\\ Post Your Car vol. Been a minute //

^ :nthat: Very nice... Personally I like the FJ alot more than the 3

They maintain their value better than the Bimmer too. That car should run to 300k + with very few issues.
Thanks, man!

I agree. 3s are a dime-a-dozen. I'm still going to keep the F30, but will probably focus more on the FJC for now. I actually just came back from riding throughout town to get a better feel of maneuvering it at night & while at the gas station, a fellow FJC owner pulled-in & started chatting it up. I got a heads-up on how to compensate for the blind spots as well as what other FJC owners hear, feel, etc. Dude brought-up the analogy of driving around in a football helmet. Haha! Regardless, I'm definitely loving it so far. For those wanting to be inconspicuous, this is not the automobile for you...

i was thinking of getting the FJ cruiser also. Why do they have two shifter? an auto and manual from what it looks like? 

i was thinking of getting the FJ cruiser also. Why do they have two shifter? an auto and manual from what it looks like? 
The adjacent shifter is the 4x4 system. Both transmissions come with it. However, the manual has full-time 4WD while automatic has part-time 4WD...

and whats the gas mileage like?
I've driven her about 250 miles so far & seem to get 19-20MPG. Really wish they would have made them in diesel, but I knew what I was getting into. I get around the same MPG as I did with the E70 so it's not cumbersome and/or unexpected...

You would have regretted the SL500 if you had got that too. I had a CLK500 and had constant issues. Just this year I had to replace the alternator ($1000), battery($300), multiple control arms($2-300), both valve cover gaskets($600), power steering pump($1000), and had the check engine light come on a week ago for something else. That's not including regular maintenance like tires, brakes, oil, etc.

I also had a friend that bought an E55 with low miles. It had so many problems that he had to get rid of it at a loss quick. The engine blew and all types of crazyiness.

Whoever had the cars before treated them like crap.

Mercedes cars are highly reliable if you're on top of things...as you should be with any car.

BMW's on the other hand are more problematic..with the exception of the e30 & e36.

You would have regretted the SL500 if you had got that too. I had a CLK500 and had constant issues. Just this year I had to replace the alternator ($1000), battery($300), multiple control arms($2-300), both valve cover gaskets($600), power steering pump($1000), and had the check engine light come on a week ago for something else. That's not including regular maintenance like tires, brakes, oil, etc.

I also had a friend that bought an E55 with low miles. It had so many problems that he had to get rid of it at a loss quick. The engine blew and all types of crazyiness.

Whoever had the cars before treated them like crap.

Mercedes cars are highly reliable if you're on top of things...as you should be with any car.

BMW's on the other hand are more problematic..with the exception of the e30 & e36.

Mercedes are junk after 36K miles. The valve cover gaskets fail on all of them after about 50,000 miles requiring a $600+ repair. Also, after 50,000 miles the crankshaft position sensor will fail, leaving you stranded and needing to have the car towed. These are common issues on these cars, along with the power steering pump failing.

I'll only lease a Mercedes from now on, never will buy one. There's a reason the resale on them is so horrible compared to Lexus.

There is a reason this thread here is titled "Infamous Power Steering.."
http://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/224819-infamous-power-steering-whining-noise-problem.html

There are all these search results for benz shutting off while driving. These are newer cars too, like 05's,
https://www.google.com/search?q=ben...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

When I google Honda shutting off while driving, I get results with 1991, 1995, 1998 hondas cutting off. Cars that are like 20 years old.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ben...+while+driving&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

Last edited:
Just picked this up last week & have already started with a few minor additions. After letting go of the E70, I realized that I still needed a larger vehicle so I started looking into a Wrangler, 4Runner, etc. Toyota stated a couple of months ago that 2014 would be the last year for the FJ Cruiser & knowing that this model covers such a small, niche market, I made a quick trip to my local dealer more so as an inquiry. After letting the salesman know that I would be willing to drive it off the lot that day provided the price was right, he quickly drew-up an offer & I left with it. As of now, I definitely prefer the Predator step/nerf bars over the OEM sliders. I'm still looking for a bull bar that isn't too ostentatious as well as a few aesthetic add-ons, but other than that, I'm completely content with the overall look. I just sold my rims from the F30 with the intent of ordering a new set, but I think I'll have fun with this one for awhile...

Here's a shot from earlier today after coming from my buddy's shop. I'm having a few interior pieces like the dashboard cluster redone so that the bezels over the temperature, compass & inclinometer gauges are body matched, but I might just buy brushed aluminum bezels if I don't like the finished product...

Great pickup on the FJ. I've had mine for almost a year and absolutely love it. Join fjcruiserforums.com great amount of info on that site. Any plans for a lift kit?

I'm a little passionate about this topic, having owned an unreliable Benz as well as friends of mine. I don't want to see people make the same mistake I made by listening to people that say that Benz's are reliable.

The quality of Mercedes-Benz has undoubtedly dropped over the years, a fact the carmaker has admitted to, and only recently has it been brought back to a level one would expect from a car wearing the Three Pointed Star. With Chrysler now cut loose, the emphasis on improving quality levels is of top priority at Mercedes says its sales and marketing Chief Dr Klaus Maier.

Many have suggested that a loss of focus and parts sharing with Chrysler following its acquisition back in the mid-1990s were the reasons behind the drop but, according to Maier, it was Mercedes’ own mistakes and quality assurance problems that lead to its decline. “It had nothing to do with Chrysler,” Maier revealed to GoAuto.

Not surprisingly, Mercedes will attempt to maintain many of its ties with Chrysler including the behind-the-scenes cost savings and streamlining that was gained through synergies after the merger.

Product and technology is not the only aspects where Mercedes wants to be a quality leader. Service quality is one area where Mercedes admits it’s lacking in, especially compared with Lexus, which is currently dominating the U.S. luxury market. Numerous reports about poor service at Mercedes dealerships around the world have caused the company to revamp its dealer training systems, however the jury is still out as to whether Mercedes will ever return to its former glory.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1026335_chrysler-not-to-blame-for-mercedes-drop-in-quality

I can only go off what I know, but my family has had 5 different benzes in the last 12 years and we've never had an issue. all maintenance was done on time. the only used car we bought out of those 5 was mine and it was also meticulously maintained by the owner I bought it from.

you've had bad luck, but as far as I know, if you take care of the cars, they'll take care of you.

I can only go off what I know, but my family has had 5 different benzes in the last 12 years and we've never had an issue. all maintenance was done on time. the only used car we bought out of those 5 was mine and it was also meticulously maintained by the owner I bought it from.

you've had bad luck, but as far as I know, if you take care of the cars, they'll take care of you.

QFT.

Had to lear then the hard way before :smh:

This. Been dropping $$ to maintain my 98 camry and it still runs strong.

Just picked this up last week & have already started with a few minor additions. After letting go of the E70, I realized that I still needed a larger vehicle so I started looking into a Wrangler, 4Runner, etc. Toyota stated a couple of months ago that 2014 would be the last year for the FJ Cruiser & knowing that this model covers such a small, niche market, I made a quick trip to my local dealer more so as an inquiry. After letting the salesman know that I would be willing to drive it off the lot that day provided the price was right, he quickly drew-up an offer & I left with it. As of now, I definitely prefer the Predator step/nerf bars over the OEM sliders. I'm still looking for a bull bar that isn't too ostentatious as well as a few aesthetic add-ons, but other than that, I'm completely content with the overall look. I just sold my rims from the F30 with the intent of ordering a new set, but I think I'll have fun with this one for awhile...

Here's a shot from earlier today after coming from my buddy's shop. I'm having a few interior pieces like the dashboard cluster redone so that the bezels over the temperature, compass & inclinometer gauges are body matched, but I might just buy brushed aluminum bezels if I don't like the finished product...

Great pickup on the FJ. I've had mine for almost a year and absolutely love it. Join fjcruiserforums.com great amount of info on that site. Any plans for a lift kit?
Thanks! Just joined a couple of days ago & really wish I could have been a part of some of those group buys as there's a few things I would've easily purchased...

In regards to a lift, I was thinking I might go with a subtle 3" lift kit as I'd still like to have clearance in my garage. As for now, I'll keep it at stock height...

FJ's :smokin They're great vehicles. Congrats on your pickup!

Here's mine. She's dirty.
Thanks, man!

Nice set-up. I was thinking about stowing my bikes inside as well, but I think I'll be better off with a rear rack...

man, thought I was going to be able to post my Z28 in here but I didn't cop. It's a super clean 91 but it's automatic after looking into it it would cost way too much to swap with a six speed. Plus I'll still be swapping an LS in there.

I will post my camaro in here by January though.

Which ones?

If you look you can find some good deals on coils, I got my setup for a straight price.

All I can say to that is that I'm happy that you've had good experiences owning them. Based on the information out there, my experience seems to be more common and you and your family have had good luck.

First some background: For the 2007 edition of its New Car Preview, Consumer Reports surveyed its six million subscribers about what serious problems they had with the cars they own. Some 1.3 million responded and the results weren't good for Mercedes-Benz.

Here's a brief blow-by-blow: In a listing of the least reliable luxury cars, based on 2006 models, three of the six cars are Mercedes: the old S-class (prior to the recent redesign), the CLS and the E-class Sedan.

Same thing in sport cars. Mercedes hogged three of the seven slots for least reliable: the SL, the CLK and the V6 SLK.

Among mid-sized SUVs, the M-class, a quality disaster when it first came out, still ranks as the least reliable in its grouping.

Other luxury manufacturers turn up on the least reliable list, with BMWs, Jaguars and Cadillacs sprinkled throughout.

But what is striking about Mercedes' performance is its consistency. Of the 11 models reviewed by Consumers, none are recommended. Seven are left off of the list because of poor reliability; the remaining four are considered too new to predict.

Mercedes has the worst record of any automaker with that many models. For a brand that claims to be "engineered like no other car in the world," that is fairly frightening.

"They understand the problems and they are fixing some of them, but they have a long way to come," says David Champion, director of automotive testing at Consumers.

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/a...enz_scores_zero_in_consumer_reports_ouch.html

My buddy has a 03 CLK55 AMG with i believe 90k miles on it. in the 2 years hes owned it he has done nothing but dump money into maintenance and repairs.  fuel pump has failed, heated seats dont work, power seats failed, cruise contol doesnt work, starter went out, high beams stopped working. i dont even know the rest, but i know its spent at least 5 months of the last 2 years broken down

Last edited:
Funny how people @#$% on American cars when these supposed "high class" cars are pieces of @#$@. My mom's 2011 E-Class is a joke :lol:

Funny how people @#$% on American cars when these supposed "high class" cars are pieces of @#$@. My mom's 2011 E-Class is a joke
laugh.gif
here's a little known fact:

benz merged with Chrysler because it was up to its eyeballs in debt and da merge cleaned Daimler's books.

you're asking for trouble copping a german luxury whip...all da old ones i see i one da streets stay with da check engine light on.

you're asking for trouble copping a german luxury whip...all da old ones i see i one da streets stay with da check engine light on.

That's because all your homies are copping these whips with 200k on the odometer off a corner lot.

Cars are junk when you treat them like junk and for every person *****ing about their lemon E-Class, you'll have 10 people raving about theirs.

Back
Top Bottom