PLEASE HELP!!! MATH QUESTION, TEST UR SKILLS

For each time up at bat, a baseball player has a 70% chance ofmaking an out, a 10% chance of getting walked, and a 20% chance ofgetting a hit. Estimate the probability that , out of 5 at-bats, theplayer gets at least one hit.

A) About 30%
B) About 70%
C) 100%
D) About 20%
E) About 90%

Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

70 percent of getting an out probably meaning him getting strucked out, and 10 percent getting a walk meaning 4 balls no hit. his only chance of hitting is only 20 percent and the likelihood missing is 80 . the probably is 1/5 getting a hit. 1/5 is like 20/100 or 20 percent. i would say him having a percentage of 20 percent. but the question isnt really straightforward with him hitting the ball and making it to first base or him hitting the ball as a foul.

Originally Posted by ThiPham

For each time up at bat, a baseball player has a 70% chance ofmaking an out, a 10% chance of getting walked, and a 20% chance ofgetting a hit. Estimate the probability that , out of 5 at-bats, theplayer gets at least one hit.

A) About 30%
B) About 70%
C) 100%
D) About 20%
E) About 90%

Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

70 percent of getting an out probably meaning him getting strucked out, and 10 percent getting a walk meaning 4 balls no hit. his only chance of hitting is only 20 percent and the likelihood missing is 80 . the probably is 1/5 getting a hit. 1/5 is like 20/100 or 20 percent. i would say him having a percentage of 20 percent. but the question isnt really straightforward with him hitting the ball and making it to first base or him hitting the ball as a foul.
OP, the correct answer is B, about 70%. 
You can listen to me now and enjoy the rest of your weekend, or kick yourself on Monday in school (upon review of the question) for not listening to me.

Me4u2Night -- I hope you're not serious.
laugh.gif

EDIT: If you do not have a sufficient grasp on remedial math, do not mislead this poor youth.
That means you, guy under me.
alien.gif

100%! He hits the ball 20% at bat. That is 1/5. If he bats 5 times, he will hit it once out of those 5 attempts. That's a .200 batting average, right? Anyway, umm.. I'm not sure. 

Originally Posted by WaveyJonesLocker

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

20%  COH X 5 AB=100% - 70% COO = 30% + (10% COW X 5 AB) = 80% - 10x5 AB= 30%
roll.gif
That's a whole lot of work just to arrive at the wrong answer.
Really?
#1 20%  per at bat multiplied by 5 at bats means he will likeley get a hit. Subtract the 70% K rate you get back to 30%. Of course a walk is as good as a K in this scenario so subtract that 50% you get -20. Add  50 to get 30%
eyes.gif

j/k. Good luck OP
Ok, I'm only going to say this once.  The likelihood of him getting a hit doesn't increase the more at bats he has.
Using the heads/tails analogy, would I be more likely to get a tails after 10 consecutive heads? NO!
Therefore, the answer is 20%.

It's not asking for the probability that he hits the ball on his fifth at bat; it's asking that given he has 5 at bats, what's the probability he gets at least one hit. 

The answer is 1-(.8 )^5 = approx 70%

well OBVIOUSLY the answer isn't 20% or 100% OP, please tell me you at least understand that. If not I wish you well on other tests.

Just making an educated guess I'd say 30%.

let's see if I can remember how to work this out...
frown.gif

1.0 is the whole
.2 is the probability of getting a hit which means there's a .8 chance of NOT getting a hit.

After thinking about it for a while, I believe the equation might be something like:
1- (1-P)^# at bats

so 1-(1-.2)^5
(.
glasses.gif
^5, which equals .32768

1-.32768 = .67232

so if that's right the answer would be about 70%.
Those would be my only 2 possibilities right there, and if this were a test and I was answering, I'd go with my 70% answer.
none of the other 3 answers make sense really. I wasn't gonna post at all in here with the whole no homework rule/I'm on spring break, but there were so many random answers floating around I knew you were lost
laugh.gif

hope I helped/was right, I didn't look up %*## and I just woke up, can't be no worse though

probability that batter gets AT LEAST one hit out of 5: P(X>=1)

probability that he gets NONE out of 5: P(X=0)

P(X>=1) = 1 - P(X=0) = 1 - ( .8 )^5

people have said this before me, im just trying to make it clearer.

Me4u2Night -- I hope you're not serious.
laugh.gif

EDIT: If you do not have a sufficient grasp on remedial math, do not mislead this poor youth.
That means you, guy under me.
alien.gif

Yea, I'm very serious... 
smokin.gif

Some of you guys are missing the part where it says he'll get "at least one hit." So no it's not 20%.

Back
Top Bottom