plasma or LCD?

thinking of buying a new tv...wondering if you guys can give reviews on tvs youve owned and whatnot..i know there is LED but i want to buy LCD or plasma....reviews please? thanks! 
smokin.gif

LCD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Plasma

LED>Both obviously

but yea got with a LCD over a plasma all day. way better, got 3 LCDs and i love them.

yeah thats what i was thinking too LCD over plasma...for some reason plasma dont seem as clear to me but im not too picky..

can someone give me reviews on 40-50" tvs....plasma or LCD whats good out right now...what can i get wit my money!

can someone give me reviews on 40-50" tvs....plasma or LCD whats good out right now...what can i get wit my money!

Got 2 Samsung LCDs in our house. A 55 inch upstairs and 61 inch downstairs. Don't have any regrets, they are great TV's.

[table][tr][th=""]Display
Type[/th][th=""]Screen
Size[/th][th=""]Wall
Mountable[/th][th=""]Viewing
Angle (side to side)[/th][th=""]Contrast Ratio
& Black Level[/th][th=""]Pros & Cons[/th][/tr][tr][td]Plasma[/td][td]42"-65"[/td][td]Yes[/td][td]Excellent[/td][td]Very good[/td][td][*]Pros: screen's phosphor coating creates lifelike color that is closest to conventional tube TVs[*]Cons: vulnerable to "burn-in" although it's less of an issue for newer models; screen tends to reflect room lights[/td][/tr][tr][td]LCD[/td][td]19"-52"[/td][td]Yes[/td][td]Good toVery Good[/td][td]Good[/td][td][*]Pros: panels weigh less than plasma and use less energy; burn-in not an issue [*]Cons: picture slightly less natural than top plasmas [/td][/tr][/table]
[h3]Which type is right for you?[/h3]
Plasma TVs have been around a little longer than LCD TVs, and theirtechnology is a little further along. Plasma screens use a phosphorcoating like tube TVs, so they have the natural color we're used towith tube models. Plasmas have better contrast and black levelperformance than LCDs, and offer slightly wider viewing angles. Peopleoften describe plasma's picture quality as richer or more "cinematic,"so it's a great choice for a home theater, or your main TV.

A plasma TV might be for you if:
  • You want really rich, warm colors and deep blacks.
  • You'll be sitting off-axis when you watch TV or movies.
  • You don't watch a lot of TV shows or play lots of video games withstatic images on the screen for more than a few hours at a time.
  • Your viewing room doesn't have a lot of ambient light, or you can easily reduce the light by closing the blinds, for example.
If you're looking at screen sizes under 40", LCD is your onlyflat-panel choice. LCD looks great in a kitchen or any other room withbright lighting. LCD displays are better at resisting glare fromsunlight or room lights, and they're very bright (brighter even thanplasmas). LCD is also one of the most rugged display types. Its totalimmunity to screen burn-in makes LCD an ideal choice if your viewingincludes frequent computer or video game use. And if you leave your TVon for hours at a time tuned to a news or sports channel with ascrolling "ticker," LCD would be a safer TV choice.

A flat-panel LCD TV might be for you if:
  • You watch a lot of TV shows or play lots of video games with staticimages on the screen for extended periods of time, multiple days a week.
  • Your TV room is relatively bright, or you do a lot of daytime viewing.
  • There are many more 1080p LCD models than plasma — that's the highest resolution currently available, so you'll see a very sharp, detailed picture.
  • LCD TVs are usually more energy efficient than plasma models of the same size.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ebJOtOCJrBh/learn/learningcenter/home/tv_flatpanel.html

Originally Posted by j0nnyblaze

yeah thats what i was thinking too LCD over plasma...for some reason plasma dont seem as clear to me but im not too picky..

I think you have it backwards. Plasma when it comes to picture quality is much better than LCD and even better than LED. I own LCDs and LEDs around my home right now, only reason I didn't go with plasma was because I have a bunch of windows everywhere causing glare.

plasma has a very sharp picture.....my dad has a plasma and lcd and the difference is crazy.....but then it again it depends on what you're using the tv for.....

I have three plasmas, all three are used to play movies, watch tv, play pc games, and 360.

Never had any problems with any of them.

LCD on the other hand, viewing angles arent too good, color isnt as vivid. pixelation on some.

The only cool thing about lcd is that its straight vga hook up from pc to tv.

while as for plasma, you have to have hdmi out(or dvi-hdmi convert) to tv.

My htpc has a hdmi out playing at 1080p anyways so it doesnt matter much at home.

But my htpc rig at college only has vga out, but than i have a lcd up here so it doenst matter much either.

Cliffnotes:

There both good.

laugh.gif
at some of the replys in here... if you really wanna get into TV's go to avsforums..... those guys put in work with their sets....
drunken cow... have you ever had a LCD?... trust i can stand right next to my LCD and still see a very good picture...
i had both LCD and plasma... sold the plasma to my homie and picked up 2 LCD's later on... not sure what my next TV is gonna be... i have a lot of windows in my living room so debating if i should stay matted or go glossy... but im really leaning towards the samsung plasma...

picking plasma or a lcd is like picking a 360 or a PS3... how much are you trying to spend? where is the TV going to be at? then holla back

right now i have a Samsung 120hz LN46A650 in the bedroom and a Sony 240hz 52Z5100 in the living room....

Plasma hands down for 40in plus. If you can find a pioneer Kuro go for it.

BTW - My family own all multiple sets of the 3 different types of Tvs and I love the plasma the best

Back
Top Bottom