Pepé Le Pew

This whole thing is funny and I hope people aren’t really mad about this. Pepe was never a star so it’s not like he’ll be missed like that. Bugs sure....but Pepe? Nah.

All of the original Looney Tunes shorts were made for theaters and intended for adults.

I don't know of any shorts made for television where Pepe displayed the behavior everyone is talking about.

He's appeared in stuff made for kids but this was in the 70s and after. In all of this stuff I don't know of him showing that behavior. Did he do it in the original Space Jam?

I don't know of any shorts made for television where Pepe displayed the behavior everyone is talking about.

oh i def remember it on tv, that's where i saw it as a kid.

the same bit every time. cat gets painted with the white strip,
le pew goes after her, and he gets some comeuppance at the end

I am furious. Who is next on da lib cancel agenda? Hulk because he smashes? Popeye Da Sailor Man? Bugs Bunny? I'M DONE. Pepe was a man's man and all da ladies and fellas wanted him because of his swag. WB was afraid his Zaddy appeal would hurt Lebbie's feelings. DISGUSTING

oh i def remember it on tv, that's where i saw it as a kid.

the same bit every time. cat gets painted with the white strip,
le pew goes after her, and he gets some comeuppance at the end
But that's what you're not understanding, I'm sure what you saw was one of the originals. Those were intended for adults.

I can't find anything that says Looney tunes shorts were produced for television. If you find shorts that were produced for television and he does what he does, then you can say it was made for children.

All of that stuff we watched growing up was made for theaters it was just shown on TV, that's how everyone in this thread probably saw it.

But that's what you're not understanding, I'm sure what you saw was one of the originals. Those were intended for adults.

I can't find anything that says Looney tunes shorts were produced for television. If you find shorts that were produced for television and he does what he does, then you can say it was made for children.

All of that stuff we watched growing up was made for theaters it was just shown on TV, that's how everyone in this thread probably saw it.

ahhh i gotchu my bad.

All of the original Looney Tunes shorts were made for theaters and intended for adults.

He's appeared in stuff made for kids but this was in the 70s and after. In all of this stuff I don't know of him showing that behavior. Did he do it in the original Space Jam?
Well at that point you really cant blur the character.

Like you can't have Scooby Doo solving harmless mysteries that are really scams with his crew and then have him catching serial killers and torturing junkies for information

WB does try this a lot though. Did it with Batman and they did it with Spaceghost

Well at that point you really cant blur the character.

Like you can't have Scooby Doo solving harmless mysteries that are really scams with his crew and then have him catching serial killers and torturing junkies for information

WB does try this a lot though. Did it with Batman and they did it with Spaceghost
I say if it's intended for adults, anything goes, freedom of speech.

But if it's adult natured and marketed for children I don't agree.

What did they do with Batman?

It's totally possible that im wrong and I've simply gotten old.
and WB is right to just kill Pepe and not deal any bad PR.

I just always get a lil annoyed with the ...
"the depiction of bad behavior is an automatic endorsement of said behavior"

view that some people take with art.
I think you are getting old

Because a large corporation doesn't want to deal with negative press of an insignificant character that is attached to problematic behavior that the company has even animated the character doing in a while

And they remove him from a movie they want parents to bring their kids to

People start wild out about them "cancelling" Pepe. A character non one has an attachment to.

And the folk you think are being unreasonable are the folk that might agree with Disney's decision? :lol:

This is capitalism

Firms change their products when faced with different market conditions, and the taste of their consumers change

I say if it's intended for adults, anything goes, freedom of speech.

But if it's adult natured and marketed for children I don't agree.

What did they do with Batman?
The Batman example is no way as bad but it is like the early prototype.

Batman as a comic seen for kids even though when he started out early 30s he was killing and using guns. Had the 60s Batman show that was for everybody. Then they went back and made Batman super dark and gritty.

Batman is in a place where they can do a Lego Batman (even the comedy here is questionable for kids) and have a murderous Zack Snyder Batman at the same time. Not the case for Pepe and the like.

Last edited:
The Batman example is no way as bad but it is like the early prototype.

Batman as a comic seen for kids even though when he started out early 30s he was killing and using guns. Had the 60s Batman show that was for everybody. Then they went back and made Batman super dark and gritty.

Batman is in a place where they can do a Lego Batman (even the comedy here is questionable for kids) and have a murderous Zack Snyder Batman at the sane time. Not the case for Pepe and the like.
Yea, he used to carry a gun the first few years. :lol: And now his main maxim in the comics is not to kill.

Kind of reversed when compared to other heroes. Most of them started out wholesome back then and are dark now.

I think you are getting old

Because a large corporation doesn't want to deal with negative press of an insignificant character that is attached to problematic behavior that the company has even animated the character doing in a while

And they remove him from a movie they want parents to bring their kids to

People start wild out about them "cancelling" Pepe. A character non one has an attachment to.

And the folk you think are being unreasonable are the folk that might agree with Disney's decision? :lol:

This is capitalism

Firms change their products when faced with different market conditions, and the taste of their consumers change
i mean I defend their right to do it. they might be right.

I quibble more with people who actually take offense to Pepe.
that to me seems highly silly.

Who watches Looney Tunes and thinks, I want to be like Pepe Le Pew? :lol:

It sends the wrong message to young men.

The hyper aggressive, overly persistent, "I gotta have it" behavior he showed when the woman was clearly telling him no SENDS the wrong message.

Subconsciously, we have ZERO idea how many young boys were influenced by that.

You can't dismiss it because it was an animated character as if we can't directly/indirectly learn things from them.

Last edited:
solewoman solewoman you my sister and I hate to put the spotlight on you but you liked this post and I'm just curious...

You are one of the few women on NT we can get a women's opinion on.

Did you find him offensive as a child?

Very. I didn’t understand the sexual innuendo behind it but was definitely not a fan of the overt harassment. I always thought he was doing too much.

The real problem is that these cartoon makers are getting these characters from normalized people in their lives.

Last edited:
This is not the first time Pepe was discussed, I remember when talk when Tiny Toons dropped. IIRC, he tried to kiss the cat.

It sends the wrong message to young men.

The hyper aggressive, overly persistent, "I gotta have it" behavior he showed when the woman was clearly telling him no SENDS the wrong message.

Subconsciously, we have ZERO idea how many young boys were influenced by that.

You can't dismiss it because it was an animated character as if we can't directly/indirectly learn things from them.

Well said. I’d also add what does this teach young girls? That this type of behavior from males is normal, expected and just a part of life? Just something they have to put up with?

It's funny to me when people get upset about things being canceled that they haven't even thought about in 10+ years. If PePe LePew being canceled bothers you for more than 3 seconds I envy you because you clearly have an amazing stress free life with little other to worry about
I apply this logic to a lot of things that seem to be hot topics and drawn out arguments.

Its the epitome of 1st world problems.

Back
Top Bottom