operations management !

Wassup NT,

I've been a logistics operator at coca cola for 3 yrs (palletizing product for $15 a hour ) ! Now I just got a job at one of the biggest e commerce companies in the world as an operations manager (70k yr).

I was just using coke as a part time job to complete college and once I graduated I got the job offer and now I feel like I have to stick with logistics bc I have 3 yrs experience and now I'll have operations management experience!

I'm really passionate about technology and business , but not so passionate about logistics and supply chain ! Maybe because I've been on the entry level busting my tail.

What can I potentially do with a career in logistics or operations management?

Is there any hope for me attaining a managerial level IT job ? Is operations a good look ?

Operations is a definitely a good look. Some of the top paid people at my company are Sales and Operations. IT pays well too but not as good as sales and ops management. Good luck fam starting your career. I'm 10+ years into my career so it's tough to switch. If I had to do it all again, I would have probably got into operations.

I just actually took a business strategy course my senior yr in college and it's pretty interesting ! What's the requirements to get a job there and general salary?

Dude you are on the right path. You can absolutely make the move to IT. Get some more experience in Supply Chain and then make a mover over. Your background will help you , as the IT folks will want people with user level experience and keen understanding of the actual business.

That said, you can't go wrong with Supply Chain and can certainly bank if you climb the ladder: Ops Manager -> GM of a DC -> Director of Dist/Ops -> VP Supply Chain

Stop putting a space between your last word and question marks and exclamation points! Okay?

Get your belts! White belt, black belt, and green belt certs. It's technically six sigma training, which you probably did in school, but companies have some form or iteration of six sigma. It will have you look at operations, especially management/managing a bit different. Its almost like a game and depending on your leadership skills and the group that you manage it could be a very healthy and a cost savings experience for the company which in-turn could help you out.

Edit: Oh yeah forgot to mention it's great for improving old processes, improving safety etc. etc. those are usually byproducts of some of the exercises you'll learn in the training.

Last edited:
I just actually took a business strategy course my senior yr in college and it's pretty interesting ! What's the requirements to get a job there and general salary?
Yeah, what I do is definitely interesting. But if you're looking for top earning potential, my line of work pays well but isn't the top salary at the company. To get the Corporate Finance/Strategy job, you'll likely need an MBA and an undergraduate degree in Finance. 

Yeah, what I do is definitely interesting. But if you're looking for top earning potential, my line of work pays well but isn't the top salary at the company. To get the Corporate Finance/Strategy job, you'll likely need an MBA and an undergraduate degree in Finance. 

What industry are u in? What is your background if u don't mind me asking? Im in scm rn and will be applying to bschool this upcoming fall. I was always interested in Corp strategy.

I am doing supply chain and hope to get into the medical field with it, more so making efficient chains and inventory of the medicence that hospitals hold.

fancy *** names for regular *** jobs to fool us into thinking we are doing something special

entrepreneur > any type of work as an employee regardless of the money

don't invest your entire life trying to move up an imaginary chain....create your own CHAIN

damn, that was kinda messed up but i agree

also the people i know who are entrepreneurs live the best

that/this is my next phase/plan for myself

im not gonna discredit OP at all though, some ppl like school and all that good for him!

what do you do? copped copped

Last edited:
Help me get a logistics/SCM job then?

Thats the field I want to major in, in business school.

fancy *** names for regular *** jobs to fool us into thinking we are doing something special

don't invest your entire life trying to move up an imaginary chain....create your own CHAIN
LOL at "Regardless of the money". 

Arent u in private wealth management??
Yeah. Thats what I thought you meant, cause thats just weird Acronym to say without knowing that. Just didnt remember ever saying that on here before 
laugh.gif

LOL at "Regardless of the money". 
Sounds like one of those get rich quick seminars 
laugh.gif

Why must people who are "entrepreneurs" on here always talk down on those who go the other route. It's really it that serious. Not everyone has the mettle to do it, and less we bring up all the failure rates for start ups.

Just relax man.

Before the finger pointing starts my own parents left the 9-5 life to form start ups and didn't fail, and in my line of work I deal with people who are the owners of successful start ups every single day. I've seen it from up close for almost two decades and I have nothing but admiration for those who put their chips on the table like that, but let's not totally write off the corporate ladder route.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom