Picking A Major

NT, 
Im not sure what Im doing in College (community college). Currently I'm majoring in Business but I'm not sure if that is what I want to do. I simply JUST picked that major because i wasnt sure what else to pick. This first semester I made the stupid decision to drop all of my courses (i'm a freshman). So im back on square 1. No majors really interest me or catches my attention. I still have to take a pre college algebra class (which really annoys me).I just need help picking a major..

thanks

Can't really tell you what to do when you don't know. I suggest you just take an elective or two in a subject that interests you and go from there.

To be honest, the typical business degree won't cut it.

My best advice is to run with technology and find a focus in it.

If you're not a technology based person, then get in where you fit in but find a focus that will allow you to hit a lot of things across the head.

I graduated with a degree in Management Information Systems.

I'm working with streaming media right now.

I'm a musician so everything goes hand in hand.

At the end of the day, it worked out for me, but it's hard out there in a sense of actually doing what you would like to do.

My key word is experience, and internships. I refused to do internships, and it bit me in the back. Luckily I was able to find a flexible gig after college that allows me to chase my dreams as an artist as well as obtain experience in the business of IT for my future.

I hope this has helped. If you need to speak more feel free to hit me on my cell, just DM me. I also still use AIM, or iMessage.

Good luck and remember, do what you want.

Just take your time, it'll most likely come to you in time.
I'm majoring in Psychology right now, and I'm getting nervous about it because I know most people do it because it's pretty easy. I actually enjoy the subject and want to get somewhere in it, but I won't be making $#!*.
ohwell.gif

I plan on getting my Master's though, at least for now.

It's a tough choice, just get the Gen. Eds. out of the way until you find something you have a passion for, or at the very least enjoy.

Well picking a major isn't an east thing to do for a lot of people, myself included. I started out as a business administration guy but I spent 2 years TRYING to be that guy, but it wasn't working out so I had to stop and choose something more tailored to my personality and aspirations.

At this point you need to consult alot of different resources (www.bls.gov's occupational handbook, a solid book of college majors and the jobs you can land after getting a degree, friends and family with advice or careers you would like to know more about or even jump into, volunteering opportunities in different areas, talking to a counselor/academic advisor...not the b.s. ones...find a solid person that knows how to help people find what their good at, take an online personality test...like the jung test...it usually lists the preferred jobs of these people, go to a barnes and nobles and go through magazines that interest you to find a career that appeals to your likes...not just oogling at the issue of KING or FHM).

GL.

Math and Science fambs . My degree is in history and it looks like im gonna be on this landscape tip for a while
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by NooEra

Math and Science fambs . My degree is in history and it looks like im gonna be on this landscape tip for a while
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

My only issue was I have such a love for Science and an even bigger hatred for Math when it isn't being used in these classes. I love Physics and Chemistry, but you couldn't pay me to take Calculus.

As for OP, I wouldn't worry about it too much, most people go through it. Just do a little soul searching, think about things you would be able to enjoy/put up with doing.

I say major in something general and concentrate/minor in something you really want to do so you don't completely limit yourself when it comes time to get a job.

For an example, I want to work with cars when I graduate. I'm majoring in Mechanical Engineering with a concentration in Automotive. If I majored in automotive engineering, I would only be limited to jobs in the automotive industry. Where as I'm limited to a wide array of fields with a ME degree

Nah i stick by what I say but really , whatever major you pick, your success lies on your own shoulders. Keep you GPA high, make sure you intern and make sure you network. Sit in the front row and try to establish slme kind of relationship with your professor and the head of your department. School first, drink second . Hit them books HARD and make sure you acquire credentials that seperate yourself from the rest. Best of luck OP

Originally Posted by DROOPY7

Originally Posted by NooEra

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

My only issue was I have such a love for Science and an even bigger hatred for Math when it isn't being used in these classes. I love Physics and Chemistry, but you couldn't pay me to take Calculus.

As for OP, I wouldn't worry about it too much, most people go through it. Just do a little soul searching, think about things you would be able to enjoy/put up with doing.
Calculus gets a bad rap but it's not as bad as it seems, it just gets hectic on paper( Some of the derivatives man...). The real beast is linear algebra, idk if i have the heart for it. 
As Far as Op, the market is flooded with Humanities majors. Science, Math, or Economics is a good way to go but if you like traveling and learning different cultures you can do Anthropology. Always teaching, getting your views out there, making others see a different view of life.  

You have two options. Either you can pick something of interest by going exploratory route or you can pick something that will secure a job. The latter should narrow down your choices easily.

whatever major you do or wherever you go, get your networking skills up and never burn bridges with those people

Originally Posted by iYen

Originally Posted by rocman23

psych degree so versatile

How?
What career did you get with that degree?

i think dude is trollin.

not trying to be a **** to OP, but at a CC does "major" even matter?  BS/BA are hardly worth the paper they are written on, I cant imagine an AA is worth more (probably much less).  If you are planning on transferring to a 4 yr college/uni wont you be required to do most of your upper division major-centric classes after you transfer?

im in the same position myself right now OP

its tought trying to figure out what you want to do with the rest of your life..

i dont want to be at a job i will hate, but then again i want to be making bank... smh

Originally Posted by limonyfresh

You have two options. Either you can pick something of interest by going exploratory route or you can pick something that will secure a job. The latter should narrow down your choices easily.
I'm going to have to agree with this. The jobs that are always going to be around are usually the mundane ones that you didn't envision yourself doing. On the other hand, landing an amazing job in your field of interest is like finding the right girl. She either fell on your lap already, or she's out there and you'll have to search long and hard.

Is anyone majoring in Physical Education or Kinesiology?
Also what career did you obtain with that degree?

Follow your heart and don't waste time focusing your energy and efforts on something that won't lead you to your true purpose in life.

Focus on STEM

Science, tech, engineering, math... can't go wrong.

Everyone is a business major nowadays... ask 10 students at school and 99.99% will be business majors.
I'm a business major and its suck so much **** its unreal. I wish I would have done something in science.

Back
Top Bottom