Pharrell Counter Sues Will I Am

Pharrell Williams is asking a New York court to rule that he has not infringed on any trademarks for the phrase "I am." (Adam Berry / Getty Images / July 2, 2013)

View media item 478578
Musician and producer Pharrell Williams is asking a New York court to rule that he has not infringed on any trademarks for the phrase "I am."

According to a complaint filed Monday in New York, Black Eyed Peas rapper will.i.am has sent Williams cease and desist letters to stop him from using the phrase for his "i am OTHER" website and YouTube channel.

Lawyers for will.i.am said in the original letter, sent last year, that "the use of the term "I AM" is likely to cause visitors to the website to believe" that will.i.am is affiliated with the site.

Williams, a member of hip-hop duo the Neptunes, has contributed vocals to two massive summer hits, Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" and Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines."

Williams' complaint argues that Will.i.am, whose given name is William Adams, has a "relatively weak" trademark claim in this case. He currently only has trademarks for the phrase's use on clothing, and there are already multiple registered trademarks for other uses of the phrase, the lawsuit said.

"The complaint seeks a declaration from the Federal Court in New York that i am OTHER does not infringe, dilute or unfairly compete with will.i.am or any of Mr. Adams' alleged "I AM " trademarks," said Brad Rose, Williams' attorney, in a statement.

In a response to the first cease and desist letter, Williams argued that the "i am OTHER" mark is "not confusingly similar" to the will.i.am trademark.

The response suggested will.i.am's mark is a play on his given name and is similar to the use of language by Dr. Seuss in "Green Eggs and Ham." "I Am Other" is a different kind of wordplay, Williams argued.

Is Pharrell lame for suing Will now too? :nerd:

I don't see where it says he countersued....

but if he did, good.

He wouldn't be lame it would be some nice karma for will.i.am's stupidity

No he's not lame. He tried to talk it out then Will I Am rocking a Astro Boy haircut didnt wanna talk it out.

No he's not lame. He tried to talk it out then Will I Am rocking a Astro Boy haircut didnt wanna talk it out.
laugh.gif
 This. There is nothing similar about the two entities.

Pharrell Quotes Dr. Seuss’ ‘Green Eggs & Ham’ In Lawsuit Filed Against will.i.am

Pharrell says Will is using the “I Am” is a Seussian way — as a playfull riff on his own name — and to hammer home his point, he quotes from Green Eggs and Ham:

“Sam I am
I am Sam
I am Sam
Sam I am”

Pharrell continues in his suit, “In contrast, the I Am Other mark means ‘I am something else,’ leaving what that ‘else’ is to the imagination of the consumer. It certainly does not mean ‘I am Will.’”
The trademark war between will.i.am and Pharrell Williams takes another twist. After being sued last week by The Black Eyed Peas frontman over the use of “I Am” in his i am OTHER brand, The Neptunes hitmaker has filed his own lawsuit in a Manhattan, New York federal court against will.i.am’s claim.

Seeking a declaratory judgment of non-infringement, TMZ has obtained the court files in which Pharrell cleverly quotes Dr. Seuss’ critically acclaimed children’s book “Green Eggs & Ham” to display how both are using “I Am” differently. He’s resquesting for written permission to continue using the “I Am Other” name for his brand which launched in 2012.

Last edited:
Pharrell Quotes Dr. Seuss’ ‘Green Eggs & Ham’ In Lawsuit Filed Against will.i.am

Pharrell says Will is using the “I Am” is a Seussian way — as a playfull riff on his own name — and to hammer home his point, he quotes from Green Eggs and Ham:

“Sam I am
I am Sam
I am Sam
Sam I am”

Pharrell continues in his suit, “In contrast, the I Am Other mark means ‘I am something else,’ leaving what that ‘else’ is to the imagination of the consumer. It certainly does not mean ‘I am Will.’”
The trademark war between will.i.am and Pharrell Williams takes another twist. After being sued last week by The Black Eyed Peas frontman over the use of “I Am” in his i am OTHER brand, The Neptunes hitmaker has filed his own lawsuit in a Manhattan, New York federal court against will.i.am’s claim.

Seeking a declaratory judgment of non-infringement, TMZ has obtained the court files in which Pharrell cleverly quotes Dr. Seuss’ critically acclaimed children’s book “Green Eggs & Ham” to display how both are using “I Am” differently. He’s resquesting for written permission to continue using the “I Am Other” name for his brand which launched in 2012.

:lol: How can you hate this guy? Yup Pharrell stan here idc idc idc

Last edited:
Pharrell Williams is asking a New York court to rule that he has not infringed on any trademarks for the phrase "I am." (Adam Berry / Getty Images / July 2, 2013)

View media item 478578
Musician and producer Pharrell Williams is asking a New York court to rule that he has not infringed on any trademarks for the phrase "I am."

According to a complaint filed Monday in New York, Black Eyed Peas rapper will.i.am has sent Williams cease and desist letters to stop him from using the phrase for his "i am OTHER" website and YouTube channel.

Lawyers for will.i.am said in the original letter, sent last year, that "the use of the term "I AM" is likely to cause visitors to the website to believe" that will.i.am is affiliated with the site.

Williams, a member of hip-hop duo the Neptunes, has contributed vocals to two massive summer hits, Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" and Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines."

Williams' complaint argues that Will.i.am, whose given name is William Adams, has a "relatively weak" trademark claim in this case. He currently only has trademarks for the phrase's use on clothing, and there are already multiple registered trademarks for other uses of the phrase, the lawsuit said.

"The complaint seeks a declaration from the Federal Court in New York that i am OTHER does not infringe, dilute or unfairly compete with will.i.am or any of Mr. Adams' alleged "I AM " trademarks," said Brad Rose, Williams' attorney, in a statement.

In a response to the first cease and desist letter, Williams argued that the "i am OTHER" mark is "not confusingly similar" to the will.i.am trademark.

The response suggested will.i.am's mark is a play on his given name and is similar to the use of language by Dr. Seuss in "Green Eggs and Ham." "I Am Other" is a different kind of wordplay, Williams argued.

Is Pharrell lame for suing Will now too? :nerd:

No stop riding Will I Am, it's come to this because of him and him ONLY

The whole situation is a joke. The fact that you can trademark words being out together is ridiculous. I want to trademark thank you and you're welcome........ And I'm going to sue anyone who uses it from now on.......

Good.

Will I Am looked stupid initially and hopefully he'll continue to embarrass himself

Man why this...**** gota be a **** he brought it on himself

I thought will. Was eatn, that ***** aint eatn apparently...

Cuz I thought he was eatin..

“Sam I am
I am Sam
I am Sam
Sam I am”

pimp.gif

roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom