"OTHER BRAND" - RUNNING shoe thread - asics, saucony, new balance, hoka one one, adidas, reebok, brooks, altra, skechers, etc...

I Was probably only a handful of people that enjoyed the original magic speed lol I’ve skipped the rest but intrigued by the v4… do we know when to expect them?

I Was probably only a handful of people that enjoyed the original magic speed lol I’ve skipped the rest but intrigued by the v4… do we know when to expect them?

I had the grey pair with the speckled outsole. I always like running in them. But like you I havent had any other models.

IMG_0483.jpeg

FWIW, I went TTS in the Rebel v4 and the length is good—a half-size down felt too close in front for a daily trainer—but the volume of the upper is a bit more than I’d prefer. The lockdown is good with no heel slippage. The tong is questionably short and doesn’t add to the overall quality of the shoe; it reminds me of cheap Nike running insoles. The ride is fun and sort of feels similar to the Superblast, albeit softer and more nimble. Perhaps it’s the wide platform that gives me Superblast vibes. But I’m happy to have found my daily trainer for 2024.

FWIW, I went TTS in the Rebel v4 and the length is good—a half-size down felt too close in front for a daily trainer—but the volume of the upper is a bit more than I’d prefer. The lockdown is good with no heel slippage. The tong is questionably short and doesn’t add to the overall quality of the shoe; it reminds me of cheap Nike running insoles. The ride is fun and sort of feels similar to the Superblast, albeit softer and more nimble. Perhaps it’s the wide platform that gives me Superblast vibes. But I’m happy to have found my daily trainer for 2024.

I’m really intrigued by these but I did just scoop the Hoka Mach 6 which is almost the exact same concept of a lightweight responsive trainer🤣 When I blow through these Hoka’s I’ll scoop the Rebel and see how they compare

LOVE the Campfire Stories EPro1s as my primary travel shoes! They really do it all for me.

- Colorway is undeniably FIRE (obviously borrowed inspiration from the Galaxy LeBron 9s)
- Lightweight
- COMFY
- FAST just in case have to make my gate before it closes
- Running, of course, at the destination city.

IMG_2548.jpeg

I’m glad that I triples up on these.

Got out in the Mach 6 this morning, really nice bounce from the full supercritical midsole. Fast turnover for a non-plated shoe. Really a joy.

IMG_2310.jpg
I just picked up the Rebel V4 and haven’t run in them. Considering returning them for the Mach 6 as I think I would prefer the additional stack height. Have you tried the Rebel V4?

I just picked up the Rebel V4 and haven’t run in them. Considering returning them for the Mach 6 as I think I would prefer the additional stack height. Have you tried the Rebel V4?

I haven't but I feel like the shoes are very similar in function/purpose. Both lightweight trainers with bouncy midsoles. I'm also not sure the Hoka has that much more stack height? I saw differences in how Hoka/NB measure stack. I can say the Mach didn't feel like a high stack shoe and felt more like the Rebel v3 which I did run in, in terms of stack height. From what I'm seeing the main reason to prefer the Mach is if you like a slightly firmer, more responsive ride. There's not a lot of squish to the midsole even as it is pretty bouncy. On the Rebel side it still seems to squish a fair bit on v4. I'll get to the Rebel v4 after I burn through these Mach's :smile:

I haven't but I feel like the shoes are very similar in function/purpose. Both lightweight trainers with bouncy midsoles. I'm also not sure the Hoka has that much more stack height? I saw differences in how Hoka/NB measure stack. I can say the Mach didn't feel like a high stack shoe and felt more like the Rebel v3 which I did run in, in terms of stack height. From what I'm seeing the main reason to prefer the Mach is if you like a slightly firmer, more responsive ride. There's not a lot of squish to the midsole even as it is pretty bouncy. On the Rebel side it still seems to squish a fair bit on v4. I'll get to the Rebel v4 after I burn through these Mach's :smile:

I'm honestly so confused with what NB has been doing across the board. The new Rebel's haven't had the best of reviews up and down the pace, the Supercomp Elite v4 also the same.

It's not a great look when your flagship female runner who has the American record in the Marathon and previously the half marathon is running in your non plate old SC Pacer shoes.

I took the Rebel V4 out for 4 miles this morning. My legs were tired from a tempo run yesterday so I was planning to keep it easy. I started out at low 7 minute per mile pace the first three miles and decided to pick it up the last mile and ran 6:18.

The shoe felt pretty good and can handle some speed. I had some achilles pain after not sure if that’s due to the shoe or my increased mileage.

Overall, I liked the shoes but they didn’t blow me away. In the end they’re a light weight daily trainer so they’re not supposed to blow you away but help you get through your daily mileage.

The achilles pain has me second guessing them since I haven’t had that in other shoes.

I took the Rebel V4 out for 4 miles this morning. My legs were tired from a tempo run yesterday so I was planning to keep it easy. I started out at low 7 minute per mile pace the first three miles and decided to pick it up the last mile and ran 6:18.

The shoe felt pretty good and can handle some speed. I had some achilles pain after not sure if that’s due to the shoe or my increased mileage.

Overall, I liked the shoes but they didn’t blow me away. In the end they’re a light weight daily trainer so they’re not supposed to blow you away but help you get through your daily mileage.

The achilles pain has me second guessing them since I haven’t had that in other shoes.

Thanks for your thoughts, and speedy recovery on the achilles pain! I think I'm the same way with the Mach in that it's also a lightweight daily but nothing crazy or revolutionary. I do get the sense that the Mach handles speed better than the Rebel, the firmer midsole and rocker kinda nudge you into tempo paces naturally. I was surprised at my pace in the Mach for the effort I was giving. My downside was that the traction absolutely sucked on wet pavement in the Mach. Keeping these for dry runs from now on, it had rained before I went out and the trails were slippery and they ended up being pretty treacherous.

Could be the drop. Its 6mm feels a bit different IMO; like there’s a slight negative drop at the heel. Standing on my heels, it feels (to a lesser extent) like the AF1, if you know what I mean. For me it best suits moderate pace runs with strides. I guess I’m just mindful of contact aft of the midfoot, trying to avoid a possible breaking effect (à la over-striding).

Last edited:
Hey for those who’ve tried the Cielo X1, can you compare it to the Prime X1? That’s the only super(plated) trainer I’ve tried but lacked confidence in its lateral stability. Basically, during a long run, is the Cielo X1 wobbly if you want to cruise for a bit at moderate or easy pace?

IMG_0533.jpeg

IMG_0532.jpeg

And which colorway do y’all like? I can’t make up my mind 🤷🏻

Hey for those who’ve tried the Cielo X1, can you compare it to the Prime X1? That’s the only super(plated) trainer I’ve tried but lacked confidence in its lateral stability. Basically, during a long run, is the Cielo X1 wobbly if you want to cruise for a bit at moderate or easy pace?

IMG_0533.jpeg

IMG_0532.jpeg

And which colorway do y’all like? I can’t make up my mind 🤷🏻

Cielo is the closest thing to the Prime X I’ve experienced. It’s still a touch wobbly just due to the insane stack height with such a soft foam but the stability is far better than the Prime X. It makes paces feel so easy though and long runs feel like nothing in it. Really saves the legs. I prefer the OG blue but the red ain’t bad either!

Cielo is the closest thing to the Prime X I’ve experienced. It’s still a touch wobbly just due to the insane stack height with such a soft foam but the stability is far better than the Prime X. It makes paces feel so easy though and long runs feel like nothing in it. Really saves the legs. I prefer the OG blue but the red ain’t bad either!
Agree--it's better than every version of the Prime X.

Back
Top Bottom