poor quality=high price? question about the CDP IV's

Why are the CDP IV's going for $200-$250 everywhere I look? and at the same time I see them continually bashed for their poor quality? I love the IV andhave been thinking of copping a pair of the CDP's or awaiting a retro late next year. But, this just baffles me, why so pricey and at the same timenotorious for poor craftsmanship and materials?

People really love the Black/Red IV.

Same can be said for the Carmines and CDP XI. The quality on those sucks too, but they look good.

As long as they look good, the price will continue to be high. Ridiculous!
smh.gif

And now I'm reading these rumors of the III's and IV's retroing in late 2010 and being around $210 a pair for "higher quality" retros,what's up with that? Anyone else heard anything similar or solid in this line?

Anyone think the VI's that retro in January, March, and May will be higher quality than the recent retros? or mediocre? any improvement or declineanticipated?

i wish i could get a size 9 DEADSTOCK ONLY pair for $200.00 or less for a meet up in only in manhattan

In the summer of 2008 i could have got a extra pair for $155.00 and i passed like a idiot

Because it came from a CDP which probably cost the person $310 to buy.
19s are not popular, so to make a profit they place the Black/Red 4 at $200.

Just because a shoe is worth $200 wont mean it will sell at 200.
And your logic of poor quality=high price is an understatement.

I purchased the Doernbecher 6s, and they have been one of the best quality released Jordans in 3-4 years. Quote me.
And they are pretty high priced.

Originally Posted by NomadicSole21

Just because a shoe is worth someone is asking for $200 wont mean it will sell at they'll get 200.
Worth is determined by what people are willing to pay, so if it was actually worth $200, they'd get the $200. However, there is a differencebetween someone's asking price (what they think it's worth), and what the actual market value of something is. That's when you see a product just sit there, or continuously get relisted.

As for why some of these shoes go for so much, the surface answers are easy, and obvious ones, but to understand the mindset of why this is, you have to look deeper than the act of buying the shoes, which can get complex. Since this country hasno homogeneous, unified culture of it's own, Americans live and thrive on hype and pop culture, clinging to anything that might give them a sense ofidentity (i.e. being part of the sneaker subculture). The need to identify with something will often cause one to make excuses to justify the wrong doings ofthat which they identify with, and thus, continue to validate that identity as legitimate. For example, "hardcore" fans of certain bands whodon't like the latest material from that band will often find ways to "let them slide", i.e. "it'll grow on me/you", or"it's pure genius, so we can't fully grasp it". Same with the shoe subculture. Many are so determined to be part of that subculture, thatthey will excuse (and subsequently, continue to buy, thus perpetuating the cycle) the poor quality and lack-luster end results of the current products.

Now obviously not everyone fits into the above category. That is what seems to split the crowd that refuses to buy up anything with Jordan on it, vs. thosethat say the "OG Jordanheads" are exaggerating the quality issues, or b*tching too much about colors and materials not matching the originals, orneed to accept the prices and what we're given nowadays. "It is what it is", as they like to say. Those that are obsessed with being a partof/identifying with the subculture will swallow anything to get that feeling of satisfaction, while those that appreciate the subject matter of the subculturemore so than the subculture itself will go on a hunger strike before they digest the mediocrity they are being fed.

CDP IV's are great quality wise..i dunno where ya gettin ya stories from.....

and i made NO qualms paying 200 straight to separate a package from footco when they had em....black and red IVs are one of da most iconic jordans in da entireseries.

i been on niketalk long enuff when da demand of da 99 IV's reached to over 450 and this caused da bootleggers to release "super variants" thathad alot of NTer fooled.

these will only go up as JB makes apparent that they will not re-release models that were included in da CDP boxes separately for a LONG time.

been lookin for a pair for a decent price for the past 6-8 months.
Almost lucked up on a pair for $150 shipped but they were already sold...
I'm a 9 if that matters...

Originally Posted by ninjahood

and i made NO qualms paying 200 straight to separate a package from footco when they had em....black and red IVs are one of da most iconic jordans in da entire series.

i been on niketalk long enuff when da demand of da 99 IV's reached to over 450 and this caused da bootleggers to release "super variants" that had alot of NTer fooled.

these will only go up as JB makes apparent that they will not re-release models that were included in da CDP boxes separately for a LONG time.
paper thin nubuck that fades quick.

my damn Mars Blackmon and Military Blues have lasted me longer than my cdp 4's when it comes to paint chipping and cracking.

im not some dude who doesnt take of of my shoes.

Anomaly is that dude

pimp.gif

For those that read his reply in its entirety you understand that he hit the nail on the head....

Originally Posted by Mercenary X

Same can be said for the Carmines and CDP XI. The quality on those sucks too, but they look good.

smh.gif

Carmine quality was great, idk what your talking about. I rock mine all the time and they still in good shape

I luv my 99's and my CDP iv's.....black iv's are classic...and like ninjahood said,these prolly won't be retro'd for a very long time...ina few more years they will prolly be higher than they are now...

Originally Posted by foe the love of money

Originally Posted by ninjahood

and i made NO qualms paying 200 straight to separate a package from footco when they had em....black and red IVs are one of da most iconic jordans in da entire series.

i been on niketalk long enuff when da demand of da 99 IV's reached to over 450 and this caused da bootleggers to release "super variants" that had alot of NTer fooled.

paper thin nubuck that fades quick.

my damn Mars Blackmon and Military Blues have lasted me longer than my cdp 4's when it comes to paint chipping and cracking.

im not some dude who doesnt take of of my shoes.
da durabuck is comparable to any other nike/JB that uses da same material.

i've worn my pair plenty of time and if anything...

jordan_iv_grey.jpg

these dropped years and years before da CDP IV's and suffer from greater cracking problems yet you hear NO one talkin about da quality of these.

Originally Posted by rojanjon

And now I'm reading these rumors of the III's and IV's retroing in late 2010 and being around $210 a pair for "higher quality" retros, what's up with that? Anyone else heard anything similar or solid in this line?

Anyone think the VI's that retro in January, March, and May will be higher quality than the recent retros? or mediocre? any improvement or decline anticipated?

$210? I stopped reading there
smh.gif

Originally Posted by xJoRDaNHeaD

Originally Posted by Mercenary X

smh.gif

Carmine quality was great, idk what your talking about. I rock mine all the time and they still in good shape
I know what I'm talking about.

Your pair might be good, but mines wasn't. So yeh, I know what I'm talking about bub.

carmines were good money, you sound like you didn't own em or you're judging em on things thats unfair (yellowed soles thats inevitable, JB logo, etc)

Own them, then took it back.

Mine came yellowed, and the stitching was bad and all that. I don't keep Jordans that are all messed up like that.

I only said the Carmines we're bad because they had terrible terrible stitching, yellowed, and the tongue was way too short. Mines was bad, yall were good,just judging on what I see.

Sorry about your pair of carmines....I bought 2 pair and the quality of mine were great...worn one pair a dozen of times and still lookin good...I'm eventhinking about a 3rd pair..lol..luv that shoe

peoples definitions of quality is different i guess....i dont consider a few bad stitches and yellowing a quality issue.....i consider quality the type ofmaterials used and the overall durability of the shoe....all shoes have imperfections

I just paid $280 shipped for a sz 11.5 from a seller on eBay, I've been searching for these for a good month my limit was $220 shipped and I just said ahwhat the hell I work enough overtime to throw a xtra $60, they are one of my grails and a excellent christmas present to
myself

Still have my pair on ice, probably wont wear them anytime soon due to a high amout of black/red Jordans in my collection.

Back
Top Bottom