PayPal disputes (Going through one as a seller, anyone with experience chime in) UPDATE: Resolved, m

I'll keep it short because I know people hate long, winding text. I'll answer any follow up questions as fast as possible.

I sold a pair of Banned 1's to a guy for $590. Yes, I know, $590, I said the same thing, but he insisted. I'm sure everyone knows the history behind the shoe, but in case you don't, they're just regular Air Jordan 1's, except with the added insignia for the "banned" theme, BUT the big kicker is that THEY'RE ALL B-GRADES. Doesn't matter what you think, Nike stamped each and everyone of those boxes with the B. Which opens the door for any and all cosmetic defects they may or may not feature.

So before I sold the shoes to the buyer, we'll call him RL, he requested pictures because the dated ones I had were from when I originally listed them, which was last September.

So I provided pictures, including this one.

I'm being 100% honest with you guys. I never wore either pair of the two pair of Banned 1's I had. The Air Jordan 1 is just my favorite Jordan, so when they dropped, I got two pair to hold on to, because you never know when Nike will or won't re-release something you really like. I can honestly say I looked in the boxes 1-2, one of them I don't think I ever opened outside the day I purchased to make sure I had a right and left shoe in size 8.5.

Well last night, after the buyer received the shoes, I get an e-mail about the "wish you would have told me about the weird *** thing all over the toe". So I'm confused, but I'm like, sure, explain to me what you're talking about and send me a picture. To which he sends me this.

So I'm looking and I'm like, okay, the texture of the shoe is tumbled, but that's the shoe. It's supposed to give off an "weathered" feel.

No.

He's mad because there's some discoloration of the leather. Here's how the rest of the conversation went.

Am I trippin'? If you think I am, please feel free to tell me so. I just don't think it's that big a deal. It's like buying a refurbished iPhone and being mad it has something wrong. Anybody willing to pay $500+ for the Banned 1's has to know the background of the shoe, am I right? Hell, I even just offered to send him the right shoe from the other pair I have and take the "blemished" one back because to be honest, I don't plan on wearing them until the pair of 08 DMP's I have is unwearable and I'm going to wear the shoe anyway, so who cares if the colors a little off.

Last edited:
Have paypal deal with it bro. The "flaw" is obviously there in the pics you sent him. You should win this easy.

yup, you can see the problem with the toe in your pic... he should have sen it, and asked about it before dropping 590.

You have enough proof to win, however, Paypal has been known to side with buyers lately so you'll never know.

Yeah man I had a situation like this one time with some foams, This guy tweeted Nike to ask if any foams where B-grades they said no and he said I sold him B-grade foams. He filed a claim with PP and I lost. I sent him a TON of pics. And i still lost. Sounds like you were str8 up with the guy. I wish you luck Bro.

You have enough proof to win, however, Paypal has been known to side with buyers lately so you'll never know.

yup Paypal is the worst

I think your buyer is going to try and put fakes back in the box and keep the legit ones

yup Paypal is the worst
I think your buyer is going to try and put fakes back in the box and keep the legit ones

I've delt with this same/ similar situation several times.

Here's the deal, Paypal SHOULD deny his claim since you have well documented photo's. HOWEVER, there are instances where an employee either on the side of Paypal or eBay will make a bad call. In that case you should immediately ask to speak with a supervisor and COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN, AND COMPLAIN SOME MORE. I've experienced some of the most incompetent employees these companies have to offer and I'll tell you even if they can't give you a logical explanation as to how they came up with their decision (because they know their wrong) they will try to defend their stupidity. In some cases I've had to go to the better business bureau and only then was someone able to resolve my issue.

Paypal has gotten A LOT better in how they handle cases just like yours but when your handed a bad decision and know your right (AND HAVE PROOF), you should stand your ground.

I had one instance where I sold a guy a pair of Jordan XXIII's brand new mint in the box. Two weeks later he tells me the air was popped in one the shoes and I sold him defective sneakers (I know for a fact they weren't). Anyhow I had a gut feeling this guy used them to play ball in and did it himself. He filed a chargeback and paypal forced me to take the return. I get the shoes back and they were creased up and dirty from obvious wear (much different than the crisp tagged photos I had in my listing). In the end paypal had me return the shoes to them and they issued me a refund as well as the buyer (they shouldn't have done that) but I got ripped on the shipping.

More recently I sold a guy a set of Nike Night Track retro's brand new in box. Now if your familiar with the material you'll know that they can easily show a mark on the uppers and a lot of them come like that from the factory. Anyhow, the guy paid for the item and I shipped out within a matter of minutes. Then he messages me about an hour after paying and says he wants to cancel the transaction he ordered the wrong size and that I listed the wrong size (even though the description said 11, the size on the ebay pre fill said 11, and the photo in the listing showed a size 11) Then he apologizes and says that it was a glitch in eBay's system and says he'll just take the shoes. He receives the shoes and says they are dirty and he wants a refund if not he'll file a chargeback.) Luckily I saved all my messages from this guy (which I forwarded to Paypal) and all the photo's of the shoes in the listing spoke for themselves. I also had a high resolution photo of the toe box showing no stain even though he said there was a stain on the toe box and sent me a picture of one. Paypal found in my favor and denied him.

Moral of those stories are Paypal isn't as bad as you would think and have become a lot better. Send them as much information as possible showing you were completely up front with this guy and they should rule in your favor. In the event they don't immediately speak with a supervisor and/or file an appeal.

P.S. let whomever your talking to know, that if they do rule in his favor you are concerned that the buyer could switch the real deal with fake stuff. Its for this reason anyone selling on eBay should take as many detailed photo's as possible of their item, especially when its an expensive pair of kicks.

Last edited:
Did you know about the toe box? If you did and you did not disclose it to the buyer whether it is obvious in the picture or not, you're at fault.

A lot of pairs came with discolored red on the shoe. Like mentioned send the pic to Paypal. I can't do Paypal nomore. I got banned for selling some Blazers which were 100% legit from Undefeated. But they blocked me because it had no box. Paypal needs people with shoe experience because these things/scams happen on the regular.

Thanks for the input guys. As an update, it's been resolved. I think they guy had someone trying to convince him to try and pull a scam because his responses varied so much, but I was able to logically convince the guy that he had no real case and that he should just accept one of my alternatives.

First, after I denied his claim for $150 back, I offered him a partial refund of $75, ONLY because I felt somewhat bad because he seems like a kid, like maybe just discovering the sneaker thing or whatever and I remember how much I liked the whole collecting and community aspect when I was 16, 17, 18. $515 isn't what I wanted, but I could accept giving him a break. Well, before he ever responded to the partial refund, I realized I could offer the right shoe from the other deadstock pair I have, which is also an 8.5. I should have thought of it earliest, but I guess I was kind of ticked off by the whole thing. Like I stated in my original post, I wear my sneakers, I'm not really into the whole letting them sit for years as part of a "collection" thing. So for me, it's not big deal to switch, I'll wear the "blemished" shoe when the time comes.

When I offer him the trade, he's open to it, EXCEPT, he suggests that I send him the money back, then he'll send me BOTH the left and the right shoe of the pair I sent him, then he'll send me the money back, and I'll send him my other pair. At this point, I'm pretty much stumped because that literally makes zero sense, as I've already offered to send him the replacement right shoe once he sends back the one he isn't pleased with. It's not like I'm gonna not send the other shoe back, what the hell am I going to do with 2 right shoes and 1 left? At that point, he then decides also, he'll just take a full refund.

I figured maybe that's what it was really about, and I told him I don't normally do full refunds, but at this point, I've had 5 other offers on the sneakers since they were sold to him (he never finished the transaction, so it appeared as still for sale) so I told him that I would refund his money, but I would not sell him the shoes back for the other pair, so if what he wanted was a refund, he would get it, but not before he sent the shoes back to me.

What'd he decide to do? "Oh, I'll just send the right shoe back tomorrow and you can just send me the good one."

Some people's kids, man.

Did you know about the toe box? If you did and you did not disclose it to the buyer whether it is obvious in the picture or not, you're at fault.

No. To be honest, I never wore my pair, and all my friends who got them put in miles on their pairs from jump, so all of there's look "discolored" because leather changes with time. I just figured that was part of the finish when he sent me the initial picture.

^ I'm guessing this was done over on ISS? Nothing but trouble over there. Everytime someone has attempted to scam me, it's been through that site. 

Glad you were able to work things out.

When I grew out of my size 8-8.5 and sold a few shoes I couldn't stand dealing with ignorant little kids who were mainly small sizes.

Thanks for the input guys. As an update, it's been resolved. I think they guy had someone trying to convince him to try and pull a scam because his responses varied so much, but I was able to logically convince the guy that he had no real case and that he should just accept one of my alternatives.
First, after I denied his claim for $150 back, I offered him a partial refund of $75, ONLY because I felt somewhat bad because he seems like a kid, like maybe just discovering the sneaker thing or whatever and I remember how much I liked the whole collecting and community aspect when I was 16, 17, 18. $515 isn't what I wanted, but I could accept giving him a break. Well, before he ever responded to the partial refund, I realized I could offer the right shoe from the other deadstock pair I have, which is also an 8.5. I should have thought of it earliest, but I guess I was kind of ticked off by the whole thing. Like I stated in my original post, I wear my sneakers, I'm not really into the whole letting them sit for years as part of a "collection" thing. So for me, it's not big deal to switch, I'll wear the "blemished" shoe when the time comes.
When I offer him the trade, he's open to it, EXCEPT, he suggests that I send him the money back, then he'll send me BOTH the left and the right shoe of the pair I sent him, then he'll send me the money back, and I'll send him my other pair. At this point, I'm pretty much stumped because that literally makes zero sense, as I've already offered to send him the replacement right shoe once he sends back the one he isn't pleased with. It's not like I'm gonna not send the other shoe back, what the hell am I going to do with 2 right shoes and 1 left? At that point, he then decides also, he'll just take a full refund.
I figured maybe that's what it was really about, and I told him I don't normally do full refunds, but at this point, I've had 5 other offers on the sneakers since they were sold to him (he never finished the transaction, so it appeared as still for sale) so I told him that I would refund his money, but I would not sell him the shoes back for the other pair, so if what he wanted was a refund, he would get it, but not before he sent the shoes back to me.
What'd he decide to do? "Oh, I'll just send the right shoe back tomorrow and you can just send me the good one."
Some people's kids, man.

Yup good call, he's trying to play you. Once you give a refund, it's over. You can't get that money back even if he doesn't send the shoes back. Don't even think twice about it

Last edited:
I won a pair of 2012 Bred 13s off of ebay, i thought i had a great deal for winning it for $197 free shipping (there is only on picture on the listing and it looked fine) but once i recieved the item it was a B grade (the right pair has a very odd looking shape), the seller didn't specify in the listing that it was a B grade and just said he described everything meaning it was 100% authentic and brand new that is all. Now he wouldn't refund my money back, do you guys think i have a pretty strong case with ebay? I have over 100+ postive feedbacks and never had any problems as a buyer until now by the way and the seller just 10.

Some people's kids, man.
hes trying to play you dont even bother sending him the other shoe guarantee youll get a used one in exchange for your DS one

tell him to go kick rocks you should be able to win with paypal no need to feel sorry for him

Back
Top Bottom