Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

JRP - 1.5
JPZ - 2.5
Dirk - 3.5
Ill - 6.5
Kool - 6.5
Shaun - 7
Prime - 8
Kev - 8.5
CP - 9
Nos - 9.5
MrO - 10
Big J - 10.5
Venom - 11
Johnny - 11

Two ties there, but I went by who had the highest slot in either randomization.

That works.  This is the draft order, we start Monday morning first thing.  JRP, take note of that, you are first, don't roll in around 3 PM. 
laugh.gif

Everyone see this, and study accordingly. 

So I'm last? I could dig that, I like being able to make back to back picks.
And btw on scoring, I took JA's point system as a general basis and then added two points to the 5 best teams' points score and came up with a list that way. Worked pretty decently.

So I'm last? I could dig that, I like being able to make back to back picks.
And btw on scoring, I took JA's point system as a general basis and then added two points to the 5 best teams' points score and came up with a list that way. Worked pretty decently.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

I should have known no one would give The English Patient any love.
The Seinfeld episode didn't help.
Agreed. Should have gone with Sack Lunch instead.

If you're trying to pick based solely on what you like and you don'tcare what anyone else likes (votes), then don't worry about how thevoting turns out.

But if you're trying to flex your movie muscles as evidenced by puttingtogether a list considered strong by the standards of your peers, thenyou have to find the balance between your preferences and what youthink will get votes.
That's fine, except we all need to define who are the "peers" that are doing the judging. There's a reason why the People's Choice Awards and the MTV Movie Awards carry very little weight compared to the Golden Globes or Academy Awards. It's because there is a knowledgeable panel of judges giving the accolades as opposed to the masses.

I don't care what place I finish, but I think we should nail the criteria down for the winners before we do the judging. That way I'll know if I should select Belly or not.

And for what it's worth, I also think that the teams should be presented to the judges without the manager's name. Taste blind tests are always better.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

I should have known no one would give The English Patient any love.
The Seinfeld episode didn't help.
Agreed. Should have gone with Sack Lunch instead.

If you're trying to pick based solely on what you like and you don'tcare what anyone else likes (votes), then don't worry about how thevoting turns out.

But if you're trying to flex your movie muscles as evidenced by puttingtogether a list considered strong by the standards of your peers, thenyou have to find the balance between your preferences and what youthink will get votes.
That's fine, except we all need to define who are the "peers" that are doing the judging. There's a reason why the People's Choice Awards and the MTV Movie Awards carry very little weight compared to the Golden Globes or Academy Awards. It's because there is a knowledgeable panel of judges giving the accolades as opposed to the masses.

I don't care what place I finish, but I think we should nail the criteria down for the winners before we do the judging. That way I'll know if I should select Belly or not.

And for what it's worth, I also think that the teams should be presented to the judges without the manager's name. Taste blind tests are always better.

koolbarbone wrote:

You know, I did think of that.  I thought about changing all our names to A, B, C, D, etc but figured, eh, they should at least look at the movies enough to form a decent opinion. 

Then i saw 5 people vote MrO winner because he had Lion King.  What are we 12? 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

For the 2000 voting, I will change the names to hide the identities of the owners, just to see how it goes. 

I dunno about you all, but it took me about 11 seconds to come up with a 250 movie list for the 90's.  I've spent like 3 hours this week, and I can't come up with a comprehensive list of 2000 movies to save my damn life. 
grin.gif
  I can find 50's and some ok top 20's, but anything over 100 is watered down with crap.  I'm damn near having to come up with my own list and I know that is going to lead me to forget a TON of movies. 
30t6p3b.gif

koolbarbone wrote:

You know, I did think of that.  I thought about changing all our names to A, B, C, D, etc but figured, eh, they should at least look at the movies enough to form a decent opinion. 

Then i saw 5 people vote MrO winner because he had Lion King.  What are we 12? 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

For the 2000 voting, I will change the names to hide the identities of the owners, just to see how it goes. 

I dunno about you all, but it took me about 11 seconds to come up with a 250 movie list for the 90's.  I've spent like 3 hours this week, and I can't come up with a comprehensive list of 2000 movies to save my damn life. 
grin.gif
  I can find 50's and some ok top 20's, but anything over 100 is watered down with crap.  I'm damn near having to come up with my own list and I know that is going to lead me to forget a TON of movies. 
30t6p3b.gif

Indies will be your friend, CP.
Also, are we doing 2000 to the present or 2000 to 2009/10 whatever the hell the proper way to end it is?

Indies will be your friend, CP.
Also, are we doing 2000 to the present or 2000 to 2009/10 whatever the hell the proper way to end it is?

Originally Posted by DubA169

what do you mean? like censorship wise? There isn't much cursing. I don't think they would cut anything out. Not a very gory movie

Deniro and Juliette Lewis are amazing. my dad swears the original is better but i've never seen it

No deniro biting

Originally Posted by DubA169

what do you mean? like censorship wise? There isn't much cursing. I don't think they would cut anything out. Not a very gory movie

Deniro and Juliette Lewis are amazing. my dad swears the original is better but i've never seen it

No deniro biting

JohnnyRedStorm wrote:

2000-2010. 

I know that technically 10 would count for the next decade, but that draft won't ever happen on here, so we'll live. 
laugh.gif

So 2000-2010 are the years that are open for this draft. 

JohnnyRedStorm wrote:

2000-2010. 

I know that technically 10 would count for the next decade, but that draft won't ever happen on here, so we'll live. 
laugh.gif

So 2000-2010 are the years that are open for this draft. 

When do we start? I know a lot of people are going to be unavailable, so Wednesday of next week?
And the draft order doesn't really bother me, After my first two picks, I could gladly post my remaining pick and no one would want any one of them. 
laugh.gif

When do we start? I know a lot of people are going to be unavailable, so Wednesday of next week?
And the draft order doesn't really bother me, After my first two picks, I could gladly post my remaining pick and no one would want any one of them. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

we start Monday morning first thing.  JRP, take note of that, you are first, don't roll in around 3 PM. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

we start Monday morning first thing.  JRP, take note of that, you are first, don't roll in around 3 PM. 
laugh.gif

Genres remain the same. 

Sort of a carry over from the 90's, so we can compare the 2 decades easier than if we switched up the genres. 

Genres remain the same. 

Sort of a carry over from the 90's, so we can compare the 2 decades easier than if we switched up the genres. 

Back
Top Bottom