PLEASE HELP!!! MATH QUESTION, TEST UR SKILLS

262
10
Joined Mar 8, 2005
For each time up at bat, a baseball player has a 70% chance of making an out, a 10% chance of getting walked, and a 20% chance of getting a hit. Estimate the probability that , out of 5 at-bats, the player gets at least one hit.

A) About 30%
B) About 70%
C) 100%
D) About 20%
E) About 90%

Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!
 
19,543
5,312
Joined Dec 23, 2009
No homework help, dummy.

And the answer is too obvious for me to even want to help you.
 
2,218
13
Joined Mar 17, 2006
Ummmm...it says he has a 20% chance of getting a hit.  Out of 5 at bats, 1 hit would be 20%.  So what is the probability that he will get a hit 20% of the time? 100%.  It is stated in the question.
 
262
10
Joined Mar 8, 2005
but what if he was walked the 5 at bats then his probability wouldn't be 100%. I know it seems obvious but I am overthinking this and I can't see how it would be 100%. We see baseball players go with streaks like 15 times without hitting the ball.
 
4,083
67
Joined Nov 20, 2003
Originally Posted by eaalto

Ummmm...it says he has a 20% chance of getting a hit.  Out of 5 at bats, 1 hit would be 20%.  So what is the probability that he will get a hit 20% of the time? 100%.  It is stated in the question.


Dude tries to get attitude-y and is so off.
You're saying theres no chance said guy gets walked 5 times or K's 5 times?
 
8,409
41
Joined Dec 1, 2009
Originally Posted by bjm5295

Originally Posted by eaalto

Ummmm...it says he has a 20% chance of getting a hit.  Out of 5 at bats, 1 hit would be 20%.  So what is the probability that he will get a hit 20% of the time? 100%.  It is stated in the question.


Dude tries to get attitude-y and is so off.
You're saying theres no chance said guy gets walked 5 times or K's 5 times?
Wouldn't probability=/=chance
 
2,028
150
Joined Jul 7, 2009
its still 20%. well now i cant decide between 20 and 70

damn, i feel like this problem is so easy but i second guess my answer every time i tell myself it has to be 20%
however, i am 100% positive the answer isnt 100%
 
6,783
18
Joined Dec 29, 2006
Originally Posted by eaalto

Ummmm...it says he has a 20% chance of getting a hit.  Out of 5 at bats, 1 hit would be 20%.  So what is the probability that he will get a hit 20% of the time? 100%.  It is stated in the question.
Have you ever opened a Probability textbook?
 
8,409
41
Joined Dec 1, 2009
Originally Posted by WaveyJonesLocker

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

20%  COH X 5 AB=100% - 70% COO = 30% + (10% COW X 5 AB) = 80% - 10x5 AB= 30%
That's a whole lot of work just to arrive at the wrong answer.
Really?
#1 20%  per at bat multiplied by 5 at bats means he will likeley get a hit. Subtract the 70% K rate you get back to 30%. Of course a walk is as good as a K in this scenario so subtract that 50% you get -20. Add  50 to get 30%







j/k. Good luck OP
 
4,853
10
Joined Jul 30, 2009
Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

Originally Posted by WaveyJonesLocker

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

20%  COH X 5 AB=100% - 70% COO = 30% + (10% COW X 5 AB) = 80% - 10x5 AB= 30%
That's a whole lot of work just to arrive at the wrong answer.
Really?
#1 20%  per at bat multiplied by 5 at bats means he will likeley get a hit. Subtract the 70% K rate you get back to 30%. Of course a walk is as good as a K in this scenario so subtract that 50% you get -20. Add  50 to get 30%

j/k. Good luck OP
Ok, I'm only going to say this once.  The likelihood of him getting a hit doesn't increase the more at bats he has.
Using the heads/tails analogy, would I be more likely to get a tails after 10 consecutive heads? NO!
Therefore, the answer is 20%.
 
5,262
10
Joined Sep 22, 2009
I would help you, but you're trying to do homework on a Saturday night, so you're obviously a lame.
 
Top Bottom