Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

More at IMDbPro »
[h1]Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind(2004)[/h1]
r.png
  108 min  -  Drama | Romance | Sci-Fi  -  19 March 2004(USA)
Want a cookie?

[h1]Ghost Busters(1984)[/h1]
tv_pg.png
  105 min  -  Adventure | Fantasy | Mystery  -  8 June 1984(USA)

I don't see science fiction anywhere on there, nor horror, clearly two genres it'd fit into.

The only reason it says science fiction is because there are themes of it in there. Like Zombieland with horror. Eternal Sunshine is a drama. And at that, a pretentious drama. I didn't like it at all. Maybe if it were under drama I could give it a few more points, but I wasn't a fan of the film. If you hadn't guessed, I'm not a fan of Kaufman's work. You can't force someone to like a movie just because everyone else does. I just didn't like the movie.

Science fiction is BROAD, JA. It doesn't have to be spaceships and aliens to be considered sci-fi (and I'm probably the biggest sci-fi/fantasy nerd on this forum).

edit: And you just put Ghostbusters into HORROR?
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif

Science fiction is BROAD, JA. It doesn't have to be spaceships and aliens to be considered sci-fi (and I'm probably the biggest sci-fi/fantasy nerd on this forum).

edit: And you just put Ghostbusters into HORROR?
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

It should not be the judge's place to determine how good a film is relative to how well it fits into its genre. If it makes it into a genre category it should be in as a full member, not penalized for it.
So Inception can be in horror and Cast Away can be in Comedy and it's alright?

I'm sorry, I just don't see Eternal Sunshine as a Science Fiction film.
But who cares if you dont see it? No offense but the 13 other people in this draft had no problem classifying it as sci-fi, there was not one complaint from any of the participants. Its obvious the people in the draft have credibility, so their opinion obviously means something. If all 14 of us see the movies as acceptable to their listed genres, then what right does a random judge have to complain about it? I feel like your supposed to be picking the person with the strongest group of movies...and you weren't doing that, instead you were just grading the movies individually based on your liking of them.
You didn't take into account anything relevant to the draft. For example, the rounds movies were chosen in...is that not important to the value of the movie as well as the value of someones entire list? 

Im just sayin...there should be more into judging criteria then just GENRE's and how well the movies fit into them.

If you were just going to judge all the movies individually, and not judge our lists as wholes...then what was the point of us drafting? We could of just put all 140 movies in a list and asked you to rate them based on how much you like them...

Regardless of the genre, main fact is I didn't like the film.
laugh.gif

I questioned a lot of the genre selections, it's why I balked at Iron Man and 28 Days Later being in Science Fiction, but I enjoyed both a whole hell of a lot more than Eternal Sunshine.

Sorry I don't hold it to the same light that you guys do.

laugh.gif

I questioned a lot of the genre selections, it's why I balked at Iron Man and 28 Days Later being in Science Fiction, but I enjoyed both a whole hell of a lot more than Eternal Sunshine.

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

It should not be the judge's place to determine how good a film is relative to how well it fits into its genre. If it makes it into a genre category it should be in as a full member, not penalized for it.
So Inception can be in horror and Cast Away can be in Comedy and it's alright?

I'm sorry, I just don't see Eternal Sunshine as a Science Fiction film.
But who cares if you dont see it? No offense but the 13 other people in this draft had no problem classifying it as sci-fi, there was not one complaint from any of the participants. Its obvious the people in the draft have credibility, so their opinion obviously means something. If all 14 of us see the movies as acceptable to their listed genres, then what right does a random judge have to complain about it? I feel like your supposed to be picking the person with the strongest group of movies...and you weren't doing that, instead you were just grading the movies individually based on your liking of them.
You didn't take into account anything relevant to the draft. For example, the rounds movies were chosen in...is that not important to the value of the movie as well as the value of someones entire list? 

Im just sayin...there should be more into judging criteria then just GENRE's and how well the movies fit into them.

If you were just going to judge all the movies individually, and not judge our lists as wholes...then what was the point of us drafting? We could of just put all 140 movies in a list and asked you to rate them based on how much you like them...

Originally Posted by JPZx

Ghostbusters is a horror movie?
Yeah.

A light-hearted horror movie.

Look, I was asked to judged. So I judged. CP said, however I want to rank them, go ahead. So I did.

I'm not going to sit here and banter about certain biases toward certain films.

What I did, is I sat down, I took each and every film, I wrote them out, I ranked them on how much I enjoyed the film. If I hadn't watched it, I read up on it a bit, and placed it where I thought I would rank it if I had seen it.

Is that the best way to do it? Is that the way I'm telling others to do it? Nope, it's just the way I chose to.

I didn't give Eternal Sunshine 1 point I didn't think it was science fiction. I gave it a 1 because I hated the film. Sorry, say I'm stupid, say I'm ignorant, say I don't get it, that's fine, but you can't force someone to like a film.

Originally Posted by JPZx

Ghostbusters is a horror movie?
Yeah.

A light-hearted horror movie.

Look, I was asked to judged. So I judged. CP said, however I want to rank them, go ahead. So I did.

I'm not going to sit here and banter about certain biases toward certain films.

What I did, is I sat down, I took each and every film, I wrote them out, I ranked them on how much I enjoyed the film. If I hadn't watched it, I read up on it a bit, and placed it where I thought I would rank it if I had seen it.

Is that the best way to do it? Is that the way I'm telling others to do it? Nope, it's just the way I chose to.

I didn't give Eternal Sunshine 1 point I didn't think it was science fiction. I gave it a 1 because I hated the film. Sorry, say I'm stupid, say I'm ignorant, say I don't get it, that's fine, but you can't force someone to like a film.

[h2][/h2]
[h2]Critical reception[/h2]
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was met withoverwhelmingly universal acclaim, and Winslet's performance wasgenerally praised. Many critics cited the film as the "best movie ofthe decade". The film has a 93% certified fresh rating on the Rotten Tomatoes website based on 216 reviews. The consensus is that the film is "a twisty, trippy, yet moving take on love, Kaufman-style."[sup][7][/sup]

Roger Ebert commented, "Despite jumping through the deliberately disorienting hoops of its story, Eternal Sunshine has an emotional center, and that's what makes it work."[sup][8][/sup] Ebert later included the film in his "Great Movies" series.[sup][9][/sup]

Time Outsummed up their review by saying, "the formidable Gondry/Kaufman/Carreyaxis works marvel after marvel in expressing the bewildering beauty andexistential horror of being trapped inside one's own addled mind, andin allegorising the self-preserving amnesia of a broken but hopefulheart."[sup][10][/sup]

In 2006, in issue 201 of Empire magazine, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was voted #83 in their 201 Greatest Movies of All Time poll as voted for by readers. That same year, Winslet's performance as Clementine was included in Premiere magazine's 100 Greatest Performances of All Time at #81. Claudia Puig, reviewer in USA Todaysaid about her performance that "Winslet is wonderful as a free spiritwhose hair color changes along with her moods. She hasn't had such ameaty role in a while, and she plays it just right."[sup][11][/sup]

Carol Vernallis points out that Gondry's experience in directing music videos contributed in the film's mise-en-sceneand sound design. Vernallis describes some threads of the visual, auraland musical motifs through out the film, and how some motifs can workin counterpoint.[sup][12][/sup]

In November 2009, Time Out New York ranked the film as the third-best of the decade:
In the past, both director Michel Gondry’s kindergarten arts-and-crafts aesthetic and Charlie Kaufman’s Möbius-striptease scripts have come off as insufferably twee and gimmicky. So why does this existential meta-rom-comalways leave us teary-eyed and genuinely moved?...[T]he duo finallyfinds the right combination of high-concept and humanity here, takingthe what-if idea of a company that lobotomizes the lovelorn intoterritory that’s funny, painful, poetic and unsettlingly weird.[sup][13][/sup]

Entertainment Weeklyput it on its end-of-the-decade, "best-of" list, saying, "Only thebizarre and byzantine brain of Charlie Kaufman could turn this 2004story about erasing all memories of love into one of the most romanticmovies of the decade."[sup][14][/sup]Slant Magazine placed the film at number 87 on their list of the best films of the 2000s.[sup][15][/sup]

In a January issue of The Onion, the comic newspaper's AV Club rated Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind as the number one film of the 2000s, beating out the likes of Christopher Nolan's Memento and the Coen Brothers' No Country for Old Men.The article states, "It’s the rare film that shows us who we are nowand who we’re likely, for better or worse, forever to be." [sup][16][/sup]

It has been calculated to be the tied-for-second most critically acclaimed film of the 2000s (behind There Will Be Blood and tied with the three Lord of the Rings films) by virtue of its number of appearances on prominent 'films of the decade' lists.[sup][17][/sup]

[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_Sunshine_of_the_Spotless_Mind#cite_note-16[/sup]

roll.gif

I get subjectivity, but at a certain point if you are going to be a judge you can't do it from a vacuum.

[h2][/h2]
[h2]Critical reception[/h2]
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was met withoverwhelmingly universal acclaim, and Winslet's performance wasgenerally praised. Many critics cited the film as the "best movie ofthe decade". The film has a 93% certified fresh rating on the Rotten Tomatoes website based on 216 reviews. The consensus is that the film is "a twisty, trippy, yet moving take on love, Kaufman-style."[sup][7][/sup]

Roger Ebert commented, "Despite jumping through the deliberately disorienting hoops of its story, Eternal Sunshine has an emotional center, and that's what makes it work."[sup][8][/sup] Ebert later included the film in his "Great Movies" series.[sup][9][/sup]

Time Outsummed up their review by saying, "the formidable Gondry/Kaufman/Carreyaxis works marvel after marvel in expressing the bewildering beauty andexistential horror of being trapped inside one's own addled mind, andin allegorising the self-preserving amnesia of a broken but hopefulheart."[sup][10][/sup]

In 2006, in issue 201 of Empire magazine, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was voted #83 in their 201 Greatest Movies of All Time poll as voted for by readers. That same year, Winslet's performance as Clementine was included in Premiere magazine's 100 Greatest Performances of All Time at #81. Claudia Puig, reviewer in USA Todaysaid about her performance that "Winslet is wonderful as a free spiritwhose hair color changes along with her moods. She hasn't had such ameaty role in a while, and she plays it just right."[sup][11][/sup]

Carol Vernallis points out that Gondry's experience in directing music videos contributed in the film's mise-en-sceneand sound design. Vernallis describes some threads of the visual, auraland musical motifs through out the film, and how some motifs can workin counterpoint.[sup][12][/sup]

In November 2009, Time Out New York ranked the film as the third-best of the decade:
In the past, both director Michel Gondry’s kindergarten arts-and-crafts aesthetic and Charlie Kaufman’s Möbius-striptease scripts have come off as insufferably twee and gimmicky. So why does this existential meta-rom-comalways leave us teary-eyed and genuinely moved?...[T]he duo finallyfinds the right combination of high-concept and humanity here, takingthe what-if idea of a company that lobotomizes the lovelorn intoterritory that’s funny, painful, poetic and unsettlingly weird.[sup][13][/sup]

Entertainment Weeklyput it on its end-of-the-decade, "best-of" list, saying, "Only thebizarre and byzantine brain of Charlie Kaufman could turn this 2004story about erasing all memories of love into one of the most romanticmovies of the decade."[sup][14][/sup]Slant Magazine placed the film at number 87 on their list of the best films of the 2000s.[sup][15][/sup]

In a January issue of The Onion, the comic newspaper's AV Club rated Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind as the number one film of the 2000s, beating out the likes of Christopher Nolan's Memento and the Coen Brothers' No Country for Old Men.The article states, "It’s the rare film that shows us who we are nowand who we’re likely, for better or worse, forever to be." [sup][16][/sup]

It has been calculated to be the tied-for-second most critically acclaimed film of the 2000s (behind There Will Be Blood and tied with the three Lord of the Rings films) by virtue of its number of appearances on prominent 'films of the decade' lists.[sup][17][/sup]

[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_Sunshine_of_the_Spotless_Mind#cite_note-16[/sup]

roll.gif

I get subjectivity, but at a certain point if you are going to be a judge you can't do it from a vacuum.

laugh.gif

It doesn't matter if you liked the movie or not either, you're supposed to be voting on the best overall movies and Eternal Sunshine is one of the best overall movies in that category.

laugh.gif

It doesn't matter if you liked the movie or not either, you're supposed to be voting on the best overall movies and Eternal Sunshine is one of the best overall movies in that category.

Sorry Kool, I'll try to model my life more like Roger Ebert, and everyone else, and succumb to pressure from everyone else and enjoy the pretentious crap when I watch it again.

If I don't enjoy a movie, why should I force myself to rate it well?

Sorry Kool, I'll try to model my life more like Roger Ebert, and everyone else, and succumb to pressure from everyone else and enjoy the pretentious crap when I watch it again.

If I don't enjoy a movie, why should I force myself to rate it well?

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

laugh.gif

I asked CP how I should judge, and I asked if I could vote based on how I liked the film, he said however.

If you're going to make a list and say what's the best overall movie, why not just go to various movie databases and add up the star ratings from them than ask judges to be forced to putting a movie where they don't want to put it? If I hated a movie, and I thought it was pretentious piece of crap, why should I give it bonus points because everyone else likes it?
laugh.gif

Next time, I won't vote, no biggie.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom