Papa John's Blames NFL Protests for losing sales

Well he’s the reason I stop eating it. ... papa johns was my go to pizza chain (i know, i know) and I legit haven’t had it since all this stuff first start coming out

giphy.gif

Papa John’s Announces Its Newest Board Member: Shaquille O’Neal

103732769-GettyImages-477519963.jpg

Shaquille ‘Shaq’ O’Neal
David Paul Morris | Bloomberg | Getty Images

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/22/papa-johns-announces-its-newest-board-member-shaquille-oneal.html

Key Points
  • Papa John’s announced Friday that Shaquille O’Neal is its newest board member.
  • O’Neal is investing in nine Papa John’s restaurants in Atlanta and will serve as an ambassador for the brand.
  • The retired NBA player has been investing in restaurants since his days in the league.
Papa John’s announced Friday that its newest board member is a familiar name: Shaquille O’Neal.

O’Neal will serve as the board’s first African American director, as well as an investor in nine Papa John’s restaurants in Atlanta. He will also serve as an ambassador for the embattled pizza brand.

Shares of the company rose more than percent in morning trading Friday. The stock, which has a market value of $1.55 billion, is down 13.4 percent over the last year.

Papa John’s has seen its North American sales tank after a series of scandals involving its founder John Schnatter, including his use of a racial slur on a conference call. Last year, it spent $5.8 million on reimaging costs, which included removing Schnatter’s image from its marketing materials and pizza boxes.

The company recently reached a settlement agreement with Schnatter. As part of the settlement, he would work with the company to find a mutually acceptable independent director not affiliated with himself or Starboard Value, the activist hedge fund that recently invested in Papa John’s.

In addition to his background as a retired NBA player and analyst, O’Neal has been investing in restaurants since his days in the league. He owns a Krispy Kreme Doughnuts franchise in Atlanta, a Las Vegas fried chicken restaurant called Big Chicken and a Los Angeles fine dining restaurant called Shaquille’s. He previously owned 27 Five Guys franchises.

Papa John’s most recent additions to its board include Michael Dubin, CEO of Dollar Shave Club; Jocelyn Mangan, CEO of Him For Her and a former OpenTable executive; and Anthony Sanfilippo, former chief executive of Pinnacle Entertainment. O’Neal’s addition brings the number of directors to 12.

The pizza chain has been trying to stage a comeback, focusing its marketing messaging on its use of “better ingredients” and releasing six new pizza flavors.

Programming note: For more on O’Neal joining the board, watch CNBC’s interview with O’Neal, Papa John’s CEO Steve Ritchie and Starboard Value CEO and Papa John’s Chairman Jeff Smith at 10:10 a.m. ET.

Reactions: wr
I'm sure this is a long thought out decision for Shaq. The opportunity to get in and turn around the company persona and reap maximum benefits. I wanna see how this plays out.

First and foremost Shaq understands the American system, then has brought into that system. He believes in economic empowerment as a tool to bring about equality, which is all that really matters to him, it seems, politically. People like Shaq believe in changing the system from within, using his stature in the Jim Brown model for economic determination. This in turn will make him seem like a buffoon to some, a sell out. Because when the time comes, Shaq cannot say anything bad about a White racist like Donald Trump. Trump being the opportunist that he is, loves to side with the good black guy. It makes him look non racist. Shaq is to be respected by Trump, but only to a certain extent. Once he steps out of line, they will Robert Kraft him. I am certain that Trump has dirt on Shaq, just like Kobe hinted at knowing. That whole crew, the Vegas elite, practiced the same method of cover up, hiding their dirt.

Pay people off. Keep people quiet. That is all they want, hush money.

So Papa John's needs a help out. They didn't ask Colin Kaepernick to come in and rectify things, Shaq was allowed to be on board because he is safe. He is about making money, and that is the bottom line. Let's see if Shaq hires Kaep to help him out. That is how all of this got started.

If it were not for Kaep, Shaq would not have had this opportunity.

I want to have an actual conversation.

You know he has wanted to be a Sheriff since he was a kid? Plus how would THAT support your claim? HE isn't becoming a Cop for MONEY reasons.
You think police unions aren’t paying shaq to support them for good publicity?

Here is a little story...
...on tape, trump is caught stating that when you are famous, that women are so impressed, that you can grab them by the *****. This is how he thinks. On the flip, he is encouraging you to do so, amping you up to try and test your celebrity. That is what he was really doing with the interviewer, baiting him to do some stupid ****, testing your limits. So you try and grab a woman by her genitals, because you are famous, and Donald Trump told you that you could do so. You do it, then you get into trouble. You call a Donald Trump type, telling him that you are in trouble because of his suggestion, and you want to know how to fix the problem. Trump tells you in that calm daddy manner, give her what she wants. Hush money, all women want this. That is how you handle it. So she asks for money that you do not have, and you call trump back for a loan.....so now daddy trump knows your business, and you owe him.

The exchange goes back and forth over the years. He calls you when either he or one of his friends are in a jam, and you answer the call. You get paid, and the Trump type guy gets to look good.

Reactions: wr
Back
Top Bottom