playing basketball helps stretch bones to grow taller?

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

How expensive, and what do I tell the doctor in order to get it??

i don't know how it'd work if you're older or anything. but my mom is a pediatrician and parents come in all the time asking for HGH (human growth hormone) for their kids (usually around 10-12). you'll probably have to go through a series of tests before they can do it

again, not sure if what they do on people that are older. and if you play HS sports they might do drug testing or something because technically its a steroid.

and the kicker is its really expensive. you need regular injections, so we're talking a couple thousand a year
ohwell.gif

but if you're really interested, you can say something to your doctor about growth hormone the next time you see him

correct. If your older its not gonna help you grow. Basically your just gonna see some muscle growth and some other things but not getting tall. At a youngage of course. Like he said doctors usually give it to kids with health problems, particularly with weak bones or that are very short. Doubt a doctor willactually give it to you, only if you lucky and find a doctor that wont care just as long as you got the money to pay for it.

its completely dumb, one of the dumbest things i've heard. height is determined mainly by genetics, slightly by nutrition.

i'm pretty sure Muggsy Bogues, Allen Iverson, Earl Boykins etc played basketball all their lives and none of them is tall.

cant even fathom how you could believe this

Seriously. "Stretching bones?" Are your bones made of silly putty? Mine certainly can't be stretched.

I'm 6'5" and didn't start growing until Junior high when I started playing basketball everyday, and I was a short chubby kid. Both my parentsare short, and my brothers are very short.

im 6'0". id like to be atleast 6'2" or 6'3" but it aint that big of a deal, im still a pretty good height.

yea i was 2 feet 6 inches when i first started playing basketball.... been growing every since ...now 6 feet 2 inches. This has got to be true
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
seriously this is one of the dumbest things i've read on here

no wonder, i stuck with football so i guess gettin tackled so much compressed my bones, causing my short stocky stature.

laugh.gif

this is utter bull dookie btw.

Originally Posted by BaronDavis5

i don't know how it'd work if you're older or anything. but my mom is a pediatrician and parents come in all the time asking for HGH (human growth hormone) for their kids (usually around 10-12). you'll probably have to go through a series of tests before they can do it

again, not sure if what they do on people that are older. and if you play HS sports they might do drug testing or something because technically its a steroid.

and the kicker is its really expensive. you need regular injections, so we're talking a couple thousand a year
ohwell.gif

but if you're really interested, you can say something to your doctor about growth hormone the next time you see him

correct. If your older its not gonna help you grow. Basically your just gonna see some muscle growth and some other things but not getting tall. At a young age of course. Like he said doctors usually give it to kids with health problems, particularly with weak bones or that are very short. Doubt a doctor will actually give it to you, only if you lucky and find a doctor that wont care just as long as you got the money to pay for it.

I'm 5'6", 20 y.o. , and skinny as hell despite how much I lift and workout. I really think I need it. Do you think they'll give it to me?? Ideally I want to be 5'8" - 5'10"

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

ohwell.gif

correct. If your older its not gonna help you grow. Basically your just gonna see some muscle growth and some other things but not getting tall. At a young age of course. Like he said doctors usually give it to kids with health problems, particularly with weak bones or that are very short. Doubt a doctor will actually give it to you, only if you lucky and find a doctor that wont care just as long as you got the money to pay for it.

I'm 5'6", 20 y.o. , and skinny as hell despite how much I lift and workout. I really think I need it. Do you think they'll give it to me?? Ideally I want to be 5'8" - 5'10"

1. You are 20 yr old, your growth plates are probably near the point where hgh would not affect them much

2. You are 5'6, which isn't exactly abnormally short

3. HgH costs a ton, it's not something every doctor has stashed in their closet

So my guess would be no, they wouldn't give it to you, mostly because of reasons 1 and 2.

4. I'm moving this to S&T.

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

ohwell.gif

lift weights will stunt your growth...ask my friend..he's 5 feet tall and buff as hell...he lift weights in middle school and stopped in high schooland now 4 years after college, his height stayed the same.

rocboys- That's called anecdotal evidence. I could tell you about friends of mine who are 6'6" and lifted since middle school. That provesnothing,

And no evidence has been found that links weightlifting to stunted growth. Squatting or deadlifting super heavy weights at a very young age could, of course,cause bone damage or injury if done improperly, and that could stunt one's growth, but if done correctly it's fine. And let's be honest, how many7th graders do deadlifts anyway?
laugh.gif

I'm 6'4 played ball since 6th grade (Currently Senior in high school) and no one in my family is near my height expect one cousin who plays ball withthe same frequency as me. So this might have some truth to it, and i have stretch marks guess i grew too fast. But i think it playing basketball very oftenwill add some influence your height. Like everyone else has said genetics affects it the most.

Back
Top Bottom