Please lock.

This fight is a joke period end of sentence. Your answer to that is "well Mayweather had a BS fight in 2011"
How does that change the fact that Pac is fighting an opponent that is a step down from what we expect? May /Pac don't have to be in the same sentence all of the time.

Bringing up Berto, Guerrerro, and Ortiz doesn't help your cause.

Algieri beat the guys that was supposed to get this fight so he deserves this fight.

I got Algieri.

Last edited:
This fight is a joke period end of sentence. Your answer to that is "well Mayweather had a BS fight in 2011"
How does that change the fact that Pac is fighting an opponent that is a step down from what we expect? May /Pac don't have to be in the same sentence all of the time.

Bringing up Berto, Guerrerro, and Ortiz doesn't help your cause.

Tell me who Pac could have fought?

Algieir lacks experience at this level, but I am interested in seeing how Pacquiao deals with his size and style.

Last edited:
I think so, I am disappointed. They could've showed us a lot more.

Btw, I've been thinking about the Ali-Abregu fight a lot lately. Initially I thought Abregu is going to stop Ali, but now I'm thinking Ali has a good chance of winning by decision.

Rooting for Ali hope he wins this is his first big test.

I really hope Hopkins wins this saturday would be a great win if he does. i actually think he can pull off the upset just a hunch

Algeiri fight is going to be one sided if a slow Provodnikov can catch Algeiri then Pacquiao fast hands are going to win him a decision. i agree with @Goldenchild9 that this is kind of a joke of a fight and when Pacquaio wins they will say that he defeated a good boxer and that he would do the same to Mayweather lol even though he won't and never would have. I do believe that Algeiri deserved the fight based on his win over Provodnikov but Algeiri doesn't strike me as the type to hurt Manny or win a decision in Macau.

Algieri beat the guys that was supposed to get this fight so he deserves this fight.

I got Algieri.

Ruslan vs Pac wouldn't have happened anyway.

Too much risk for Pac, trained by the same guy (I know Somodio probably would have trained Ruslan), if Ruslan won there would be tension at Wild Card.

Last edited:
Idk about tension, Rus and Pac are nice guys out of the ring. Very cordial with people and other fighters.

I need to see Provodnikov/Rios. Two guys that throw bombs and never go down.

Idk about tension, Rus and Pac are nice guys out of the ring. Very cordial with people and other fighters.

I need to see Provodnikov/Rios. Two guys that throw bombs and never go down.

Tension between Pacs people and Ruslan. Roach probably wouldn't want to train Ruslan anymore.

Wild Card is the house that Pacquiao built.

From what I remember Ruslan said he'd find another trainer to prepare him for that fight, he really wanted that fight and was expected to get it had he beaten Algieri

Nothing too big this past weekend.

Weekend wrap up:

A roundup of the past week's notable boxing results from around the world:

Saturday at Chicago
Andrzej Fonfara W10 Doudou Ngumbu
Light heavyweight
Scores: 98-92, 97-93 (twice)
Records: Fonfara (26-3, 15 KOs); Ngumbu (33-6, 12 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: In May, Fonfara challenged light heavyweight world champion Adonis Stevenson, traveling to his turf in Montreal and giving him the fight of his life, which was a huge surprise. Stevenson was expected to roll over Fonfara, 26, a native of Poland living in Chicago, where he has developed a solid fan base because of the heavy Polish population and his fan-friendly style. Although Stevenson dominated the first seven rounds and scored two knockdowns, Fonfara put together a huge rally. He dropped Stevenson in the ninth round and had him in a ton of trouble before losing a unanimous decision.

Fighting for the first time since that surprisingly competitive fight, Fonfara fought in front of the home crowd when he faced the unknown and unaccomplished Ngumbu, 32, a native of Congo, who fights out of France. Ngumbu was awkward and aggressive with his wild, looping punches, but Fonfara adjusted and found his rhythm by the third round.

But Fonfara was pushed hard by the rugged Ngumbu in a hard-fought bout, during which Fonfara said he injured his right hand in the fourth round. That is the same hand he had surgery on in 2013, but he was undeterred in the second half of the fight. The ailing hand could have been the reason Fonfara seemed to ease off Ngumbu a bit in the fifth round after staggering him and sending him into the ropes with a big left hook to the chin. Fonfara threw several right hands during the follow-up attack but quickly abandoned going after him hard, perhaps because of the pain in his hand.

Ngumbu, who was fighting in the United States for the first time, was in serious trouble but survived the round. Fonfara, even with a bum hand, appeared to be the heavier puncher and was wearing Ngumbu down though Ngumbu was landing his fair share of blows in return in what was an entertaining fight. According to CompuBox, Fonfara landed 173 of 558 punches (31 percent) and Ngumbu connected on 110 of 343 (32 percent). Fonfara also landed more power shots (127) than Ngumbu landed total punches.

With the well-deserved win in the bank, Fonfara -- who could help himself with a little more head movement and defense -- is hopeful of an eventual rematch with Stevenson, although that seems unlikely, even though they are both with adviser Al Haymon, who signed Fonfara after his loss to Stevenson.

Tomoki Kameda W12 Alejandro Hernandez
Retains a bantamweight title
Scores: 115-113 (twice) Kameda, 115-113 Hernandez
Records: Kameda (31-0, 19 KOs); Hernandez (28-11-2, 15 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: Kameda, 23, of Japan, along with older brothers Koki and Daiki, are the only trio of brothers to hold world titles simultaneously. Tomoki, however, might be the best of three.

He made his American debut in July in Las Vegas and impressively knocked out Pungluang Sor Singyu on the Canelo Alvarez-Erislandy Lara undercard. With plans to continue fighting in the United States now that he is with adviser Al Haymon, Kameda made his third title defense against interim titlist and mandatory challenger Hernandez, 28, of Mexico.

Although the scores were surprisingly close, Kameda appeared to roll to a fairly one-sided win. He was quick with his punches and showed good movement against the much slower Hernandez and used his size to push Hernandez around and land far more punches. If Hernandez had any success it came over the last few rounds of the fight.

Perhaps the judges were swayed by Hernandez's activity, although it was quite ineffective.

According to CompuBox, Kameda landed 217 of 564 punches (38 percent) and Hernandez connected on 157 of 815 blows (19 percent).

Kameda, who has been living and training in Mexico for several years but plans to move to Las Vegas, was troubled by the first cut of his career as a wound opened over his left eye during the ninth round. The cut was obviously bothering him, but he was able to deal with it, although it was after the cut happened that Hernandez, a former flyweight and junior bantamweight world title challenger, had his best moments of the fight. Kameda got a bit conservative after getting cut, but the scores were still too close and the scorecard that actually had Hernandez winning was a joke.

Although Kameda won, he did not make the kind of statement he hoped to. He said going into the fight that he wanted to be a superstar. He's a good fighter, but this was not a superstar-making performance or even close to it. But what the victory did do was secure a 118-pound title unification bout against Jamie McDonnell (24-2-1, 11 KOs) of England in early 2015. McDonnell has already signed for the fight, which will take place in the U.S. Kameda's team was waiting for him to get through the fight with Hernandez before finalizing their end of the deal. McDonnell also must get through a Nov. 22 defense against Walberto Ramos (23-6-2, 16 KOs) of Colombia on the Nathan Cleverly-Tony Bellew undercard at the Echo Arena in Liverpool, England.

Also on the card, three-division titlist Koki Kameda (33-1, 18 KOs), 27, of Japan, who vacated his bantamweight world title earlier in the year to move down in weight, made his American debut and scored a fourth-round knockout of Omar Salado (24-9-2, 15 KOs), 34, of Mexico, in a junior bantamweight fight. Kameda is the mandatory challenger for a shot at 115-pound titlist Kohei Kono of Japan. Salado lost his third fight in a row by knockout to a name opponent (Kameda, Edgar Sosa and Moises Fuentes).

In another undercard bout, super middleweight Caleb Truax (25-1-2, 15 KOs), 31, of Osseo, Minnesota, whose only loss was by decision to Jermain Taylor (whom he knocked down), scored an eighth-round knockout of overmatched Scott Sigmon (24-6-1, 13 KOs), 27, of Bedford, Virginia.

Javier Fortuna KO5 Abner Cotto
Junior lightweight
Records: Fortuna (26-0-1, 19 KOs); Cotto (18-3, 8 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: Fortuna, 25, of the Dominican Republic, and Cotto, 27, of Puerto Rico, put on a dirty and foul-ridden fight - both guys were docked points by referee Lou Hall -- until Fortuna scored the clean knockout in a bout that was more WWE than professional boxing.

Fortuna, a speedy southpaw and former interim featherweight titlist, established himself right out of the gate, wobbling Cotto with right hands in a big first round. Fortuna continued to strafe Cotto with shots early in the second round and it looked like it was on the verge of a stoppage. And that's when things got really dirty and wild.

Cotto landed two right hands way behind Fortuna's head and knocked him down. Hall, who had a bad night, incredibly ruled it a knockdown as he issued Fortuna an eight-count. Then he also deducted a point from Cotto for the rabbit-punching in a very strange sequence.

In the fourth round, Cotto continued with the dirty tactics, getting warned by Hall for hitting Fortuna twice with low blows. And then, moments after the warning, he cracked Fortuna below the belt again to send him to the canvas and Hall took another point from him. After the bell ended the fourth round, an obviously aggravated Fortuna swung a wild right hand at Cotto. The punch clearly missed. It didn't touch him. But Cotto took a step and then, under direction from his trainer, acted as though it landed and went down to the canvas face first. It was absolutely ridiculous, but Hall bought the nonsense hook, line and sinker and took a point from Fortuna in a gross error.

Fortuna continued to whack away at Cotto and landed a really hard left hand on the chin that he never saw and dropped him face first in the fifth round and Hall counted him out at 1 minute, 32 seconds. Fouls aside, Fortuna put on an excellent performance. Cotto, not so much. Fortuna is probably on his way to an eventual 130-pound world title shot. Cotto, 27, of Puerto Rico, a cousin of middleweight champion Miguel Cotto, has lost three of his last five fights and is basically nothing more than an opponent this point.

"He was a dirty fighter, but I took care of him," Fortuna said. "He got in my face after the fourth but my punch didn't land. That was a flop. I want to fight the best at 130 pounds. I know Mickey Garcia [vacated his title and] went up in weight but I'll fight him at any weight he wants."

Saturday at Caguas, Puerto Rico
Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. W8 Jonathan Arellano
Featherweight
Scores: 78-74, 77-75, 76-76
Records: Vazquez Jr. (24-4-1, 19 KOs); Arellano (15-5-2, 3 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: Vazquez, 30, of Puerto Rico, won a junior featherweight world title in 2010 and made two defenses before being stopped in the 12th round by Jorge Arce in an upset May 2011. Vazquez blamed his father and trainer, Puerto Rican great and three-division titleholder Wilfredo Vazquez Sr., for the loss because he was upset that his dad had stopped the fight. Vazquez said the loss made him lose all confidence and although he continued to train with his father things were not good between them in the gym and the results showed. Including the Arce fight, Vazquez went 3-4 in a seven-fight span, including a decision loss challenging then-junior featherweight titlist Nonito Donaire in 2012 and 10-round decision loss to former junior bantamweight titlist Marvin Sonsona in June. Vazquez Jr. did not work his father for that fight, but in the wake of the defeat they reunited. Wilfredo Jr. said he had matured and that he and his father had a new understanding of each other. He also signed with Miguel Cotto's promotional company, further giving him confidence.

Whether it was confidence or that Vazquez is just a better fighter, he outpointed Arellano, 27, of Ontario, California, who has lost three of his last four bouts, going the distance each time. The scores probably were a little too close for comfort, however, for Vazquez, who was given only a majority decision.

The fight had good action, especially in the second round when they fiercely traded. Arellano roughed Vazquez up a bit late in the round, rocking him with a left hook that momentarily buckled his legs. But Vazquez got himself back together quickly and outworked Arellano through most of the fight to win a close, but deserved, decision. Vazquez is hoping to eventually challenge for a featherweight world title.

In the co-feature, junior lightweight prospect Alberto Machado (9-0, 7 KOs), 34, of Puerto Rico, knocked out countryman Alvin Torres (7-2-2, 5 KOs), 27, with a right hand to the chin at 2 minutes, 25 seconds of the second round.

Saturday at Washington, D.C.
Dusty Hernandez-Harrison KO1 Michael Clark
Welterweight
Records: Hernandez-Harrison (24-0, 13 KOs); Clark (44-12-1, 18 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: Hernandez-Harrison, a 20-year-old prospect from Washington, D.C., fought in his hometown for the first time in 18 months in a fight delayed from Sept. 27 because he injured his ankle in training and the fight was postponed. Because of the new date, the opponent also changed, so instead of facing journeyman Hector Munoz (25-13-1, 15 KOs) he was instead matched with 41-year-old Clark of Columbus, Ohio. The result was as predictable as the sun rising in the East and setting in the West -- an easy, early blowout knockout.

Clark, who has lost four in a row and five of his last six by knockout, including three in the first round, doesn't even bother to try anymore in his fights. He also missed weight for the fight by two pounds. So that Hernandez-Harrison took him out easily was expected, even if the 2,900 or so at the Constitution Hall had come to see him take care of business.

Hernandez-Harrison jabbed his way in, worked to the body and then ended the fight with a right hand at 1 minute, 42 seconds as Clark could not beat referee Joe Cooper's count. According to promoter Jeff Fried, Hernandez-Harrison will next fight on a Jan. 9 card in the works.

Friday at Crestmead, Australia
Malik Scott W10 Alex Leapai
Heavyweight
Scores: 100-90, 99-91, 97-92
Records: Scott (37-2-1, 13 KOs); Leapai (30-6-3, 24 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: In March, Scott, 34, of Philadelphia, got knocked out in the first round by Deontay Wilder in a title elimination bout in which many thought Scott did not even try. Unable to get any sort of notable fight in the United States because of that result, not to mention a career of being in terribly boring fights, Scott jumped at the first opportunity, accepting the assignment in Australia, Leapai's home country.

Dedicating the fight to his late promoter, Dan Goossen, who died on Sept. 29, Scott rolled to victory in a dominant performance against the 35-year-old Leapai. Scott used his four-inch height advantage to repeatedly tag Leapai.

"This one was for Dan," Scott said after the fight. "I was inspired throughout my training to win this fight for him. It wasn't a difficult fight for me. I stuck to my game plan and got him running into my combinations. Dominated the fight from the opening bell."

Leapai suffered his second consecutive loss. On April, 26, he was outgunned in a one-sided fifth-round destruction challenging world champion Wladimir Klitschko in Germany.

Friday at Melbourne, Australia
Billy Dib KO8 Ruben Manakane
Junior lightweight
Records: Dib (38-3, 22 KOs); Manakane (14-12-1, 9 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: Last November, Australia's Dib, 29, got knocked out in the ninth round challenging featherweight world titleholder Evgeny Gradovich in a rematch of the March 2013 fight in which Gradovich won a split decision against Dib to take his world title. Moving up to 130 pounds, Dib returned in July for a 10-round decision win against Alberto Garza and scored his second win in a row by stopping Manakane, 21, of Indonesia.

Dib dominated the fight (although neither man threw many punches in a relatively action-free bout) and swelled up Manakane's face despite suffering from flu-like symptoms in the days leading up to the bout. Dib ended matters when he put Manakane down for the count on a right hand near his ear in the eighth round.

There are a bunch of fights this weekend (11/8) but I am just going to put Hopkins/Kovalev in the title. Check out the first post for the rest of them.

Hopkins isn't going to get knocked out cold. It'll probably be a corner or ref stoppage. Maybe even him quitting. I wonder how Chavez Jr got around his deal with Arum. Who is Haymon going to put him against...Anthony Dirrell?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom