Old school member needing help: New ball shoes vs. old school

Alright, so i'm an old school niketalk member(i think i joined within a month of opening) and have been out of the game for 7 years. i sold my whole collection and took up a different hobby but lately have been playing a few times a week. I need new shoes, and am kinda lost
I used to wear:

Flightposite 1's(That's what i've been using now but they're almost worn out)

Most of the alpha project paytons, vis zooms

Used to product test most of the uptempos with like max air rear, zoom forefoot

Jordans(11-17s)

I mostly just love a ton of the alpha project shoes, esp with zoom. So, i'm old and i've broken my right ankle multiple times because of downhill mountain biking and it's just been hurting. It used to not matter with ankle support but now it kinda does, but i don't want to have to wear a super heavy shoe. The lebrons look like they play heavy, but like the kobes look too light.  

What are everyone wearing these days? I'm 6'3, 200, and mostly play shooting guard on the team i'm on now.  Should i just buy more flightposites or is there a better alternative? Any help would be awesome! 

Alright, so i'm an old school niketalk member(i think i joined within a month of opening) and have been out of the game for 7 years. i sold my whole collection and took up a different hobby but lately have been playing a few times a week. I need new shoes, and am kinda lost
I used to wear:

Jordans(11-17s)

I mostly just love a ton of the alpha project shoes, esp with zoom. So, i'm old and i've broken my right ankle multiple times because of downhill mountain biking and it's just been hurting. It used to not matter with ankle support but now it kinda does, but i don't want to have to wear a super heavy shoe. The lebrons look like they play heavy, but like the kobes look too light.  

What are everyone wearing these days? I'm 6'3, 200, and mostly play shooting guard on the team i'm on now.  Should i just buy more flightposites or is there a better alternative? Any help would be awesome! 

The lebrons are definitely lighter then your flightposites, but if you want zoom look at the Lebron 7 PS and and the KD 3 - people say the Hyperdunk 2010 is unstable, but i love them at the moment for ball.

The lebrons are definitely lighter then your flightposites, but if you want zoom look at the Lebron 7 PS and and the KD 3 - people say the Hyperdunk 2010 is unstable, but i love them at the moment for ball.

I always hear good reviews about the KD line but the best thing to do is just try on different sneaks to see what u like best. The products of today aren't like the products of yesteryear as far as quality,durability, and design

I always hear good reviews about the KD line but the best thing to do is just try on different sneaks to see what u like best. The products of today aren't like the products of yesteryear as far as quality,durability, and design

That's a good call on the kd line, they look pretty decent actually...esp for a cheaper shoe. Yeah, i was looking at some of the new shoes, do the soles wear out quicker? it seems to me that they made the herringbone or whatever design on the sole softer allowing for more traction i'm assuming.

That's a good call on the kd line, they look pretty decent actually...esp for a cheaper shoe. Yeah, i was looking at some of the new shoes, do the soles wear out quicker? it seems to me that they made the herringbone or whatever design on the sole softer allowing for more traction i'm assuming.

from what you posted the KD2 is definitely something you should try... i love those.

real comfortable, and it has a solid ankle cut... Stiff, but not to the point where it'll bother you.

from what you posted the KD2 is definitely something you should try... i love those.

real comfortable, and it has a solid ankle cut... Stiff, but not to the point where it'll bother you.

i think the nike zoom bb is the best bball shoe ever made but those are hard to come by right now. right now im rotating between soldier 3s, lebron 7 ps, and kobe v's. adidas also makes high quality shoes as well. you can find ts supernaturals for cheap.

i think the nike zoom bb is the best bball shoe ever made but those are hard to come by right now. right now im rotating between soldier 3s, lebron 7 ps, and kobe v's. adidas also makes high quality shoes as well. you can find ts supernaturals for cheap.

Give the Jordan Pro Strongs that Vin Baker used to wear a try...they have full zoom (which I also love), a mid to higher cut for support and are surprising lightweight for their clunky look. Those that like the Lebron Soldier 3's would like this shoe I think. If you can get your hands on a pair of LBJ II's those are my all time favorite hooping shoe. You can find them for sell in the forums usually. They have awesome zoom, I believe double stacked in the heel and great ankle support. A little heavy, but very very responsive due to zoom and very good traction.

Give the Jordan Pro Strongs that Vin Baker used to wear a try...they have full zoom (which I also love), a mid to higher cut for support and are surprising lightweight for their clunky look. Those that like the Lebron Soldier 3's would like this shoe I think. If you can get your hands on a pair of LBJ II's those are my all time favorite hooping shoe. You can find them for sell in the forums usually. They have awesome zoom, I believe double stacked in the heel and great ankle support. A little heavy, but very very responsive due to zoom and very good traction.

Originally Posted by prattn33

I had a pair of pro strongs back in the day and the sole just ripped off it after a few weeks. I didn't remember them being that amazing but maybe they've changed a bit. how's the quality on the new shoes vs the older ones? i was looking at adidas(i'm not as passionate about only wearing nikes as i used to be), and the rose's seem pretty decent. anyone have an opinion on those?

Originally Posted by prattn33

I had a pair of pro strongs back in the day and the sole just ripped off it after a few weeks. I didn't remember them being that amazing but maybe they've changed a bit. how's the quality on the new shoes vs the older ones? i was looking at adidas(i'm not as passionate about only wearing nikes as i used to be), and the rose's seem pretty decent. anyone have an opinion on those?

Originally Posted by Nizate

I used to wear:

Jordans(11-17s)

KOBE V!
and there will be no turning back
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Nizate

I used to wear:

Jordans(11-17s)

KOBE V!
and there will be no turning back
wink.gif

I am old school too and love zoom and wore alot of alpha project stuff tooToday's pro strongs are way better than the originals not nearly as stiff and clunky as the originals and the zoom is better than the og. Bb1s Are one of the best zoom based ball shoes of all time if u can find them. U may want to Also stay with flighposites or foams. I just bought a pair of flightposite 2 retros off eBay just to replace the zoom insoles on my flightposite 1 tbs from back in the day. Jordan 2010 might be too low with your ankle injuries don't know how much selection is near u but u should try on as much as u can. Because the sizing is not quite the same as it used to be

I am old school too and love zoom and wore alot of alpha project stuff tooToday's pro strongs are way better than the originals not nearly as stiff and clunky as the originals and the zoom is better than the og. Bb1s Are one of the best zoom based ball shoes of all time if u can find them. U may want to Also stay with flighposites or foams. I just bought a pair of flightposite 2 retros off eBay just to replace the zoom insoles on my flightposite 1 tbs from back in the day. Jordan 2010 might be too low with your ankle injuries don't know how much selection is near u but u should try on as much as u can. Because the sizing is not quite the same as it used to be

U may also want to look into some of the earlier lebrons that had full length zoom double stacked inthe heel. Jordan xx3. Are good too

U may also want to look into some of the earlier lebrons that had full length zoom double stacked inthe heel. Jordan xx3. Are good too

Soldier IIIs are the best basketball shoe I've ever played in aside from the Ultraflight. Zoom in the forefoot and heel and has a secure fit. You can find them around for cheap at Nordstrom Racks and on eBay. 
Me personally I'm not a fan of the KD line, I want Zoom in my heels too. 

The Kobe V is a great shoe too, but since you had serious ankle problems I wouldn't suggest playing in them unless you're wearing braces too. But they do feel good and once broken in they feel like Zoom Air socks.

How is dude gonna suggest playing in the Kobe VIs when they haven't been released yet? 
laugh.gif

Soldier IIIs are the best basketball shoe I've ever played in aside from the Ultraflight. Zoom in the forefoot and heel and has a secure fit. You can find them around for cheap at Nordstrom Racks and on eBay. 
Me personally I'm not a fan of the KD line, I want Zoom in my heels too. 

The Kobe V is a great shoe too, but since you had serious ankle problems I wouldn't suggest playing in them unless you're wearing braces too. But they do feel good and once broken in they feel like Zoom Air socks.

How is dude gonna suggest playing in the Kobe VIs when they haven't been released yet? 
laugh.gif

I've been playing in the KD2s for the past year or so, and they're great.  I'm 6'2" 215, and they were fine.  The Kobe V's were too narrow for me, but they might be worth a look as well.

Back
Top Bottom