P90x, Rippetoes or something else?

I decided to start a workout program since I'm too damn inconsistent in the gym. I found myself a partner in my brother who's stronger than i am sothat will motivate me more.

Some stats:

Height+Weight: 6' 153 (skinny as eff)
bench: rep: 135
pullups: i can get 11 my first set but die my next 2
Squat rep: 135-145
ohwell.gif

Deadlift rep: 165-200 depending on # of reps i do

I hate to sound like a douche...but the main reason I want to work out is to look better. Obviously it's not the only reason...I <3 basketball so beingstronger helps with that. I'm also a pretty damn healthy person, so health is a factor too.

I'm looking to gain some mass...i wanna get to like 165ish. But i still want my abs to show and to look cut.

I have all the p90x stuff from a friend and it really seems interesting. I like the fact it has plyos since i like playing ball a lot, gives a strict diet, hasthe ab workout, and it'll definitely make me look better. I kno it'll make me able to pump pushups, pullups, etc...but how much will it help me in the weight room?

I know rippetoe/bill starr 5x5 will make me stronger especially on squat and deadlift, and will add to my vert as well, but how much sexier will this workoutmake me look? (i feel like a douche asking this but its important to me. and i'd add in some abs and curls)

I'm really interested in doing both. Is it smarter to do rippetoes/5x5 first? If yes, the thing is that i wanna do the p90 in time to look good for beachseason so will it make THAT much of a difference if i do p90x now and then after the 3 months do rippetoes and increase my squat+deadlift.

Sorry for the long post...but remember, it took me more work to write this then for u to read this
laugh.gif
. i appreciate any responses, positive and negative
happy.gif

I started Rippetoe 4 weeks ago. I'm doing the Novice Version - ie no cleans & rows, but makes pull ups and chin ups mandatory. I've also addedabwork on 2/3 days.

I've definitely noticed some results in the looks department already, but I've also adjusted my diet heavily so be aware of the significance of that.Eating right has made a huge difference. Notice how in the program he says 'Gains are directly related to what you eat' in big bold letters!

I'm gonna add some more arm exercise next week for biceps/triceps so those should improve in the looks dept. too. Remember Rippetoe is very flexible onceyou get started, I highly recommend it.

Get your squat way up. Not being able to rep your bodyweight is pitiful. It'll help with hops and strengthen you for plyometrics.

Back
Top Bottom