Dwight gives his best move, and Phil tells Dwight to quit messin around and really show him his best move. Then Dwight gets that look on his face like "huh?" :lol:

Phil would have loved his defense and rebounding, but on offense, Phil would not have been pleased and would have used Pau much much more, which would have done what for Dwight?

Still, we should have gone to all lengths. Kareem should have been an assistant, Phil should have been Coach, and things could have been slightly different. Phil at least provided stability in terms of trust with the franchise. He made everyone feel everything would work out. MDA certainly did not manage that.

That may come tho if/when the roster gets shaped more to his liking.

And the Lakers would have found themselves in the same position after Phil retires in 2014. He didn't even seem that invested the last time he was on the sidelines or during the negotiation process.

Dwight is a kid. And Phil is probably one of the only coaches he would listen to like a dad. At least given the way I remember Dwight talking about him.

Phil is like the only guy I can see saying things - good and bad - where Dwight would actually listen. Anyone else, he tunes them out if he doesn't like what they're saying or doing, and then in the end blames the problems on that person.

Like PMatic said, even if that did happen at Dwight was super invested because he was playing for a coach like Phil, it would only last so long until Phil had to or wanted to retire again.

I'm not that broken up about it, cause like I said it shouldn't take the Lakers giving Dwight the dream scenario for him to give 100% effort for more than four games at a time. If we avoided that BS now we'd just be swimming in it later.

Best case scenario would've been getting Dwight invested to stay beyond the year, and landing an amazing compliment to his game (ie Kevin Love), and him never getting pouty. But if I'm worried about a player half-trying for even a game because he's not interested, I seriously doubt that player would ever lead us to a title. So whatevs.

Socal NT'ers heads up:

TWC SportsNet kicks off news season, premiere of 'Backstage: Lakers'

Time Warner Cable SportsNet will televise 78 of the Lakers' 82-regular season games this coming season.

Bill MacDonald and Stu Lantz return to call the broadcast along with sideline reporter Mike Trudell.

The studio programs "AccessSportsNet: Lakers" and "#LakeShow" will be hosted by James Worthy, Robert Horry, Chris McGee, Jaime Maggio and Dave Miller. John Ireland, who does radio play-by-play for the Lakers on ESPN radio (710 AM), will provide on-the-scene commentary.

The network's behind the scenes look at the team picks up on Wednesday with the season premiere of "Backstage: Lakers."

TWC SportsNet will also feature live coverage on Saturday as the Lakers kick off training camp with media day.

The first preseason game will air live on Oct. 5 as the Lakers host the Golden State Warriors in Ontario.

The mini-series "Laker Girls" also resumes on Oct. 17.

Link:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/laker...30924,0,1648268.story?track=rss#axzz2fhLH9UMo

lol at Dantoni thinking Pau is still "the most skilled big man in the league" hahahahaha... its like people always forget how much he sucks when a new season starts. This over valuing a player kind of thinking is whats going to get this organization in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom