Opinion on Silicia Packs, Mine-Bad for Your Shoes

The stories of crumbling older retros and ogs never stop multipling. It is inevitable. Nontheless,
I feel that shoe care plays its part. Darwin or somebody once said "Genetics loads the gun,
enviornment pulls the trigger." (if you follow)

I think silicia packs or whatever they are called or how they are spelled - are straight up bad for your shoes
longevity. Years back on NikeTalk - these drying agent packets were at the top of the "how to take care
of your sneakers" list along with vacuum sealing, temp. control, wearing them, etc. (and you do have to
wear them, at least minimally with care 10-20 times spread out - but that is another topic.)

Constantly these crumling stories, and how the effect is caused, in part, to the drying out of the glue, foam,
plastic, etc. I never thought sucking the moisture out of your shoes was good for them. The 5, 6, 11
are all gonna yellow, don't feal bad, it is also inevitable. It is not worth the risk of damaging the shoe.

I don't know if this practice even remains.

The stories of crumbling older retros and ogs never stop multipling. It is inevitable. Nontheless,
I feel that shoe care plays its part. Darwin or somebody once said "Genetics loads the gun,
enviornment pulls the trigger." (if you follow)

I think silicia packs or whatever they are called or how they are spelled - are straight up bad for your shoes
longevity. Years back on NikeTalk - these drying agent packets were at the top of the "how to take care
of your sneakers" list along with vacuum sealing, temp. control, wearing them, etc. (and you do have to
wear them, at least minimally with care 10-20 times spread out - but that is another topic.)

Constantly these crumling stories, and how the effect is caused, in part, to the drying out of the glue, foam,
plastic, etc. I never thought sucking the moisture out of your shoes was good for them. The 5, 6, 11
are all gonna yellow, don't feal bad, it is also inevitable. It is not worth the risk of damaging the shoe.

I don't know if this practice even remains.

i totally agree. u took the thoughts right out of my head dude. thas why i dunt mess with none of that stuff and i wear my kicks from time to time. and u cantcry over the yellowing. its gonna happen. that sealin ina air tight bag stuff is def no good. thats how the midsoles crack from being dried up. unfortunatelyalot of ppl still practice these methods. im not one of them tho.

i totally agree. u took the thoughts right out of my head dude. thas why i dunt mess with none of that stuff and i wear my kicks from time to time. and u cantcry over the yellowing. its gonna happen. that sealin ina air tight bag stuff is def no good. thats how the midsoles crack from being dried up. unfortunatelyalot of ppl still practice these methods. im not one of them tho.

Yup, using silica packets and sealing your kicks in a air tight back is not a good idea. I need to start wearing my DS kicks around the house at least so Idon't become part of the shoe crumbling club.

Yup, using silica packets and sealing your kicks in a air tight back is not a good idea. I need to start wearing my DS kicks around the house at least so Idon't become part of the shoe crumbling club.

lol damn atleast my fav shoes the 1 and XX3 will never crumble or yellow on me but the rest have to be worn repeastly though out. Why would anyone do that toshoes anyway? Why not just wear what you payed 1-5 hundred and up for

lol damn atleast my fav shoes the 1 and XX3 will never crumble or yellow on me but the rest have to be worn repeastly though out. Why would anyone do that toshoes anyway? Why not just wear what you payed 1-5 hundred and up for

Yeah they need to be compressed at least a little bit to help avoid crumbling and the soles coming unglued. But silica dry rots your shoes over time

Yeah they need to be compressed at least a little bit to help avoid crumbling and the soles coming unglued. But silica dry rots your shoes over time

interesting info, i was thinking about putting silica packing in my shoe box's because im planning on storing them while im deployed. guess not anymore

interesting info, i was thinking about putting silica packing in my shoe box's because im planning on storing them while im deployed. guess not anymore

even if you choose to not wear them, or almost never wear them - it still applies
don't accelerate the process-i can all but guarantee the correlation

even if one keeps them ds, in some cases, in the back of your head, you would like
to have the option to wear them down the line, though i am really stressing the
subject of the post

even if you choose to not wear them, or almost never wear them - it still applies
don't accelerate the process-i can all but guarantee the correlation

even if one keeps them ds, in some cases, in the back of your head, you would like
to have the option to wear them down the line, though i am really stressing the
subject of the post

this is always a hot topic....

i wish sum1 would do a type of science experiment,

so we could come to a type of standard fact.

this is always a hot topic....

i wish sum1 would do a type of science experiment,

so we could come to a type of standard fact.

eek.gif
very interesting. shoe care is really key. we need the answers.

not being a mod, but the care/maintenance thread talks about this. it's good to bring it up once in a while to spread the knowledge.....I still see peoplesealing their shoes in ziplock bags stuffed with silica. I simply put a small silica pack (maybe two for clear soles) under the paper in the box and change itevery couple of months, which is alright since I wear my shoes relatively regularly. As far as opinion goes....I don't think this is a matter of opinion.shoes are made of pliable material...they need to breath and if you seal them away or bombard them with silica packs, thus sucking the mositure/air from theshoes, they will dry up. Silica isn't bad when used in moderation...just wear your kicks.

not being a mod, but the care/maintenance thread talks about this. it's good to bring it up once in a while to spread the knowledge.....I still see peoplesealing their shoes in ziplock bags stuffed with silica. I simply put a small silica pack (maybe two for clear soles) under the paper in the box and change itevery couple of months, which is alright since I wear my shoes relatively regularly. As far as opinion goes....I don't think this is a matter of opinion.shoes are made of pliable material...they need to breath and if you seal them away or bombard them with silica packs, thus sucking the mositure/air from theshoes, they will dry up. Silica isn't bad when used in moderation...just wear your kicks.

i do use silica packs for my shoes but not all of them. i only put 1 pack in the box but i do wear my shoes at least every month or two. i do agree that youshould never put the shoes in plastic bags and then leave the silica packs inside of the bag. that's just plain stupid. there's always going to be somesort of arguement about this topic. so it's really up to the individuals whether they want to store their shoes this way or not. but i think you alwaysneed to factor in the conditions of the area you live in on how you store everything.

Back
Top Bottom