Please lock.

Paulie is gonna have a long, long career as an analyst. Very good at it IMO.

This.

I've never been a big fan of Paulie in his fights because the lack of power. Always thought he was super douchey based on his blow out and all.

Since hearing him as an analyst/commentator my opinion has completely changed. He is awesome and brings so much to the table compared to a lot of the others they allow to do the same job.

Raised in NYC...I, truly, find Paulie's accent insufferable to listen to.

I don't know why, the man is on point, but he just sounds terrible to me.

Pauli keeping it real as always.
Brian Kenny, I'm putting you On My prayer request list when I go back to church
laugh.gif

Cotto would be a much better fight for Canelo.  Hate to see Cotto take that L though.

I don't think that Lara ran.
He did dance, and that was dope the first 3 rounds. Stick and move clinic.
When those body shots started settling in; he stopped sticking and was only moving.
So he lost

Last edited:
The 117-111 fight seemed ridiculous but if you think about how close some of those rounds are, it isn't the most far fetch thing int he world to think it all went to Canelos side? Especially if the judge preferred the more aggressive style.

I honestly had no clue who won that fight afterwards. Lara ran more than he hit Canelo and Canelo hit the air more than Lara.

The 117-111 fight seemed ridiculous but if you think about how close some of those rounds are, it isn't the most far fetch thing int he world to think it all went to Canelos side? Especially if the judge preferred the more aggressive style.

I honestly had no clue who won that fight afterwards. Lara ran more than he hit Canelo and Canelo hit the air more than Lara.

117-111 means Canelo won every round after the third. Because Lara clearly won the first 3.

9 rounds to 3.
No way Jose

I guess you're right. Dan Rafael from ESPN does have it for Canelo at 116-112, he had it even through 6 and I think he only gave the 11th to Lara afterwards. So again I think some of those rounds that could be 50-50 just went to the more aggressive fighter?

All I know is Laras right hip is gon' be sore, that probably got the most beating from Canelo.

Last edited:
. What did Paulie say?
Basically, what many of us said in here:

- Judge had it scored before it started

- No problem with Canelo winning

- Fight was close

- Lara lost the rounds where he moved around a lot, but he wasn't "running" the whole fight

- What should factor into scoring rounds (mentioned Lara beating Canelo in "ring generalship")

Basically, what many of us said in here:

- Judge had it scored before it started
- No problem with Canelo winning
- Fight was close
- Lara lost the rounds where he moved around a lot, but he wasn't "running" the whole fight
- What should factor into scoring rounds (mentioned Lara beating Canelo in "ring generalship")
Paulie gonna get in trouble running his mouth like that. Almost lost his job after the Broner fight.

That Kameda KO was :x :pimp:

Herrera and Perez was pretty good.

Juanma Lopez needs to hang 'em up.

Surprised that Mares stuck with game plan and boxed the entire fight.

117-111 :smh:

My stream didn't start until the Herrera fight so I missed the first 2. Then I got hyped and went ahead and paid for the PPV, glad I did. It hated I missed the first fights though

Smh at boxing. This is why I don't take the sport serious anymore. Noway in the world Canelo won that fight. That was either a draw or Lara won a close decision period. Lara controlled the pace and tempo of entire fight basically. A lot of Canelo's body shots hit elbows, thighs and nuts. He did do come good body work but you do not when a fight on body shots alone. That has never happened in the entire history of boxing. Lara landed the cleaner shots that you know without a shadow of a doubt landed.  Boxing is such a at times.

Smh at boxing. This is why I don't take the sport serious anymore. Noway in the world Canelo won that fight. That was either a draw or Lara won a close decision period. Lara controlled the pace and tempo of entire fight basically. A lot of Canelo's body shots hit elbows, thighs and nuts. He did do come good body work but you do not when a fight on body shots alone. That has never happened in the entire history of boxing. Lara landed the cleaner shots that you know without a shadow of a doubt landed.  Boxing is such a at times.

So Lara controlled the fight when he backed off and did absolutely nothing?

So Lara controlled the fight when he backed off and did absolutely nothing?
He did absolutely nothing in maybe 2 or 3 rounds. A fight is 12 rounds though right? So the 9 other rounds what did he do? He was circling making Canelo miss and making Canelo fight the fight that he wanted him to so yes he controlled the fight.

Close fight but I knew Lara was never going to get the decision against Canelo unless he absolutely dominated the fight. I was really impressed with Canelo's body work, but It seems that certain judges and fans don't appreciate the diversity of styles in boxing and that is a sad thing. Canelo was more aggressive than Lara, but Lara was making him miss all night it seems that certain judges will award guys rounds just for being more aggressive (without landing much) which is contrary to how fights are supposed to be judged. :smh:. I'm not saying Canelo didn't win the fight but scores like the 117-111 are poor form and look suspect.

He did absolutely nothing in maybe 2 or 3 rounds. A fight is 12 rounds though right? So the 9 other rounds what did he do? He was circling making Canelo miss and making Canelo fight the fight that he wanted him to so yes he controlled the fight.

I felt the same way, had it 7-5 Lara. Canelo looked pretty bad in this fight imo. You can make the argument that disengaging and moving away is bad ring generalship (I think it's debatable Lara did this at times, and in 2-3 rounds Lara did not engage at all), but just as bad, and possibly even worse is swinging at air in place and showing no ability to cut off the ring or use aggression effectively. I actually thought the first couple of rounds was pretty embarrassing for Canelo. He walked around flat footed swinging at air while getting completely outboxed. Lara dictated most of the action throughout the fight (besides a few middle rounds and the start of the last one) with his movement and for all of Canelo's pressure' and 'body work' that the announcers so badly wanted to emphasize, he only threw about 2 punches a round more than Lara. If Lara 'lost' bc he wasn't busy enough, Canelo throwing 2 punches a round more was the difference? Had Canelo used his legs at all and cut off the ring to dictate any action, I could understand the argument that he was the aggressor, but he didn't. He just plodded forward and got touched more cleanly for most of the night.

That being said, Lara had Canelo walking in straight at him but didn't pull the trigger as much as he could have. I thought he clearly deserved the decision, but knowing GBP's history of getting judges in their pocket, and knowing he'd have a pro-canelo crowd, he only has himself to blame for not winning this fight without any questions or controversy. Maybe he was afraid of Canelo's power, maybe he was overconfident, or maybe he was just being stupid, but I can't understand why he didn't throw more as Canelo walked in. Canelo wasn't coming at angles with speed or footwork like Tyson or even Hatton, he just walked straight forward. It could have been an incredibly easy night for Lara, but he's going to have to live with this decision because he didn't let his hands go.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom