Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Wasn't really that expensive of a year for me at the movies.. A lot of movies where I kept saying I'm going go today.. I'm going go next week.. Next weekend

And never made it out to see them.. Or they just never came to the Bahamas (like birdman or nightcrawler).. So waiting for them to come on Netflix or hbo

IMO, 2013 was a far superior year in film. Currently my tops in 2014 are Chef, Whiplash, Wild, Nightcrawler and Boyhood. Some really good tent-poles this year though.

Some of you liked Under The Skin right? Felt like it was a waste of my time except for the obvious scenes.
I liked the oddness and weirdness of it. It was strange and strange thinking what the writer/director was trying to convey with the message of it.

I can see how even if you didn't come in with any expectations you could think it was a waste of time cuz overall it wasn't consistently entertaining.

I liked it for what it was though. Made me think a bit.

IMO, 2013 was a far superior year in film. Currently my tops in 2014 are Chef, Whiplash, Wild, Nightcrawler and Boyhood. Some really good tent-poles this year though.

I thought this year was better overall.

You have the award season stuff like the films you listed and much better blockbusters this year then 2013 imo.

A lot of great diversity and enjoyable films to watch all year in the theaters.

Last edited:
Some of you liked Under The Skin right? Felt like it was a waste of my time except for the obvious scenes.
I liked the oddness and weirdness of it. It was strange and strange thinking what the writer/director was trying to convey with the message of it.

I can see how even if you didn't come in with any expectations you could think it was a waste of time cuz overall it wasn't consistently entertaining.

I liked it for what it was though. Made me think a bit.

I agree, it was interesting but didn't have me too entertained. Glad I watched it at home instead of going to the theater. It had good, unique scenes that stay in your mind. That beach scene. The scene where she picked up the guy who looked different from everyone else had me feeling bad for him.

so at the end of apes, is the zoom in on ceasers eyes to show that they are entering the next stage of evolution?
it mirrors the opening scene where he has primal face paint

so i guess it shows how the apes have gone from the caveman stage to a more modern society

either way the opening and closing scenes are pretty dope bookends to a great movie

I don't care how good it is, I'll never watch American Sniper. Same with Lone Survivor. I can't watch these war movies man. It's too sad. Maybe I'll feel differently in 2060 but right now these movies aren't even on my time table.

Lone Survivor was emotional man, it just really showed you how real **** gets for the Marines, gives you a whole new respect for veterans.

Anybody who can even survive in that type of atmosphere has a level of mental toughness that most can't even fathom.

Yeah man I can't even imagine experiencing that. I've heard great things about the movie but the material is too heavy for me. I normally try not to watch stuff that gets me od emotional.

Last edited:
Lone Survivor just left my bones hurting.

All 4 actors made you love their characters instantly. Those 4 soldiers. The actors honored them the best way I can imagine. My wife and I were just crushed watching that film, knowing what the outcome was going to be. :frown:

Another one like that was Taking Chance, with Kevin Bacon. Zero action, just the process of how America brings a fallen soldier home to his/her family. The absolute respect humans show. Just an unbelievable little HBO film.

Stuff like these, you watch once or twice, then put them away. I agree with JRS, being that raw is too difficult in watching a film for entertainment or escape. I rather watch Lethal Weapon for the 500th time than agonize over real life pain. Fruitvale, 9/11, Schindler's, Requiem.

The best thing lone survivor did was make you actually like and care about this dudes.. Like end of watch, you felt that pain while they were going through it and at the end

This blew my mind:

My top 3 of 2014:

1. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
3. Godzilla

so at the end of apes, is the zoom in on ceasers eyes to show that they are entering the next stage of evolution?
it mirrors the opening scene where he has primal face paint

so i guess it shows how the apes have gone from the caveman stage to a more modern society

either way the opening and closing scenes are pretty dope bookends to a great movie

:smokin

welp, you pushed it back to 2016 for me. thanks. saves me 15 bucks, i'll wait for netflix.

About to watch The Interview now. This better be good
You never followed up after so I'll awesome 0/8
did Wolf of Wall Street come out this year? Otherwise, I saw 0 movies. Wasn't anything must see for me out there. Couldn't go out for Interstellar since it was too long and the type of flick I need to watch at home and take my time through it.

In my 2015-16 list to view:

Guardians of the Galaxy
That Stephen Hawking movie
Quicksilver
Birdman
Snowpiercer
Interstellar
Her might get a viewing finally in 2015.

How was Lucy? Thinking 2016-17 there.
Lucy gets pushed back to 2020.
scarlett is nicer to look at though. hate when she's in bad movies.

Her might get a viewing finally in 2015.

How was Lucy? Thinking 2016-17 there.
Watch Her before the end of 2014 m8
i would honestly but its not on netflix or amazon prime yet
I don't care how good it is, I'll never watch American Sniper. Same with Lone Survivor. I can't watch these war movies man. It's too sad. Maybe I'll feel differently in 2060 but right now these movies aren't even on my time table.
I can appreciate your feedback on this subject when it comes up. 
Yeah man I can't even imagine experiencing that. I've heard great things about the movie but the material is too heavy for me. I normally try not to watch stuff that gets me od emotional.
How do you do it? Hang out in this thread I mean

Adam Sandler Tops List of Most Overpaid Actors – Again

MOVIES | By Tony Maglio on December 23, 2014 @ 12:05 pm Follow @anthonymaglio

Adam Sandler has claimed the top slot on the Forbes list of Most Overpaid Actors — not exactly a desirable ranking to lead. And it’s even worse if you’re No. 1 for the second year in a row, a feat the “Blended” star has managed to accomplish.

The Forbes list is based on fairly simple math: It takes an actor’s earnings from his or her last three movies and compares that to their box office returns. It’s nothing more than a basic return on investment, but it speaks volumes to their positions within in the industry.

Sandler’s films earned $3.20 for every dollar he was paid. In second-place, Johnny Depp‘s movies made $4.10 for each buck he made. Ben Stiller finished third at a mere $0.70 better, with Ryan Reynolds a dime behind him. Tom Hanks rounded out the Top 5, bringing in $5.20 for every dollar he was paid.

Some in the second half of the Top 10, such as Channing Tatum and Sandra Bullock, made the list because of massive backend paydays, not so much dropping bombs.

Here is the full Top 10:

1. Adam Sandler: $3.20 for every dollar paid
2. Johnny Depp: $4.10 for every dollar paid
3. Ben Stiller: $4.80 for every dollar paid
4. Ryan Reynolds: $4.90 for every dollar paid
5. Tom Hanks: $5.20 for every dollar paid
6. Will Ferrell: $6.60 for every dollar paid
7. Channing Tatum: $6.70 for every dollar paid
8. Denzel Washington: $6.90 for every dollar paid
9. Sandra Bullock: $9 for every dollar paid
10. Ben Affleck: $9.37 for every dollar paid

I watched The Drop last night....

Hardy seemed to continue a few of his past characters with this role, and I enjoyed Matthias Schoenaerts the most in the whole film. But overall it was another 2014 film that had solid acting but led no where. An utterly pointless film

next years adam sandler movie actually looks good, but it might just be because my dude meth is in it

Back
Top Bottom