Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

^ yea they screwed up not having Oliver under contract..

I didn't watch it either.. But Stewart and Colbert took things to a whole nother level.. And you had South Park coming through with its social commentary and also chapelle show, which both led into the shows.. And all the stuff happening politically especially with the far right

I totally forgot about the new Daily Show premiere, but caught some of it and he wasn't bad.

I know Schumer was offered it and said no. I also read that Amy Poehler and Chris Rock were offered it and also said no.
I googled and saw Shcumer turned it down. I think she would've been terrible at it but I don't find her funny.

Interesting with the other two though. I would've liked to see Poehler do it but she might've saw that as a rehash of her SNL fake anchor bit.

Rock would've been great and that goes without saying but the Daily Show is too small for him. No arrogance in that statement but c'mon it's Chris Rock.

I think the biggest thing that probably turned away a lot of people.. besides having to fill Stewart's huge shoes, is that's all you're doing for the foreseeable future. You don't get a break to shoot a movie or do a pilot if you feel like it. You are the host. Stewart was able to take a break and film his movie because he was the boss and earned taking that kind of hiatus. It's basically the kind of role for a guy like Noah, a relative unknown who can make the show his own and gain fame and popularity.. but for current comics who either have the freedom to do their own thing (a tv series, movie roles, standup, etc.) it's committing yourself to one thing and one thing only.

And it's also not something like The Tonight Show or The Late Show. Not to say TDS hasn't been far more influential the past decade than those two shows, but committing to an iconic network show vs taking a chance on replacing Jon Stewart is a much different scenario.
Yeah, that was what I was thinking by the end of the show. It's a perfect situation for Noah but somebody well known and it doesn't help them as much as it helps the show. I just wonder if the position will allow him to rise to a higher level of prominence he might not have gotten just doing stand-up and the eventual comedy movie and/or sit-com.

It's sort of like the difference between actors known for being on tv and that bounce around from tv shows every few seasons or so and actors who exclusively do movies for the most part and you barely remember their tv acting career if they had one. So like if it was announced Ian McKellen or Michael Caine became the next Dr. Who. That'd be seen as a step down even this late in their careers as opposed to the reverse when a tv actor makes it to the movies and it sticks.

^ yea they screwed up not having Oliver under contract..
I don't think any of those "reporters" are under contract :lol: Plus I don't think a contract at that position could have them just say you're going to be the new host now.

Oliver was given a chance to host during Stewart's hiatus and I feel it was solely cuz of that he got the HBO offer. Not like they headhunted dude.

Glad schumer turned it down. The media would've lied like crazy and kissed her nasty butt saying how great and funny she is on a weekly basis.

It's funny. I never watched TDS or Colbert, but I started watching Last Week Tonight, and man I'm hooked. I think John Oliver is awesome. :lol:

Good trailer that represents the film well. Now I'm really hyped for it.

I was already in but DiCaprio getting revenge on Hardy in the cold wilderness is a must see.

Good trailer that represents the film well. Now I'm really hyped for it.

I was already in but DiCaprio getting revenge on Hardy in the cold wilderness is a must see.

THIS! That first trailer, I was kinda meh, but this one lays out what I can expect really well. Based on the visuals from this preview alone, it looks like this film will win oscars for cinematography, costume design, film editing, makeup etc. I could care less about the actors getting oscars. We already know those boys can act, don't need an award to prove it

THIS! That first trailer, I was kinda meh, but this one lays out what I can expect really well. Based on the visuals from this preview alone, it looks like this film will win oscars for cinematography, costume design, film editing, makeup etc. I could care less about the actors getting oscars. We already know those boys can act, don't need an award to prove it

Speak for yourself I would (and I'm sure he would as well) love to see Leo win Best Actor.

He has the best resume of his generation besides DDL yet doesn't have 1.

26f2ec6547_Have-you-ever-wanted-to-see-Leo-win-an-Oscar--Now-you-can-.gif

Elysium is playing on fx. Only saw this movie once but I liked it. Thought the villain was an absolute maniac and looked like a savage too.

The droids are basically the same ones used in Chappie.

Last edited:
Whoa, didn't know there was going to be a Pitch Perfect 3. Not sure how I feel about that since 2 was kinda of ehh... I enjoyed their opponents more, TBH.

Any of you check out Doll and Em on HBO? Saw a commercial and it seemed funny, plus I have a weird thing for Emily Mortimer. Anyone see it?

Any of you check out Doll and Em on HBO? Saw a commercial and it seemed funny, plus I have a weird thing for Emily Mortimer. Anyone see it?
Saw one episode. It wasn't funny per se, but it was interesting enough for me to want to watch another.

I get HBO was just taking advantage of the situation.. But once they saw him doing well or they were prepared to let him step in that summer they should have signed him to something so they would have a familiar face for when the main two left

I don't think they knew John was leaving but I think they knew Colbert was leaving or had inclinations

I thought both Signs and the Village were ok. Just felt like he was trying too hard for the twist ending, but otherwise fine. After that, not so much.

And M. Night does that the George Lucas-like ability to make even good actors act like robots.

I agree. Signs and the Village were still decent flicks. They still LOOKED like professional quality films. The acting was good, the cinematography was on point. Lighting, shot technique, all that jazz was great. But like you said the scripts were pretty bad. Not the directors fault. 99% of his films after that just look so bad. Like the diffference between Mortal Kombat (the movie) 1 and 2 bad.

Nah I have to blame the director seeing as he's the writer as well.

:wow:

just noticed that Brett Ratner is involved with this... Won't deter me from seeing this

I get HBO was just taking advantage of the situation.. But once they saw him doing well or they were prepared to let him step in that summer they should have signed him to something so they would have a familiar face for when the main two left

I don't think they knew John was leaving but I think they knew Colbert was leaving or had inclinations
At that time it wasn't like they knew John was leaving so yeah ya right there. Oliver doing a good job probably didn't compel to do anything since outside of a few gimmicks he managed to make thing by himself he was doing all the stuff John would've done. Nothing new or groundbreaking.

From what I've read in how it went down Larry Wilmore was already in the works to take over for Stephen.

Plus look at his format on HBO. Oliver has something that works to his strengths and isn't like the rest of these types of shows. Plus it's less intense since he does it weekly and not 4 nights a week. Nowhere near the grind he probably experienced during that summer.

I think Oliver chose to leave overall on top of CC not really having the chance to lock him down.

Back
Top Bottom