Post Your Bikes...

This is when it was singlespeed. It's fixed now and has a new crankset and cages/straps

1zexfmc.jpg

found this by a dumpster next to my work, its a mongoose switchback, it has flat tires and rusty hardware, ima paint it flat black. how much would it cost tomake it a single speed?

Originally Posted by ludex360

found this by a dumpster next to my work, its a mongoose switchback, it has flat tires and rusty hardware, ima paint it flat black. how much would it cost to make it a single speed?

Be careful of old bikes cuz they might have hairline cracks. I've heard stories of bike frames breaking into pieces while it was being ridden
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Capo617

Danscomp is pretty much the best site for quality BMX bikes. Average weight for beginner bikes is like 28-30 lbs. average is around like 25-28 lbs. And one with all top of the line parts and stuff would probably be around 24 and under.
That place is about 10 miles from my house.

My bike:

Wifey's ride. She wanted me to add that it has a great bell on the handlebars:

I need a little info. I am not familiar with what a "fixie" is. From reading some of your posts it sounds like a single gear bike that you have topedal non-stop (no ability to coast). Is that correct?

^ yeah, you're basically right. The cog is screwed right onto the hub so there's no freewheel mechanism.

Originally Posted by Purple Face

found this by a dumpster next to my work, its a mongoose switchback, it has flat tires and rusty hardware, ima paint it flat black. how much would it cost to make it a single speed?

Be careful of old bikes cuz they might have hairline cracks. I've heard stories of bike frames breaking into pieces while it was being ridden
laugh.gif

Unlikely - the frame is steel and steel doesn't fail spectacularly like aluminum can.
Wouldn't cost much to make it a single speed - the easiestway would be to just remove the derailleurs and put the chain round one of the rings on the front and pick the cog on the cassette that would make a fairlystraight chainline.

All you would need to do is pull a few bits off and shorten the chain so it wouldn't really cost anything.

Originally Posted by kdwallace

Originally Posted by Purple Face

laugh.gif

Unlikely - the frame is steel and steel doesn't fail spectacularly like aluminum can.
Wouldn't cost much to make it a single speed - the easiest way would be to just remove the derailleurs and put the chain round one of the rings on the front and pick the cog on the cassette that would make a fairly straight chainline.

All you would need to do is pull a few bits off and shorten the chain so it wouldn't really cost anything.

is there a store that i can just buy a new gear and cog or what ever, im also looking for new handle bars, thanks for your help

^ yeah, you're basically right. The cog is screwed right onto the hub so there's no freewheel mechanism.
Thanks for the info!

What advantage does that offer?

got bored today so i stripped it down, im having trouble taking off the pedal, ima paint it next weekend

I need help with my project, having some trouble taking off the cranks. any tips?

^ are you using a crank puller? Easy with one of those.

If you have a modern chainset you need to have a different one - but with one of those and a decent sized wrench it's pretty easy.

is there a store that i can just buy a new gear and cog or what ever, im also looking for new handle bars, thanks for your help

You can get things - it depends on what sort of wheel you have. If you have an older style freewheel then you need to get the current one off but then you canjust replace it with a bmx style single speed freewheel.

If you have a more modern cassette then you can get things like this:

1286_500.jpg

Basically it's one cog with spacers so you can line up the chain.

Like I said there's no harm in just leaving your cassette on and removing everything else - other than it weighing a little more.

You can get things - it depends on what sort of wheel you have. If you have an older style freewheel then you need to get the current one off but then you can just replace it with a bmx style single speed freewheel.

If you have a more modern cassette then you can get things like this:

Basically it's one cog with spacers so you can line up the chain.

Like I said there's no harm in just leaving your cassette on and removing everything else - other than it weighing a little more.

yea ill probably do that, do you know any sites that sell handle bars and seats

i wanna paint it grey like this

Crap picture but you get the idea. Haven't been able to ride in a few weeks due to a bent rear wheel.
mad.gif
Figured I'd wait and buy a new rim so I can lace up my Demo cassette hubI've had sitting around for like a month.
grin.gif

Back
Top Bottom