playing basketball helps stretch bones to grow taller?

ive been reading alot about this and that is why most nba players are well past 6ft,and its not mainly on genetics.if theyve been playing basketball therewhole life there bones and muscles would stretch longer than some relative with the SAME genetics and eating nothing but chips there whole life,guess whosgonna be taller?the basketball player,,,this may be dumb but is true?

I heard Chris Paul grew 6 inches his junior year in HS
eek.gif
, so it might be true.

its completely dumb, one of the dumbest things i've heard. height is determined mainly by genetics, slightly by nutrition.

i'm pretty sure Muggsy Bogues, Allen Iverson, Earl Boykins etc played basketball all their lives and none of them is tall.

cant even fathom how you could believe this

i doubt man, can your bones really stretch?

most of those dudes are playing cause they already tall

some source i read says that genetics isnt really what affects your height unless :

- both of your parents reached there maximum potential height

- had a well based diet there whole life

- never done any drugs or alcohol that stimulates the growth plates in there teen ages

...So thats like a low percentage chance but hey that can be wrong im just asking a question

Originally Posted by breakinyourankles

I play basketball religiously and I'm only 5'5" 16 years old.
18f25e97cdf53df748da30ea99f1e0c4c23d96d.gif
a lie I tell you.
But it did help me with my quickness
pimp.gif

But not your insurance bill.

I think it's more about physical fitness. If you are overweight or obese you may not grow to your maximal height potential.

if you wanna grow taller take some HGH before the age of 18. Other then that its all genetics. Even though hanging from a bar helps you grow but its notpermanent. Jordan did it supposidly.

yeah take a health class or somethin. playin bball doesnt make you grow. dont they teach kids anything in school anymore

I love basketball but didn't start playing til late in my life. I grew 11 inches in one year but that was from a growth spurt, it was around 8th, 9thgrade. I still remember when i had my yearly checkup after i grew, my doctor walked in and had a
eek.gif
face. I'm not even that tall, only 6'0, but all in one year it was a hugedifference.

look at MJ, none of his family members are over six feet and yet, he's 6'6''. Skinny dudes can grow easier than chubby kids. People who playbasketball intensely...do suicides and dunks... it can stimulate growth hormone release. If you can dunk and keeps on dunking and eating right, you will grow.

You think Shaq get that all with all that weight? NOpe, he used to have Kevin Garnett's body.

Its like lifting weights. If you lift weights for 4 hours everyday for 10 years you will get stronger. Same thing applies, just applies differently. You haveto train your body during your growth period. Playing ball for 5 hours for 10 years during your growth period, reaching for a 10 foot basket all day, it willDEFINITELY make you taller. Thats just natures adaptation.

i don't think it's true.

most, if not all, players in the NBA were playing ball as much as they were BECAUSE they were so tall.

I have a friend who I know from high school, who happens to be asian (if this matters at all) and his father is 5'5" while his mom is5'1".......When I knew him in high school, He always played ball every day...As a freshmen in high school, he was only 5'6...now at the age of 23he's freaking 6'3"
laugh.gif
...he was a skinny dude too

I think each person has a set limit as to how tall they can get. whether or not you reach that potential. depends on your nutrition and fitness

i woulda told the story w/ gymnastics instead of basketball.

i've been bouncing my balls since the age of puberty and from since then i get only a 4 inch gain.

Back
Top Bottom