'Plus-Sized' College Student Claims Discrimination at Bar *UPDATE Fatty had stage dismantled SMH

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

jordan-ramos.jpg

A self-described "plus sized" college student who was told she was "obviously pregnant" and "not pretty enough" to dance on a platform in a bar in Iowa is claiming she was discriminated against by the bar's bouncers.

Jordan Ramos, a 21-year-old University of Iowa student said she went to Union Bar in Iowa City, Iowa with her friends on March 3. She said she tried to get onto a platform where several of her friends were dancing, but was stopped by the bouncer, who said they were at capacity.

Ramos said she waited until a few girls left, and again tried to go up. She was stopped again, which she said prompted her to ask, "What is the difference between the other girls up there and myself?"

"There was only one difference: I am a plus-sized individual. The bouncer said 'Look, you will never get up on this platform. Go back to the dance floor where you belong,'" Ramos told ABC News.

Ramos said a friend of hers tried to talk to the manager, but he refused to talk to her. The manager told them to leave, Ramos said. She sent the manager an email, which she says was never answered.

A social work professor at the University of Iowa told Ramos to return to the bar.

"She told my friends and I to go back and see if the same thing happens and to try to get them to say aloud 'I am not allowing you up because of your size,'" Ramos said.

On April 14, Ramos returned to the Union Bar with a group of friends. Ramos' friends, who she said are all thin, were able to get up on the platform easily. But Ramos was blocked from entering, she said.

Ramos asked the bouncer repeatedly why she could not dance on the platform.

"He said, 'You're not pretty enough and you're pregnant.' I said, 'I can tell you with 100 percent certainty that I am not pregnant.' He then looked at my stomach and said, 'You obviously are.' They knew I was not pregnant; it was there way of calling me fat without having to actually say it," Ramos said.

Ramos approached the Human Rights Commission in Iowa City, but the organization told her they could not do an investigation because size discrimination is not illegal by law, Ramos said.

Union Bar did not immediately return a call for comment from ABC News.

The bouncer was looking for the welfare of the entire group on that stage.

The mini beluga would have destroyed it and consequently would have hurt everyone.

Man, they are just looking out for the safety of the people around the bar. Do you know how slippery bar tops are? One slip and she's taking out at least 5 people.

C'mon now.

She knows her big $%% shouldn't be dancing on nobody'stage.

75b355ad408761b7faef662f48229806bd4c569.gif

Just sit in the corner and wait for a thirsty southern black dude to get at you.

I'm black, if that matters.[emoji]174[/emoji]

Originally Posted by ShadyKay NT

The bouncer was looking for the welfare of the entire group on that stage.

The mini beluga would have destroyed it and consequently would have hurt everyone.
this, plus u cant have meg griffin up there dancing, ppl tryna enjoy theselfess

ok and..

I could see if they didn't let her in the club, but not on the stage. Pull your head out your vajayjay. Shes just mad because that jolted her out of her fantasy world.

Every guy she turned down that night should sue her.

What's this chick gonna do, organize rallies on campus? Occupy Union Bar? Who gives a **@*?

If she's looked like that her whole life, she should probably know the deal by now...

Bouncer also did the right thing.

Say he allows this hungry-hungry hippo up on the stage...it collapses, hurts 5-6 people.

Say hello to a lawsuit. Lesser of two evils.

There are some Ls in life you must take and forget about. You don't broadcast them to the world

with that said,
roll.gif

Her friends should have got off the damn platform and chilled with her or left the bar with her. But definitely an L for putting your business out there.

Back
Top Bottom